FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:00 am
Dick Ginkowski

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Flip side of the story. Some of us are "walking wounded" or "semi-disabled." We don't need a wheelchair or that type of assistance but because of illness, age or physical condition it can take longer to board and get settled in. If I am up front that's never a problem but sometimes if I am in the back on a crowded plane I will take a preboard -- after advising the GA of the situation -- and that is done largely as a favor to other pax who would be inconvenienced by my blocking the aisle in order to get baggage stowed and situated in my seat. Just because someone isn't on crutches or in a wheelchair does not mean they are not injured or could risk injury. (Yes, I have seen people milk this but the best thing to do is approach the GA in advance and politely explain.) And some people have other medical conditions which may necessitate either early boarding or certain seats, etc. Sometimes I feel bad when I decline a request to give up an aisle seat for a family, etc., but there are times when medication forces numerous restroom visits. Most people understand if you tell them the truth.