Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bonehead
My thought as well reading through the latest set of lice-inspired posts. UA has largely eliminated the possibility of lower-caste lice blocking the way for exalted elites like me. I really like the new lane system...perhaps DL should follow.
Maybe UA is trying to become like WN but I don't want DL to go down that path.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe UA is trying to become like WN but I don't want DL to go down that path.
I don't like having to 'fight' for a seat on WN, and will not fly them unless I really can't prevent it.

But as far as boarding goes I prefer at least some kind of organization, not the basic clusterf***k that Delta has at just about every airport.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
I don't like having to 'fight' for a seat on WN, and will not fly them unless I really can't prevent it.

But as far as boarding goes I prefer at least some kind of organization, not the basic clusterf***k that Delta has at just about every airport.
I won't fly WN. Never have.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
MSP today, Gate G20 for DL348. Sky priority boarding was announced and there were these three men with oversize roller standing and blocking the lane. I ask them "Sky Priority?" they said no. I reply "they are boarding Sky riority so can the passenger with Sky Priority get by?" they did not move so I had to force my way pass them followed by the rest of the Sky Priority group.
Later near end of boarding, two of them had a heated discussion with the GA/FA who were forcing them to check their oversize rollers.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:18 pm

It sounds like the GA did a good job of not allowing them to board early, before their zone was called.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: US Gold | DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like the GA did a good job of not allowing them to board early, before their zone was called.
... but not stipulating that they keep the boarding area clear for other passengers to board. I'm not sure why GAs aren't more insistent, after all, gate lice, especially ones like were described, are an impediment to the boarding process and create a greater likelihood of pushing back late as opposed to having an on-time departure.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by pntherpaw86
... but not stipulating that they keep the boarding area clear for other passengers to board. I'm not sure why GAs aren't more insistent, after all, gate lice, especially ones like were described, are an impediment to the boarding process and create a greater likelihood of pushing back late as opposed to having an on-time departure.
Maybe because it would take time for the GA to stop other tasks to argue with them?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by udontknowme
They're gate LICE, not gate ants. Sugar has no effect.
Aren't you being nit picky?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've found just saying "Coming through" works fine. It's all in the tone of voice. ("If you would prefer me to walk past you rather than through you, all you need do is step aside. It doesn't matter to me.")
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gooselee
Over on the gate lice thread someone suggested yelling "Hot soup comin' through!"

Haven't developed the appropriate cajones to try that one out yet.
I am so totally using this!

O/H
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Bonehead
My thought as well reading through the latest set of lice-inspired posts. UA has largely eliminated the possibility of lower-caste lice blocking the way for exalted elites like me. I really like the new lane system...perhaps DL should follow.
Oh exalted ones

The very usage of "kettles" "lice" etc shows me that we must all bow to your exalted self - we are sorry, we did not know how important you were
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:00 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Flip side of the story. Some of us are "walking wounded" or "semi-disabled." We don't need a wheelchair or that type of assistance but because of illness, age or physical condition it can take longer to board and get settled in. If I am up front that's never a problem but sometimes if I am in the back on a crowded plane I will take a preboard -- after advising the GA of the situation -- and that is done largely as a favor to other pax who would be inconvenienced by my blocking the aisle in order to get baggage stowed and situated in my seat. Just because someone isn't on crutches or in a wheelchair does not mean they are not injured or could risk injury. (Yes, I have seen people milk this but the best thing to do is approach the GA in advance and politely explain.) And some people have other medical conditions which may necessitate either early boarding or certain seats, etc. Sometimes I feel bad when I decline a request to give up an aisle seat for a family, etc., but there are times when medication forces numerous restroom visits. Most people understand if you tell them the truth.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
Why aren't the the DL GAs doing their job, and telling people to move away from the boarding lanes?

At Changi, there is a separate SP seating area. Admittance is monitored by an agent. Civilised. That's not likely to happen here, but at least the GAs could exercise more control/organization. Flying is grim enough for pax without having to do crowd control.
I always puzzle me that the DL GA(contracted) in the asian outpost does a better job of gate control contrary to the social norm of the region.

Left SIN in Nov and they staple a red and blue half of the boarding pass Sky Priority tag to the top of the BP. That helped the GA, security and immigration staff to know who is entitled to use the lanes. The GA also turned three family with over-sized children under 2 and the wheelchair users' entourage away during early boarding.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:55 am
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
Originally Posted by tentseller
I always puzzle me that the DL GA(contracted) in the asian outpost does a better job of gate control contrary to the social norm of the region.

Left SIN in Nov and they staple a red and blue half of the boarding pass Sky Priority tag to the top of the BP. That helped the GA, security and immigration staff to know who is entitled to use the lanes. The GA also turned three family with over-sized children under 2 and the wheelchair users' entourage away during early boarding.
Boarding at Changi is very well organized. The new big blue/red Priority attachment to the Boarding pass is great, and the separate, less crowded area is appreciated. They used to have an area for families with little one, which I thought was great. But I didn't see it this time, but I was sleepy. Lol

I'm not sure all Asian airports are as well organized as SIN. Boarding at Narita is still a bit of a 'free for all.' An earlier post suggested that 'language' issues may be partly to blame, and that could be the case at NRT, though the PA system there is a lot clearer than at many airports - especially CDG!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:57 am

Many DL gates at NRT don't have much space. That's at least part of the problem there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.