Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I'm not agreeing with the policy. I'm merely stating that when our family of 5 travelled with 1 in a wheelchair we were consistently directed to board together.
Not a problem as there is no need to split the family...hopefully you all don' t have carry ons that takes up extra space !
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
No we didn't. Although the custom wheelchair tray usually went in the closet. That was also before charges for checked bags, decreased seat pitch/ more passengers etc. so space was not at the same premium. Those days are long behind us though.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Just boarded TPA-ATL. SB cleared. Sky called. before those of us towards the back of the line could get to the scanner, Zone 1 was called. Two buffoons vey proudly pushed themselves into the front of the line, cutting off those that were waiting. The female buffoon gets to her seat, 14C, and holds the line up while she argues with the FA about her overhead bag not fitting in the short side overhead. She instructs me to wait until she is done so she can get in her seat. A couple minutes later, she walks back, sits in 14D and starts to spread her stuff out in 14C. I looked at her and said, "Can you please let me get into my seat?" I was assigned 14E. She gathered up her crap and climbed out of the seat, rolling her eyes at me. All I could think was she chose to cut in line in front of me, she demanded I wait for her, so how is it my fault, following her instructions, that she had to get up?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Just boarded TPA-ATL.
TPA too! Although I was on a Silver Airways Saab 340B+ heading back to Fort Lauderdale.

Due to the previous TPA-FLL flight being cancelled, the entire 34 seats of the Saab were taken. I was one of the last to board, walking across the ramp and into the plane, only to find an older-looking woman in my assigned exit row seat of 7A.

I took this picture after deplaning onto the ramp and up into an open-air stairway up into the jetway leading to Concourse C at FLL. My seat is the window with the gray frame just behind the prop blade.

I politely let her know she was in my seat, and she literally said "I fly Silver all the time, seating isn't assigned, dear." Um, "dear", I understand WN flies TPA-FLL but as you said, this is Silver Airways and seating is assigned. She refused to budge, so I said nothing further and the F/A succeeded in making her move to her assigned aisle seat on the 2-seat-side of the airplane, not without a ton of grumbling and muttered insults, however.

But, it doesn't stop there! In 6A there was a teenage girl who appeared to be a bit younger than I am (I'm 19), maybe 17/18...Who was talking at not only earsplitting volumes but at max speed--kind of like those announcers at car auctions or the sped-up terms and conditions at the end of radio advertisements--with one of my biggest pet peeves, which was that every second word she used was "like" peppered with cursing. So imagine this.

"O. M. G. like like amanda she said I said no way like like like @##@$@#$#@$#@$ like like $#@#$@#$ like like like no way she said $%#$# no way like like like like like like @$@#$@#$@#$@#$ like like #$%##%#%#$ like savannah said what &)*()*)(*)(*( oh @#@$@#$@#$ sorry they told me I have to turn my $%$%^%^ like like like phone to @#$#@#$@ airplane mode like bye BFF"

I had read numerous noise complaints on this thread, and never understood until that flight how annoying boisterous chatter in a very small environment is. Meanwhile, in 5D there looked to be another girl nee maybe exactly around my age, reading something on her iPad from pushback to touchdown. Now there's a keeper. I'm a quiet guy as well, so it makes sense. Mrs. 6A could learn a thing or two from the sweetheart in 5D...

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Feb 2, 2015 at 6:27 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by LPDAL
TPA too! Although I was on a Silver Airways Saab 340B+ heading back to Fort Lauderdale.
I'd never seen a Silver aircraft before you pic... a) now I know where all the 340Bs went, and b) why is the nacelle painted pink/fuchsia/whatever that is?

The 7A poacher definitely tried to exploit your youth. Good on you to push the call button.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
I'd never seen a Silver aircraft before you pic... a) now I know where all the 340Bs went, and b) why is the nacelle painted pink/fuchsia/whatever that is?

The 7A poacher definitely tried to exploit your youth. Good on you to push the call button.
Yes, most (all?) of Silver Airway's Saab 340B+ ("+" is the version with improved engines and efficiency stats) are former Delta Connection operated by Mesaba frames.

Silver Airways is a commuter and EAS airline formed out of the PR disaster that was the infamous Gulfstream International Airlines, paying pilots to fly airline training flights in their B1900Ds and ultimately three pilots from their flying school got into three separate fatal crashes as a result of their shoddy training and logbook maintenance procedures.

Victory Park Capital bought out the bankrupt Gulfstream and hired a major PR firm to design a completely new logo and branding to as to completely separate from the then-recently-merged United, becoming their own airline under their own banner. In 2013 they managed to win "Regional Airline of the Year" from the supposedly prestigious Conde Nast magazine.

Their service is wonderful--on this flight we left TPA 15 minutes early, had mini water bottles given to all 34 of us, TWO drink runs in the air, and the remaining case of miniature water bottles handed out as we deplaned. Not to mention we arrived a stunning 30 minutes early! 3M (IATA code for Silver Airways) is fighting hard to grow larger, give them a chance.

As for the logo, it is supposed to look like a head-on spinning propeller. Pink, silver, and black are the airlines' colors.

Thanks for your kind words, trip report coming soon.

-LPDAL
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:07 pm

Meanwhile, in 5D there looked to be another girl nee maybe exactly around my age, reading something on her iPad from pushback to touchdown. Now there's a keeper. I'm a quiet guy as well, so it makes sense. Mrs. 6A could learn a thing or two from the sweetheart in 5A...

-LPDAL
You got 5D's number, right?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Totally agree....... but if he is cute, I may allow it
same
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
OK, so Silver also has DYKWIAs. But doesn't this belong in the Silver Airways Now Codeshare Partner thread over in United?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...periences.html
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by captiveguru
OK, so Silver also has DYKWIAs. But doesn't this belong in the Silver Airways Now Codeshare Partner thread over in United?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...periences.html
There's also a DYKWIA thread in the UA forum @:-)
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by CMK10
Correct. @:-)

DYKWIA on DL some A"Whole" yells at the DL agent checking in a DEN-SLC when Diamonds were called - "my children, and myself WILL BOARD first as there is a toddler involved". Agent says no. It was a family of 8. They were in Y.

I boarded for my F seat and they were behind me.

^^^ to that agent! Stick to the rules!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
But, it doesn't stop there! In 6A there was a teenage girl who appeared to be a bit younger than I am (I'm 19), maybe 17/18...Who was talking at not only earsplitting volumes but at max speed--kind of like those announcers at car auctions or the sped-up terms and conditions at the end of radio advertisements--with one of my biggest pet peeves, which was that every second word she used was "like" peppered with cursing. So imagine this.

"O. M. G. like like amanda she said I said no way like like like @##@$@#$#@$#@$ like like $#@#$@#$ like like like no way she said $%#$# no way like like like like like like @$@#$@#$@#$@#$ like like #$%##%#%#$ like savannah said what &)*()*)(*)(*( oh @#@$@#$@#$ sorry they told me I have to turn my $%$%^%^ like like like phone to @#$#@#$@ airplane mode like bye BFF"
Consider yourself lucky. Usually, getting a girl to swear for you is $3.99/min.

O/H
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by kettle1
Correct. @:-)

DYKWIA on DL some A"Whole" yells at the DL agent checking in a DEN-SLC when Diamonds were called - "my children, and myself WILL BOARD first as there is a toddler involved". Agent says no. It was a family of 8. They were in Y.

I boarded for my F seat and they were behind me.

^^^ to that agent! Stick to the rules!
Make them wait while you get out a JWD certificate to hand the agent.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Sorry for any irrelevancy.

-LPDAL / Colby
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:32 am

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Okay, here's another one involving overhead bin space in F (my favorite topic )

Boarded a CRJ700 from DTW to GRR. I was third or fourth on and took my seat in 2A. I gate checked my rolling bag and put my briefcase under 1A, so I had no skin in this game.

There was another pax in 1A already and 1C boards soon thereafter, followed by 1D. 1D is a woman with a rolling bag and three or four other bags (a briefcase sized bag, what looked like a toiletry bag, and a couple smaller packages). 1C offers to help her put her large bag in the overhead bin. He starts to struggle with it, when 1A gets up and informs 1C that 1C is trying to "smash" 1A's bag with the larger bag. 1C tells him to "move it, then!" to which 1A objects. 1C then takes 1A's bag down and tosses it in 1C's seat, proceeding to put 1D's bag into the bin. 1A makes a big production about retrieving his bag and checking the contents for damage. 1C and 1D share a big laugh about 1A's reaction, which 1A ignores. 1A finally gets back up to put his bag away to discover that there is no overhead bin space. 1C and 1D are laughing again, and 1A rings the FA call button.

The FA responds by offering to put his bag in the closet, and 1A objects, telling the FA what happened. She looks over at 1C, who responds that he was just trying to help a lady. 1D confirms that 1C was just being a gentleman. 1A points out that he paid full price for his ticket and was the first on board, and is now left without overhead bin space. Several other pax start to chime in, telling 1A he is being a DYKWIA, only not in those terms. 1A doesn't back down, and responds that if 1D were a lady, she would not be trying to hide extra bags behind her legs, and if 1C were a gentlemen, he would have taken his own bag down. I laughed at this, as did a couple of other F pax in ear shot.

The FA decided to get the captain involved, and he came back and asked both parties if they could stay calm for the flight. 1C made some comment that I couldn't hear, and 1A just nodded. At this point, several other pax are shouting at 1A to just shut up.

The rest of the flight proceeded smoothly, with 1A's bag and the three additional bags belonging to 1D riding in the closet.

So, I again ask: who was the DYKWIA in this situation. Also, I again ask, why do other pax, especially those in F, not see the overhead bin situation as a real problem? FWIW, I was on 1A's side (no surprise there).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.