Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Perhaps an infrequent flier DYKWIA?!

MSP-MKE 12/19 on a MD-90.

I had seat 10B. I love 10A and 10B on that aircraft because the "bulkhead" is really just a soft curtain and you can use the space under the seat in front of you for storage or extensive leg room.

I was sitting in my seat while boarding progressed. A woman stopped at the row and asked if I'd be willing to take the other aisle seat, 10C, so she could sit with (I presume) her mother. As many of you know, 10C is the absolute worst seat to be in during boarding because the aisle takes a sharp angle after first class, so you get kicked and hit by just about every person walking past. I swapped because she asked nicely.

I moved my bag to the opposite overhead. She and her companion proceed to carry on eight (8) bags including 2 rollaboards that they stowed sideways in the upper bin. They also had 2 full Lululemon bags, 2 other shopping bags and 2 purses. They quickly found that 6 bags weren't going to fit under the seat. The woman who switched seats with me then had the nerve to attempt to put one of her bags under the seat in front of me!

I said "No, that's not happening". She proceeded to put the excess bag above unoccupied F seats. A FA witnessed the whole thing, rolled his eyes and gave me a sympathetic look. He later tossed me a couple extra bags of pretzels for accepting the "knee bruise" seat.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Sousaphil

I had seat 10B. I love 10A and 10B on that aircraft because the "bulkhead" is really just a soft curtain and you can use the space under the seat in front of you for storage or extensive leg room.

I was sitting in my seat while boarding progressed. A woman stopped at the row and asked if I'd be willing to take the other aisle seat, 10C, so she could sit with (I presume) her mother. As many of you know, 10C is the absolute worst seat to be in during boarding because the aisle takes a sharp angle after first class, so you get kicked and hit by just about every person walking past. I swapped because she asked nicely.

I moved my bag to the opposite overhead. She and her companion proceed to carry on eight (8) bags including 2 rollaboards that they stowed sideways in the upper bin. They also had 2 full Lululemon bags, 2 other shopping bags and 2 purses. They quickly found that 6 bags weren't going to fit under the seat. The woman who switched seats with me then had the nerve to attempt to put one of her bags under the seat in front of me!

I said "No, that's not happening". She proceeded to put the excess bag above unoccupied F seats. A FA witnessed the whole thing, rolled his eyes and gave me a sympathetic look. He later tossed me a couple extra bags of pretzels for accepting the "knee bruise" seat.
That's not a DYKWIA - that's just generally clueless, and given the timing probably toting around a bunch of Christmas gifts. I'm more disappointed they got all that past the GA.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but I despise 10C so much that I would have probably suggested that the woman have her mother switch with 10D. Mother and daughter are together and 10D would almost certainly be willing to take a window vs. middle.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... If husband is really DM, she would know and use that term rather than claiming "highest level."
she probably couldn't pronounce "Kryptonium"
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
That's not a DYKWIA - that's just generally clueless, and given the timing probably toting around a bunch of Christmas gifts. I'm more disappointed they got all that past the GA.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but I despise 10C so much that I would have probably suggested that the woman have her mother switch with 10D. Mother and daughter are together and 10D would almost certainly be willing to take a window vs. middle.
This. I always frown when I see passengers abusing the system, and the GAs not enforcing. Waiting to board SLC-JFK last week - was watching SLC-BOS board. A gentlemen in group 3 trotted into line with 2 rollaboards, a large duffle and a laptop bag. All for himself? After hearing the GA give her speech about "full flight, any takers for free check?". GA let him waltz past with his truckload of baggage, no problem. Oh well.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta SM
CC Sabathia
Cops Called After Airport Freakout

Nobody likes missing their flight ... including MLB star CC Sabathia ... who was so upset after missing his plane to Jamaica, cops were called to calm down the big fella ... TMZ Sports has learned.

Sabathia -- along with 11 people in his party -- arrived to the Newark International Airport on Saturday morning ... only to be told they were too late to board the flight.

As one source put it, "CC started freaking out" on airline staff -- and that's when someone called the NY Port Authority for help.

Fortunately for CC, this story has a happy ending ... we're told cops helped CC cool off and the NY Yankees pitcher was able to book a later flight for his entire party.

No arrests. No citations. And eventually, the gang made it to Jamaica to start their vacation.

We reached out to CC, his reps and the Yankees for comment -- so far no word back.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/28/cc-sab...#ixzz3NQ0Tll9d
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by 1200GS
This. I always frown when I see passengers abusing the system, and the GAs not enforcing. Waiting to board SLC-JFK last week - was watching SLC-BOS board. A gentlemen in group 3 trotted into line with 2 rollaboards, a large duffle and a laptop bag. All for himself? After hearing the GA give her speech about "full flight, any takers for free check?". GA let him waltz past with his truckload of baggage, no problem. Oh well.
Maybe in group 3, the GA figures they will end up checking the bags anyway, so it's not worth the argument. I agree, however, that it is infuriating.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by zoo260
CC Sabathia
Cops Called After Airport Freakout

Nobody likes missing their flight ... including MLB star CC Sabathia ... who was so upset after missing his plane to Jamaica, cops were called to calm down the big fella ... TMZ Sports has learned.

Sabathia -- along with 11 people in his party -- arrived to the Newark International Airport on Saturday morning ... only to be told they were too late to board the flight.

As one source put it, "CC started freaking out" on airline staff -- and that's when someone called the NY Port Authority for help.

Fortunately for CC, this story has a happy ending ... we're told cops helped CC cool off and the NY Yankees pitcher was able to book a later flight for his entire party.

No arrests. No citations. And eventually, the gang made it to Jamaica to start their vacation.

We reached out to CC, his reps and the Yankees for comment -- so far no word back.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/28/cc-sab...#ixzz3NQ0Tll9d
Man, I hate the way TMZ writes. Sounds like an out-of-breath teenager.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stencil
Man, I hate the way TMZ writes. Sounds like an out-of-breath teenager.
Know your audience....
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
nice for the holdays

Originally Posted by Sousaphil

I had seat 10B. . . . A woman stopped at the row and asked if I'd be willing to take the other aisle seat, 10C, . . . the absolute worst seat to be in during boarding because the aisle takes a sharp angle after first class, so you get kicked and hit by just about every person walking past. I swapped because she asked nicely.
Even better, swap after boarding was finished @:-) ?

But kudos to you for the nice gesture for the holidays.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
You all are awfully hasty to condemn. I often carry my partner's stuff on board while she is in gift shop or bathroom etc Yuu know what the first three letters of Assume is
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
I just got back to flying with Delta in May after a 6 years on United. The biggest item I have noticed is how lazy Delta stewardesses are at enforcing rules. I would say that they just do not want to be confrontational, but some situations are just blatantly lazy.

Sad. I appreciate a very German approach to the boarding process. Rules should be strictly enforced and the boarding process executed quickly.

I did get on one Delta Connection flight and the stewardess did an excellent job at enforcing the rules for baggage and getting people into their seats quickly. I was impressed, but then all the other Diamond flyers around me complained that she was too uptight.

I guess they cannot win.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by mrboom
I just got back to flying with Delta in May after a 6 years on United. The biggest item I have noticed is how lazy Delta stewardesses are at enforcing rules. I would say that they just do not want to be confrontational, but some situations are just blatantly lazy.

Sad. I appreciate a very German approach to the boarding process. Rules should be strictly enforced and the boarding process executed quickly.

I did get on one Delta Connection flight and the stewardess did an excellent job at enforcing the rules for baggage and getting people into their seats quickly. I was impressed, but then all the other Diamond flyers around me complained that she was too uptight.

I guess they cannot win.
I'm very grateful that Germany lost WWII.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm very grateful that Germany lost WWII.
So am I, but the war has nothing to do with my appreciation for efficient and effective processes and work ethic.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
So am I, but the war has nothing to do with my appreciation for efficient and effective processes and work ethic.
Not so much in the case of the new Berlin airport. Now looking to open six years behind schedule:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...2017/20434317/

David
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
I guess they cannot win.
You couldn't have said it better !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.