Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by gooselee
Over on the gate lice thread someone suggested yelling "Hot soup comin' through!"
That was me.

It works; and it has not failed me yet in getting through a crowd — and not just at airports, either.

Do it in an authoritative voice. Pepper in “Excuse me, please” a few times to remain polite but firm. The crowd usually parts for me — as if by automatic reflex — where I can get through quickly without pushing anyone. By the time people figure out what had just happened, I am long gone.

By the way, I only use this technique sparingly. I typically say “excuse me” when someone is blocking my way.

Coincidentally, I was actually eating soup when I read what you posted...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Canarsie
That was me.

It works; and it has not failed me yet in getting through a crowd — and not just at airports, either.

Do it in an authoritative voice. Pepper in “Excuse me, please” a few times to remain polite but firm. The crowd usually parts for me — as if by automatic reflex — where I can get through quickly without pushing anyone. By the time people figure out what had just happened, I am long gone.

By the way, I only use this technique sparingly. I typically say “excuse me” when someone is blocking my way.

Coincidentally, I was actually eating soup when I read what you posted...
This might also work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Rule #557575 as to why I use one bag, a backpack that goes on my back (max size for a carryon). It stills sticks out but its better imo then a roller that runs over peoples toes and is a pain to move out of the way.

and since its not oversized... i havent had to gate check it :P except for a few RJ flights of course.
If you have one bag then I assume that it contains important essentials... laptop(s), iPad, medications, etc.? You let that out of your sight?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:42 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
My guess is you'd have less success with that technique in the US because we do less biking than other parts of the world. You go to Europe and Asia and people are more conscious of bikes and right of way. Just take notice on escalators where people actually stand on the right and walk up the escalator on the left, rarely do I see that happen in the states.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Oh exalted ones

The very usage of "kettles" "lice" etc shows me that we must all bow to your exalted self - we are sorry, we did not know how important you were
+1
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
The characters in the book also spawned a series of Ma and Pa Kettle movies.

I also dislike the use of the term in reference to non-elite passengers.
I use it and don't mean anything bad by it, but I think it should be Kettle, not kettle. For one thing, the Ma and Pa Kettle in the Ma and Pa Kettle movies were honest, intelligent people, just unsophisticated - not dissolute like the ones (especially Pa) in the book by Betty MacDonald.

On Christmas 2012 MSP-BDL I sat in F on an upgrade next to an empty seat. I told my wife that Delta was trying to sell the seats to Kettles for $100 and finding no takers. By that, I was expressing a view of Kettles as people who had better sense than to pay $100 for a lackluster product.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
Boarding at Changi is very well organized. The new big blue/red Priority attachment to the Boarding pass is great, and the separate, less crowded area is appreciated. They used to have an area for families with little one, which I thought was great. But I didn't see it this time, but I was sleepy. Lol

I'm not sure all Asian airports are as well organized as SIN. Boarding at Narita is still a bit of a 'free for all.' An earlier post suggested that 'language' issues may be partly to blame, and that could be the case at NRT, though the PA system there is a lot clearer than at many airports - especially CDG!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many DL gates at NRT don't have much space. That's at least part of the problem there.
The arrangement at SIN is SP pound closest to gate then families in Nov. The SP tag/attachment is great and make IDing everyone easier for the GA.

NRT's lack of space is a big issue to line up the different group. The Japanese GAs are doing a very commendable job with the close proximity, crowds and language issues. DL's NRT announcements are in English and Japanese but IMHO 50% or more of the kettle transiting at NRT does not fully comprehend either.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:16 pm
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
Originally Posted by tentseller
The arrangement at SIN is SP pound closest to gate then families in Nov. The SP tag/attachment is great and make IDing everyone easier for the GA.

NRT's lack of space is a big issue to line up the different group. The Japanese GAs are doing a very commendable job with the close proximity, crowds and language issues. DL's NRT announcements are in English and Japanese but IMHO 50% or more of the kettle transiting at NRT does not fully comprehend either.
Yes, you're right, especially about the space problem at NRT. And the GAs there are very nice, incomparably nicer and more professional than the GA I 'encountered' at JFK the other weekend.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
The Japanese GAs are doing a very commendable job with the close proximity, crowds and language issues. DL's NRT announcements are in English and Japanese but IMHO 50% or more of the kettle transiting at NRT does not fully comprehend either.
In these days of technology, a big screen flashing the current boarding group isn't a hard thing to do. (They already have upgrade lists displayed.) Or even better, a BP scanner that will automatically reject not-yet-called boarding groups and reclassify them as the last group (UA might call it Group 6).
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
In these days of technology, a big screen flashing the current boarding group isn't a hard thing to do. (They already have upgrade lists displayed.) Or even better, a BP scanner that will automatically reject not-yet-called boarding groups and reclassify them as the last group (UA might call it Group 6).
Great idea.

Also a translating program that would translate and announce boarding protocol into whatever languages are spoken by checked in passengers (up to 4 different languages?)
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
Great idea.

Also a translating program that would translate and announce boarding protocol into whatever languages are spoken by checked in passengers (up to 4 different languages?)
Just go with the universal language of numbers from one on down.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Godot
Long time lurker of this thread, just thought I'd drop this story from the Guardian. Clearly Korean Air gets the true DYKWIAs.

Originally Posted by Godot View Post
Long time lurker of this thread, just thought I'd drop this story from the Guardian. Clearly Korean Air gets the true DYKWIAs.

Cho Hyun-ah reportedly screamed at the flight attendant, who has not been named, for not asking her if she would like a preflight snack of macadamia nuts, and then for committing the egregious act of serving them in a paper bag rather than on a plate.

At one point, Cho reportedly told the attendant to fetch the in-flight service manual so that she could check company policy on serving nuts in the first-class cabin.

Cho, who is also known by her English name Heather, then ordered the attendant to leave the plane while it was readying for takeoff, the South Korean news agency Yonhap said.

The incident delayed flight KE088’s arrival at Incheon airport, near Seoul, by 11 minutes, it added.

We can read the highlighted phrase in different ways.
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Gangnam style!
Follow up as to the identity of the DYKWIA;

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/articl...g-investigated

Her father is CEO of KE and She is an exec VP.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:23 pm

Oh, the poor wee lassie. If she'd flown in the DL EC+ she'd have no complaints.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:54 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
I have to confess to rolling my eyes when a service dog literally takes up three seats and then some.

Father forgive me, etc................
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
I have to confess to rolling my eyes when a service dog literally takes up three seats and then some.

Father forgive me, etc................
There is a beautiful young woman who lives near me and has never seen the US. Can I take her with me at no charge as a comfort animal?
I am willing to allow her to share my lie-flat seat so she will not take up any extra space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.