Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
I don't think so and I have to deal with this all the time at the G gates in MSP due to they way they are laid out. I had a very similar situation to yours last week where a group of people were completely blocking the boarding process. First class was called and the rush to the gate started but this group moved up and then stopped, blocking access to everyone behind them.

I asked one young man if he was boarding and he said yes. The guy next to him then said, "no, they are boarding first class". I then said, "thank you, will you excuse me?" and then squeezed past them. They did separate as I passed through and I don't think they did it intentionally.
I had a worse one recently some months ago at MSP, IIRC also from a G gate. FC was boarding an no one was moving, just gate lice standing there blocking access to the SkyPriority lane. I said "excuse me" FOUR times, a bit louder each time to the group of kettles immediately in from of me. Then I tried "please move." Finally I said "if you're not boarding with first class, please get out of the way for those who are in first class." They finally moved a bit, while grumbling loudly about how rude I was.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I had a worse one recently some months ago at MSP, IIRC also from a G gate. FC was boarding an no one was moving, just gate lice standing there blocking access to the SkyPriority lane. I said "excuse me" FOUR times, a bit louder each time to the group of kettles immediately in from of me. Then I tried "please move." Finally I said "if you're not boarding with first class, please get out of the way for those who are in first class." They finally moved a bit, while grumbling loudly about how rude I was.
I second your comments, I flew out of one of the G gates recently and there was no space at all for passengers to board with all of the lice.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Then I tried "please move." Finally I said "if you're not boarding with first class, please get out of the way for those who are in first class." They finally moved a bit, while grumbling loudly about how rude I was.
Have to agree with both of you G gates can be bad, especially when a flight is delayed and everyone seems to hug the gate area.

Nevertheless not going to say 'excuse me' four times. If excuse me doesn't work with gate lice it's generally time for a more direct approach; excuse me may i ask why you are blocking this area? (toedeledoekie, verschwinden please...)
In the beginning you will you will feel very uncomfortable doing that but this is why it's great to have a JV with KLM and where your experience with KLM's idea of Sky Priority @AMS comes in handy (Please proceed directly to the front and let it to their FFs to fight their way through the row and endure comments/arguments with their fellow passengers without status).

For AMS, SOP for me; ignore G6a and go for G6b
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Grouchy
...In the beginning you will you will feel very uncomfortable doing that but this is why it's great to have a JV with KLM and where your experience with KLM's idea of Sky Priority @AMS comes in handy...
SP boarding at AMS is "hold this SP boarding card above your head as you try to fight your way to the gate through the crowds of people standing around."
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
SP boarding at AMS is "hold this SP boarding card above your head as you try to fight your way to the gate through the crowds of people standing around."
That's if you are lucky and fly DL, otherwise you won't get a SP boarding card
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Grouchy
That's if you are lucky and fly DL, otherwise you won't get a SP boarding card
Ah, you are correct of course. True KLM boarding certainly builds character and toughens you up, that's for sure!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:39 pm

Even though you might not have used the terms, it seems like you viewed these folks as nothing more than kettles and gate lice, and that came through in the way you spoke to them, so no wonder they weren't too quick to move out of your way.

In the alternative, a spoonful of sugar can do wonders.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Even though you might not have used the terms, it seems like you viewed these folks as nothing more than kettles and gate lice, and that came through in the way you spoke to them, so no wonder they weren't too quick to move out of your way.

In the alternative, a spoonful of sugar can do wonders.
They're gate LICE, not gate ants. Sugar has no effect.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by mridley2

After snaking my way through I finally got close to the entrance to the SKY lane and a group of 4 were literally standing shoulder to shoulder intentionally blocking others from passing by. I exclaimed in a slightly elevated and commanding voice "excuse me!" As I passed through I overheard "Oh Jesus" and "what's his problem?" I didn't reply to these remarks but my thoughts were call me mridley2 and and my problem is you will not get out of the damn way so those whose zone is being called are able to board.

This was after the GA made repeated announcements about the flight being full and those pax seated in Zones 2 & 3 would have to gate check their bags since there wouldn't be enough space to fit everyone's bag. I understand passengers want to stand near the gate to improve their chances of boarding at the beginning of their zone but it is inexcusable for passengers to block the gate area entirely. Partly I blame the GA's for causing such a panic but I understand that since it does alert passengers to remove imperative items from their bags in case they are required to check. But the GA should also announce & enforce the unspoken rule of those in the gate area to clear a path so passengers can board without hassle or delay.

Were my comments selfish or DYKWIA behavior? I do not think so but it did get quite the response from the east team in their fictitious game of red rover red rover.
I think that you are one of the worst DYKWIA Perhaps all should board like SW
Maybe "these lice" had never flown before
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by BeatCal
I think this comment is a little harsh, though not entirely out of line.

I am taken a bit by "I exclaimed in a slightly elevated and commanding voice". When confronted with similar situations I've generally found that a kindly "Excuse me, folks" is sufficient.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Esltroy
LOL . I have met that guy and many of his family members.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by spcran4d
I think this comment is a little harsh, though not entirely out of line.

I am taken a bit by "I exclaimed in a slightly elevated and commanding voice". When confronted with similar situations I've generally found that a kindly "Excuse me, folks" is sufficient.
Over on the gate lice thread someone suggested yelling "Hot soup comin' through!"

Haven't developed the appropriate cajones to try that one out yet.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: US Gold | DL Gold
Originally Posted by BeatCal
One of the worst DYKWIA? For expecting to be able to board when your zone is called without a crowd of people blocking your way that aren't allowed to board yet?! I think not. I see nothing wrong with getting a bit of an attitude with people who repeatedly refuse to follow the rules and camp out in the boarding area before their zone is called. THEY are in the wrong, YOU are in the right if you are trying to board with your zone. No amount of kindness or politeness is going to make any difference with people who think they don't have to follow the rules. If anything, the people blocking the boarding area are the DYKWIAs, thinking they have the right to be there and clog up the works. And, if they've never flown before, don't you think they'd be listening to the announcements from the GA about keeping the boarding area clear and waiting until their zone is called? Generally if I'm in an unknown situation, I tend to hang back and listen closely to announcements (i.e. "We board by zone number, which can be found on your boarding pass" ... and a lot of GAs even walk through the whole order of pre-board, FC, Sky, etc., too).

In a somewhat related matter, I was flying out of the MSP F gates on Sunday evening, seated alongside the boarding area with my backpack beside me right next to the garbage can. I hear "excuse me" from behind me, and it is one of the flight crew asking to get through between the garbage can and my seat. So of course I move my backpack, thinking it was weird that he was squeezing through there. I look back and see the entire width of the boarding area blocked 2 or 3 people deep with no way for anyone to get through. All I could do was shake my head...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by pntherpaw86
Generally if I'm in an unknown situation, I tend to hang back and listen closely to announcements (i.e. "We board by zone number, which can be found on your boarding pass" ... and a lot of GAs even walk through the whole order of pre-board, FC, Sky, etc., too).
This is exactly the problem why people crowd the gate area. The GA starts a long convoluted speech that mentions everybody's zone at some point. The PA systems are poorly designed and cannot always be heard beyond 20-30 feet from the GA. Add in the continuous "Attention airport security alert" and "Hello I am mayor Greene" airport announcements, plus the extraordinarily loud BEEP BEEP of the electric carts. Oh and maybe 2 other gates in the area also loading pax.

Just look around during the boarding announcement for the the dozen or so pax who obviously travel rarely. Observe their asking each other "what did she say?" and "Who are they boarding now?". OF COURSE they will crowd the GA trying to figure out what they are being asked to do.

Try to have a little empathy...

/RANT
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by gloobnib
This is exactly the problem why people crowd the gate area. The GA starts a long convoluted speech that mentions everybody's zone at some point. The PA systems are poorly designed and cannot always be heard beyond 20-30 feet from the GA. Add in the continuous "Attention airport security alert" and "Hello I am mayor Greene" airport announcements, plus the extraordinarily loud BEEP BEEP of the electric carts. Oh and maybe 2 other gates in the area also loading pax.

Just look around during the boarding announcement for the the dozen or so pax who obviously travel rarely. Observe their asking each other "what did she say?" and "Who are they boarding now?". OF COURSE they will crowd the GA trying to figure out what they are being asked to do.

Try to have a little empathy...

/RANT
^

There is really little call for getting snippy when boarding. Yes, it's annoying to have to get through the crowds, but most people don't care about our silly elite stuff, they just want to get on the plane. A cheery "Excuse me!" usually works just fine, the friendlier the better. The only exception to my placid attitude toward this is when the crowds won't yield to the pre-boarding wheelchairs or other people who are struggling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.