Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by pmaclell
OOOOOOOOK. Well now I understand the reason for the bullying. No problem!!
Yep. Totally justifies her unprofessional behavior. ^

If I was in 4B or anyway nearby, I would have felt that, even though I wasn't the target of her shenanigans, I still had to bear witness to it. That would result in at least a comment email from me.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I really didn't think I needed to lead with "Not that it justifies her behavior ..." but there seemed to be a presumption that she was just starting her day
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Bad day or not, any non rev with half a brain should know better then to engage in such behavior. Even if the kid was accidently in 'her' seat, if she was my employee and she snapped at a customer like that....id fire her.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
DFW-ATL Thursday evening. UG list was 80+ long. At least first 20 names were DM. GA called SKY, and at least fifty people moved towards the scanner. Some were "gotta board first" types and others hung back, but were definitely in line. There was concern overhead space wouldn't accommodate all SKY. We did run out of space as Zone 1 boarded. Lots of bags got checked and SB wasn't cleared because of the time constraint created by this. (Scored empty seat next to me in coach, which is sometimes as good as and UG.)

Mr. DYKWIA shows up after about 2/3 of SKY has boarded, when those who were being patient were getting towards the front of the line, and tries to butt in at the start of the blue SkyPriority rug, ahead of those who had been waiting all this time. He was wheeling big, and we were being told space was almost gone. When one guy didn't motion him in he said, "My gosh, we will all get there at the same time. I don't understand why some people think it's so important to get on first," to which another passenger replied, "If you don't think it's important, why aren't you just walking to the back of the line? Obviously, you are the one who thinks it's important." Everyone within earshot laughed. He still looked embarrassed ten minutes later when he boarded the plane.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jan 12, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by CJKatl
DFW-ATL Thursday evening. UG list was 80+ long. At least first 20 names were DM. GA called SKY, and at least fifty people moved towards the scanner. Some were "gotta board first" types and others hung back, but were definitely in line. There was concern overhead space wouldn't accommodate all SKY. We did run out of space as Zone 1 boarded. Lots of bags got checked and SB wasn't cleared because of the time constraint created by this. (Scored empty seat next to me in coach, which is sometimes as good as and UG.)

Mr. DYKWIA shows up after about 2/3 of SKY has boarded, when those who were being patient were getting towards the front of the line, and tries to butt in at the start of the blue SkyPriority rug, ahead of those who had been waiting all this time. He was wheeling big, and we were being told space was almost gone. When one guy didn't motion him in he said, "My gosh, we will all get there at the same time. I don't understand why some people think it's so important to get on first," to which another passenger replied, "If you don't think it's important, why aren't you just walking to the back of the line? Obviously, you are the one who thinks it's important." Everyone within earshot laughed. He still looked embarrassed ten minutes later when he boarded the plane.
Whoever said that deserves a high-five. Awesome move and hopefully a reality check for that guy. I always go to the back of the line instead of just lazily merging in like 3 highway lanes winding down to 1 due to road construction.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

Splendid!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

This is a huge point. I see this at MCO and other stations a lot... Prior to boarding, a small lemming line, sometimes larger depending on time of day. If I am there early enough, I will join the "line" as gate lice can be bad at MCO, especially with the families camped out all over the floor.

There are the usual suspects. The "shepherd", who arrives early, usually before the plane has arrived, he has a double stack carry on rollaboard combo - often accompanied. By an extra bag of food/water and a huge coat. The shepherd often parks at the end of the SP line and begins chatting on his phone to make it appear that he is just on the phone, not stalking the gate to be first. Next you have the "Desk Invader". This one arrives second or third and makes himself at home at the corner of the adjoining gate's podium. It is a straight shot to the gate, but out of the way enough that he believes that no one will view him as the over-eager lemming that he is. Next you have the "pole dancer", I often take this position. There is usually pole near the boarding line that you can have easy access to boarding, yet be out of the way. At ATL, the pole dancers are usually replaced by the "wall supports", the guys that hold up the wall in an orderly line.

Usually about this time, the "Friendly Freeloader" arrives. They make just enough small talk with someone to effectively squeeze their way into position.

Next comes the "wireless wanderer". They show up prior to boarding, weaving around the crowd, while on their phone. They eventually plant themselves in the middle of the growing swarm.

Often you will get the "partners in crime", the somewhat DYKWIA couple that is flying together in FC. Their seats aren't together due to last minute upgrades, but they plant themselves in a good boarding position. In hopes that they can poach the two seats together.

Amongst the others in the lemming line are the "season professionals", the older couple who bought F and know their place in line. You also have the "lottery winner". After watching the monitor to see their ug clear, they score a second time by jumping right to the front section of the lemming line like they own the place...

This often sets more wheels into motion, as the rest of the line forms up a bit as the Shepherd anxiously awaits the PREM boarding call.

Just before fc is called, the "party crasher" arrives. They always find some reason to ask the GA something, afterward they somehow find a way to wedge into the very front of the line to be first....

Upon FC being called, the line lunges forward, tightening up to prevent the "sidecars" from pushing ahead of the line that was in place.

Often i hear the comment about everyone getting there at the same time, but ironically. Enough it is from the sidecars and other late arrivers who are trying to justify their breaking the line. This is the one time I could see the UA boarding system working.

Kudos the the person above that called these people out. If its not that important as they say, go to the back of the line. I don't mind being a lemming if common courtesy is extended to keep a proper line.

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Jan 13, 2015 at 5:49 am
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Bad day or not, any non rev with half a brain should know better then to engage in such behavior. Even if the kid was accidently in 'her' seat, if she was my employee and she snapped at a customer like that....id fire her.
This is especially bad since she was in uniform.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
This is a huge point. I see this at MCO and other stations a lot... Prior to boarding, a small lemming line, sometimes larger depending on time of day. If I am there early enough, I will join the "line" as gate lice can be bad at MCO, especially with the families camped out all over the floor.

There are the usual suspects. The "shepherd", who arrives early, usually before the plane has arrived, he has a double stack carry on rollaboard combo - often accompanied. By an extra bag of food/water and a huge coat. The shepherd often parks at the end of the SP line and begins chatting on his phone to make it appear that he is just on the phone, not stalking the gate to be first. Next you have the "Desk Invader". This one arrives second or third and makes himself at home at the corner of the adjoining gate's podium. It is a straight shot to the gate, but out of the way enough that he believes that no one will view him as the over-eager lemming that he is. Next you have the "pole dancer", I often take this position. There is usually pole near the boarding line that you can have easy access to boarding, yet be out of the way. At ATL, the pole dancers are usually replaced by the "wall supports", the guys that hold up the wall in an orderly line.

Usually about this time, the "Friendly Freeloader" arrives. They make just enough small talk with someone to effectively squeeze their way into position.

Next comes the "wireless wanderer". They show up prior to boarding, weaving around the crowd, while on their phone. They eventually plant themselves in the middle of the growing swarm.

Often you will get the "partners in crime", the somewhat DYKWIA couple that is flying together in FC. Their seats aren't together due to last minute upgrades, but they plant themselves in a good boarding position. In hopes that they can poach the two seats together.

Amongst the others in the lemming line are the "season professionals", the older couple who bought F and know their place in line. You also have the "lottery winner". After watching the monitor to see their ug clear, they score a second time by jumping right to the front section of the lemming line like they own the place...

This often sets more wheels into motion, as the rest of the line forms up a bit as the Shepherd anxiously awaits the PREM boarding call.

Just before fc is called, the "party crasher" arrives. They always find some reason to ask the GA something, afterward they somehow find a way to wedge into the very front of the line to be first....

Upon FC being called, the line lunges forward, tightening up to prevent the "sidecars" from pushing ahead of the line that was in place.

Often i hear the comment about everyone getting there at the same time, but ironically. Enough it is from the sidecars and other late arrivers who are trying to justify their breaking the line. This is the one time I could see the UA boarding system working.

Kudos the the person above that called these people out. If its not that important as they say, go to the back of the line. I don't mind being a lemming if common courtesy is extended to keep a proper line.
This is awesome. You should apply for government funding to study the psychology of airline boarding
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
This is awesome. You should apply for government funding to study the psychology of airline boarding
LOL. I totally forgot the variables. That can cause the biggest wrinkles. "Flock Followers" & "Clueless Kettles", who just join the masses of people because otherwise they miss out on something. They inhibit the line flow and are the true species we know as the gate louse. And let me not forget the "Sky Shamers", The SKY ZONE folks who missed the ug and now have to do the walk of shame to Y. They also inhibit the FC lemming line. To me, if I have to do the walk of shame, I would rather blend in with the herd as to not call myself out😊.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:28 am

LOL. I totally forgot the variables. That can cause the biggest wrinkles. "Flock Followers" & "Clueless Kettles", who just join the masses of people because otherwise they miss out on something. They inhibit the line flow and are the true species we know as the gate louse. And let me not forget the "Sky Shamers", The SKY ZONE folks who missed the ug and now have to do the walk of shame to Y. They also inhibit the FC lemming line. To me, if I have to do the walk of shame, I would rather blend in with the herd as to not call myself out😊.
How about the "pop-up posers", those DMs and PMs who line up to board in PREM even if their UG hasn't cleared, because *certainly* it is a mistake that they haven't cleared, and they will channel the magical pop-up upon boarding.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
How about the "pop-up posers", those DMs and PMs who line up to board in PREM even if their UG hasn't cleared, because *certainly* it is a mistake that they haven't cleared, and they will channel the magical pop-up upon boarding.
They become Sky Shamers
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
The DYKWIA thread - just keeps on giving. I just love it.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG

This is a classic.^
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
This is a classic.^
Thanks. Sorry for the typos, I should not have ventured into such a post while on my phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.