Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by injera
(i still admit that I was in the wrong, but again am just adding to the discussion)
You were not 100% wrong. Cut yourself some slack.

Good luck with your new baby. It sounds like you have a great wife! ^ See how fast you can get your new baby 100,000 miles. Maybe by age ten a DM! Your new baby will trump many on FT.

Happy travels and good luck to you and your wife.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This wasn't self advocating. OP wasn't himself pregnant. Ultimately he used his wife's pregnancy as a way to get a FC seat for himself.

Regardless of whether OP or wife sat in FC, regardless of whether the flight time was ten minutes or ten hours, the other guy was understandably upset and right to complain. Maybe his behavior was impolite and even counterproductive, although it did at least cause the OP to re-examine his actions in light of the discussion here.

In fact, I hope the other guy complains to DL and gets the GA in trouble. GAs are not authorized to unilaterally re-order the upgrade list to reflect their own personal priorities, and a pregnant GA is not authorized to give special privileges to pregnant passengers at the expense of other elites who have earned upgrades as a published benefit of DL's FF program.
+1. 150%.

Honestly, maybe this makes me a horrible person or a DYKWIA myself, but I don't really care what the specific issue is. For the record, I'm female. Your pregnant wife trumps me, but does the double amputee veteran trump her? Or the silent person with recent outpatient surgery (say, to remove a mole) and uncomfortable surgical dressing on their side, which is under their clothes, so you can't see it? Or maybe I am 8 weeks pregnant and horribly sick, but not showing so how would you even know? What constitutes deserving?

These are the kinds of reasons why the computer should make the choice, and nothing else.

If you have medical issues, I believe that you are allowed to request bulkhead, but I don't think it should give them the right to give you someone else's upgrade.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
In fact, I hope the other guy complains to DL and gets the GA in trouble. GAs are not authorized to unilaterally re-order the upgrade list to reflect their own personal priorities, and a pregnant GA is not authorized to give special privileges to pregnant passengers at the expense of other elites who have earned upgrades as a published benefit of DL's FF program.
+1 These incidents will only stop when people complain. It's very hard for silvers to get upgrades, and I would have demanded to speak to a redcoat if I was th eone that lost my upgrade before boarding began and if they wouldn't have assisted me, I would have been on the phone with Delta complaining and seneding an email.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by kitkat77
+1. 150%.

Honestly, maybe this makes me a horrible person or a DYKWIA myself, but I don't really care what the specific issue is. For the record, I'm female. Your pregnant wife trumps me, but does the double amputee veteran trump her? Or the silent person with recent outpatient surgery (say, to remove a mole) and uncomfortable surgical dressing on their side, which is under their clothes, so you can't see it? Or maybe I am 8 weeks pregnant and horribly sick, but not showing so how would you even know? What constitutes deserving?

These are the kinds of reasons why the computer should make the choice, and nothing else.

If you have medical issues, I believe that you are allowed to request bulkhead, but I don't think it should give them the right to give you someone else's upgrade.
I completely agree that pregnancy/illness/disability/veteran status/fame/whatever does not entitle a person to an upgrade. WFBF certainly comes into play if you're really going to be that uncomfortable in coach.

I should make it clear though that the GA at RDU had no knowledge of my wife being pregnant (she was in the restroom) until after the UG had cleared and a bp was in my hands.

The GA at LGA def. made the exception for the pregnant woman, but when the plane was going out with empty FC seats on it, i think its a non-issue that she wanted to be nice and give someone a free UG.

Both gate agents however, took my ticket and processed the upgrade, both legs show class flown as RU.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
First of all, props to injera for posting/owning his story and gracefully bearing what I'm sure he knew would be the brunt of the DL forum. ^ All the best with your new kid!

Now back to our regularly scheduled bickering...

Originally Posted by Frogbone
Wow...now THIS sounds like something a real DYKWIA might say.....

On the OP's situation I call it No-DYKWIA ... why? Revisit what DYKWIA stands for and it sure as hell doesn't sound like he was using the DYKWIA line.

He asked for something and he got it (for whatever reason), he didn't DEMAND it by pulling a DYKWIA card.

+1 for the self advocate.

PS: The other guy had a right be upset nonetheless
Bolding mine.

He didn't demand it, but IMO the DYKWIA line starts to be crossed about the time OP starts telling the GA that he is GM and therefore should be placed ahead of all the FOs. Remember that OP is fully aware his ticket should not be upgradeable at all, regardless of what happened at LGA.

+1. I don't like throwing people under the bus or getting folks in trouble, but in this case the GA absolutely circumvented the UG list at the expense of another medallion. This is very different from the first flight where it seemed that the GA allowed the list to run, still had open seats in F, and did OP a favor that made no difference to anyone else.

BUT, I'm half wondering if the GA at LGA somehow re-did OPs ticket to remove the UG inhibitor code, allowing the UG to be processed into RU and then later the RDU GA to add him to the UG list. If so, it may have been that the RDU GA just thought the UG request was missing, in which case RDU GA was just doing his/her job in correctly adding OP to the list...
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
The funny thing is that apparently becoming recognized for being a DYKWIA is now a thing. Sat next to a guy a couple weeks back that had made a huge scene with the GA about an issue. Then, he takes the seat next to me. As we start talking, I made a comment at one point that his behavior to the GA was not cool at all. As he started laughing, he said something to the effect of, "I don't know if you've heard of this site called Flyer Talk but there's this discussion about DYKWIAs and I'm hoping someone writes about me making a scene." Apparently he WANTED to to be acknowledged. I didn't tell him that I was very familiar with FT nor will I give him credit by telling the details of the story but would love to see if he'll acknowledge this comment that he wanted attention for this rude behavior. I feel for DL staff that there are people that seemingly want attention for this!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsmith50
The funny thing is that apparently becoming recognized for being a DYKWIA is now a thing. Sat next to a guy a couple weeks back that had made a huge scene with the GA about an issue. Then, he takes the seat next to me. As we start talking, I made a comment at one point that his behavior to the GA was not cool at all. As he started laughing, he said something to the effect of, "I don't know if you've heard of this site called Flyer Talk but there's this discussion about DYKWIAs and I'm hoping someone writes about me making a scene." Apparently he WANTED to to be acknowledged. I didn't tell him that I was very familiar with FT nor will I give him credit by telling the details of the story but would love to see if he'll acknowledge this comment that he wanted attention for this rude behavior. I feel for DL staff that there are people that seemingly want attention for this!
People makes scenes for all types of reasons usually to bring attention to themselves and the situation to get thier way.... I for one think if people would stop giving in to these people, the behavior would stop....
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by roknroll
I agree. I think the OP on this situation was WRONG to try to get an upgrade when he was not eligible (and take it from someone else). But that doesn't mean he acted in a DYKWIA manner. He politely asked and didn't make a scene. The guy behind him was the one who made a scene.

My conclusion is that the OP is not DYKWIA, but rather just a horrible person (just kidding). No harm in asking for what he got, and it was done quietly and politely. The GA was the one in the wrong here.
+1... a DYKWIA would have insisted on an upgrade and then raged on the GA when the GA didn't process it. Simply asking for an upgrade doesn't make one a DYKWIA.

I was flying with my wife about two years ago, both of us on award tickets. I was on a separate PNR and cleared in advance. The flight was oversold by one in the back, and there was one seat empty in front. At the gate, all upgrades had cleared, and they were selling standby upgrades. I told the GA my upgrade had cleared in advance, and asked if I could buy one for my wife so we could sit together, already knowing the answer was no. I thanked the GA for checking and went back to my seat. Just before boarding, the GA paged me back to the podium and handed me a new BP for my wife. There was literally nobody else on the upgrade list. The GA either had to move up or deny boarding to somebody. I'm sure inquiring about the upgrade is what got it for my wife. Does that make me a DYKWIA too? I don't think so.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Originally Posted by javabytes
Does that make me a DYKWIA too? I don't think so.
Agreed. Bonus points for being smart enough to ask the right question in the right manner.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: DL 2MM, DL PM, Marriott Gold, HIlton Gold
Let's try this. Your wife is pregnant. You thought she would be more comfortable in a FC seat. Buy her a FC seat. You choose and option to save a few bucks hoping to plead out with a favorable GA. It worked, possibly screwing someone else, did not feel bad about your action and then whined when someone commented. When your wife gave up the improperly gained FC seat, you should have given it back.

You are not a DYWKIA but you are manipulative. I hope you feel better now after confessing to the DL Forum.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I'm sure inquiring about the upgrade is what got it for my wife. Does that make me a DYKWIA too? I don't think so.
Originally Posted by jsbh
Agreed. Bonus points for being smart enough to ask the right question in the right manner.
I also agree ^
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
+1... a DYKWIA would have insisted on an upgrade and then raged on the GA when the GA didn't process it. Simply asking for an upgrade doesn't make one a DYKWIA.

I was flying with my wife about two years ago, both of us on award tickets. I was on a separate PNR and cleared in advance. The flight was oversold by one in the back, and there was one seat empty in front. At the gate, all upgrades had cleared, and they were selling standby upgrades. I told the GA my upgrade had cleared in advance, and asked if I could buy one for my wife so we could sit together, already knowing the answer was no. I thanked the GA for checking and went back to my seat. Just before boarding, the GA paged me back to the podium and handed me a new BP for my wife. There was literally nobody else on the upgrade list. The GA either had to move up or deny boarding to somebody. I'm sure inquiring about the upgrade is what got it for my wife. Does that make me a DYKWIA too? I don't think so.
Your story is similar to OP's outbound where the seat would have gone empty. On the return, OP didn't rage on the GA, but he did tell the GA to process the UG for him above the FOs who were legitimately on the list. That's where it crosses the line between asking for a favor and DYKWIA in my book.

I had an interesting experience with someone who was a DYKWIA to me rather than to an employee. I was flying 777 AMS-DTW in coach, and my fiancee and I are seated in 44G and H (exit row). I put my backpack above our heads and we put a shared duffel bag and fiancee's tote bag in the overhead above row 45 since we couldn't have anything at our feet. 13 minutes before scheduled pushback Mr. 45F comes to our row asking if that was our bag above his seat. He wanted us to move it because he didn't have anywhere to put his bag. We politely told him sorry, the bin over us was full and we weren't allowed to have any floor storage. He persisted to argue a bit and then wandered off when we ignored him. As he walked off I was in disbelief when I saw that the bag he wanted to store was actually a backpack that could easily have fit under the seat in front of him. I considered saying something to him when he came back but chose to let it go.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Your story is similar to OP's outbound where the seat would have gone empty. On the return, OP didn't rage on the GA, but he did tell the GA to process the UG for him above the FOs who were legitimately on the list. That's where it crosses the line between asking for a favor and DYKWIA in my book.

I had an interesting experience with someone who was a DYKWIA to me rather than to an employee. I was flying 777 AMS-DTW in coach, and my fiancee and I are seated in 44G and H (exit row). I put my backpack above our heads and we put a shared duffel bag and fiancee's tote bag in the overhead above row 45 since we couldn't have anything at our feet. 13 minutes before scheduled pushback Mr. 45F comes to our row asking if that was our bag above his seat. He wanted us to move it because he didn't have anywhere to put his bag. We politely told him sorry, the bin over us was full and we weren't allowed to have any floor storage. He persisted to argue a bit and then wandered off when we ignored him. As he walked off I was in disbelief when I saw that the bag he wanted to store was actually a backpack that could easily have fit under the seat in front of him. I considered saying something to him when he came back but chose to let it go.
Last night ATL-PHX, a pax who had to put his bag back a few rows from the bulkhead exit confronted another pax about his backpack in the OH. The offending pax refused to put it under his seat and basically gave a F U to everyone else....
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
The offending pax refused to put it under his seat ...
It's been discussed a bunch, but in many people's opinion, it's not an offense to use the overhead bin space the aircraft offers. My foot space is very important to me, and I'll preferentially use the overhead for a single item I bring on board.

You're totally right if the offending passenger has TWO things in the overhead. That's being hoggy.

The bulkhead passenger should not have delayed his boarding if it was under his control. Understand it's not always possible.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
It's been discussed a bunch, but in many people's opinion, it's not an offense to use the overhead bin space the aircraft offers. My foot space is very important to me, and I'll preferentially use the overhead for a single item I bring on board.

You're totally right if the offending passenger has TWO things in the overhead. That's being hoggy.

The bulkhead passenger should not have delayed his boarding if it was under his control. Understand it's not always possible.
I wasn't teally advocating either way... I found the situation timely to the discussion here....

I would be lying to say I have never put both bags in the OH. My footspace is valuable as well. Sadly if I did not do it, some other DYKWIA would

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.