Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:59 am
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
Why aren't the the DL GAs doing their job, and telling people to move away from the boarding lanes?

At Changi, there is a separate SP seating area. Admittance is monitored by an agent. Civilised. That's not likely to happen here, but at least the GAs could exercise more control/organization. Flying is grim enough for pax without having to do crowd control.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
Why aren't the the DL GAs doing their job, and telling people to move away from the boarding lanes?

At Changi, there is a separate SP seating area. Admittance is monitored by an agent. Civilised. That's not likely to happen here, but at least the GAs could exercise more control/organization. Flying is grim enough for pax without having to do crowd control.
I would be in favor of using lanes like United does. Or at least extend the barrier between Sky and general boarding to 3x the current length, so that it is really inconvenient for kettles to be standing on the wrong side of the barrier, thus enticing them to stand on the other side.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:11 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by gloobnib
This is exactly the problem why people crowd the gate area. The GA starts a long convoluted speech that mentions everybody's zone at some point. The PA systems are poorly designed and cannot always be heard beyond 20-30 feet from the GA. Add in the continuous "Attention airport security alert" and "Hello I am mayor Greene" airport announcements, plus the extraordinarily loud BEEP BEEP of the electric carts. Oh and maybe 2 other gates in the area also loading pax.

Just look around during the boarding announcement for the the dozen or so pax who obviously travel rarely. Observe their asking each other "what did she say?" and "Who are they boarding now?". OF COURSE they will crowd the GA trying to figure out what they are being asked to do.

Try to have a little empathy...

/RANT
+1 to this. How many times have I been waiting to board a flight and the gate next door is leaving right around the same time and boarding a couple of zones ahead so people hear their zone and think they can board, but really it's the flight next door that's boarding their zone.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mridley2
Last night at PHX on the 11:30pm PHX-JFK red eye. Due to late arriving aircraft, the GA boards F first rather than pre-board passengers. There were so many gate lice hovering around the gate area that I wasn't able to get to the sky priority lane. None of the lice were qualified for pre-board anyway so there was no reason for everyone to be standing that close to the gate blocking everyone.

After snaking my way through I finally got close to the entrance to the SKY lane and a group of 4 were literally standing shoulder to shoulder intentionally blocking others from passing by. I exclaimed in a slightly elevated and commanding voice "excuse me!" As I passed through I overheard "Oh Jesus" and "what's his problem?" I didn't reply to these remarks but my thoughts were call me mridley2 and and my problem is you will not get out of the damn way so those whose zone is being called are able to board.

This was after the GA made repeated announcements about the flight being full and those pax seated in Zones 2 & 3 would have to gate check their bags since there wouldn't be enough space to fit everyone's bag. I understand passengers want to stand near the gate to improve their chances of boarding at the beginning of their zone but it is inexcusable for passengers to block the gate area entirely. Partly I blame the GA's for causing such a panic but I understand that since it does alert passengers to remove imperative items from their bags in case they are required to check. But the GA should also announce & enforce the unspoken rule of those in the gate area to clear a path so passengers can board without hassle or delay.

Were my comments selfish or DYKWIA behavior? I do not think so but it did get quite the response from the east team in their fictitious game of red rover red rover.
I will ask once, then just walk forwards
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
I'm imagining we're talking one of the horribly cramped corners of MSP where there's no real space for people to move to because of the restrooms, fixed seating, snack bar, bar, etc. are all in the way. And once you get somewhere around the bar, it gets hard to hear boarding announcement for your correct boarding group.

Last time I was through there, it was all the GAs could to to get the literal squatters to go sit on another part of the floor vaguely close to their gate.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
+1 to this. How many times have I been waiting to board a flight and the gate next door is leaving right around the same time and boarding a couple of zones ahead so people hear their zone and think they can board, but really it's the flight next door that's boarding their zone.
Some GAs clearly state the destination and flight number before stating the zone. I think this should be mandatory for all gate announcements. Too often, the announcement is simply "zone 2" without mentioning the destination at all. This might be ok at an oustation with 5 flights a day but is unacceptable at any hub.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not even at a hub ... I'm sure you have seen how DCA can get kind of chaotic with ATL/MSP/DTW/LGA all boarding within 5-10 min of each other a couple times during the day
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Very true. I was thinking that but didn't type it. Even DAY the other day had flights to ATL, MSP, and DTW leaving at about the same time. If they just made it part of the general script this would at least help somewhat and prevent those of us trying to board with our zones from engaging in DYKWIA-esque behavior.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
I can understand how this can happen in older terminals, but why are the announcements this bad in ATL Concourse F, which is brand new? I was waiting for a flight to board, and the announcements for the flight (and the GA was not mentioning that flight or gate number in the announcement) at an adjacent gate were blaring right overhead.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Even DAY the other day had flights to ATL, MSP, and DTW leaving at about the same time.
I know -tell me about it - B12, B13 and B14 a real pain in the you know where.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I haven't flown out of DAY in about 4 years, but I remember that area WAY too well from approx monthly trips for the prior 8-9 years
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
How about the RJ corral area in JFK T2 -- that can be a terribly chaotic gate area. Several gates crammed together sharing a departure info board and flights leaving every few minutes during busy times. Overlapping announcements, etc. To be avoided at all costs if possible.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by gloobnib
This is exactly the problem why people crowd the gate area. The GA starts a long convoluted speech that mentions everybody's zone at some point. The PA systems are poorly designed and cannot always be heard beyond 20-30 feet from the GA. Add in the continuous "Attention airport security alert" and "Hello I am mayor Greene" airport announcements, plus the extraordinarily loud BEEP BEEP of the electric carts. Oh and maybe 2 other gates in the area also loading pax.

Just look around during the boarding announcement for the the dozen or so pax who obviously travel rarely. Observe their asking each other "what did she say?" and "Who are they boarding now?". OF COURSE they will crowd the GA trying to figure out what they are being asked to do.

Try to have a little empathy...

/RANT
I used to be empathetic and assume they were novice fliers, but it's run out. Go to an Alaska gate - they have only 3/4 clearly defined groups (first, elites, general [sometimes split by rows depending on the plane]), they have TV monitors showing clearly what group is boarding, and still there's a sometimes impenetrably ring of gate lice. They're not oblivious, the majority know exactly what they're doing - they're positioning themselves to mad rush the gate when their zone is finally called.

Now, that said, the vast majority of people are receptive to a simple "excuse me"; the people with headphones blaring get a tap on the shoulder, and I weasel on through. But the people that refuse to move and are blocking access to the gate long before their zone is called are the DYKWIA - not the people who actually should be boarding and are being blocked.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
How about the RJ corral area in JFK T2 -- that can be a terribly chaotic gate area. Several gates crammed together sharing a departure info board and flights leaving every few minutes during busy times. Overlapping announcements, etc. To be avoided at all costs if possible.
LAX T5 where gates 54-59 are all piled in... Well LAX is to be avoided at all costs if possible, in general.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
I would be in favor of using lanes like United does....
My thought as well reading through the latest set of lice-inspired posts. UA has largely eliminated the possibility of lower-caste lice blocking the way for exalted elites like me. I really like the new lane system...perhaps DL should follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.