Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I am severely allergic to down feathers and cats. The reactions I have are pretty violent. The only time I've ridden in an ambulance was from a reaction to down. I've been hospitalized an additional four times because of these reactions. The problem happens if the cat hair or down gets in my eyes. My eyes and throat will swell shut. I've got EpiPens stashed everywhere. When i'm in the presence of cats, I make sure not to touch my eyes or nose, trying to keep my hands in pockets or under my legs.

A few years ago, I noticed a woman who couldn't keep her cat in the carrier sitting in the gate area for a CRJ flight. I quietly went up to the gate and asked the agent to be sure that the woman with the cat wasn't seated directly behind me, as I didn't want the cat that close, and to be sure she understood that the cat could not come out of the carrier during the flight. Of course, the woman was seated behind me. At first, they offered to move me, but the only open seat was in the last row. The GA said she wouldn't make a PM sit there (before DM) without my asking. She offered to move the other passenger. The other passenger was upset, but understood after it was explained to her. She also agreed not to let anyone touch the cat during the flight, and that was explained to everyone prior to boarding.
Reasonable request for the cat to be left in the carrier at the gate. If I travel with my cat(s) I always leave them in the carrier at the SC and gate. About the only time the carrier is even open is I am travelling with just the one cat and have the softsided carrier and will unzip it to sneak him a treat ior just pet his head in flight if he is getting restless but he stays in the carrier. A couple times a seat mate will ask to see them and if I have opened the carrier then, but that's the only time.

As far as moving to the last seat of the plane, I would have an issue with that. If I am travelling with my cats I want to be as far up front as possible so I can get off the plane as quick as possible with them. Anyone who has ever travelled with pets probably feels the same way.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by relangford
In the past, what did peanut allergic people do? I asume not die. For the first 50 or so years of my life, I never heard of a peanut allergy; is this a modern disease?
I never heard of a peanut allergy until I was in my 20's and out of college. In colelge Peanut butter was available in the cafeteria as a regular item.

Both my kids have kids in their classes with peanut allergies. It hasn't gotten to this extreme with my kids, but my assistant one year was asked not pack any products containing peanuts in her son's lunch. She wasn't too happy that year since PB&J is one of her sons favorite sandwiches.

I wonder if all the people that complain about peanut allergies on flights avoid the skyclub. I know the skyclub isn't going to pull trail mix for someone with a peanut allergy and even if they did there is still plenty of peanut dust floating around.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, DL DM
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I never heard of a peanut allergy until I was in my 20's and out of college. In colelge Peanut butter was available in the cafeteria as a regular item.

Both my kids have kids in their classes with peanut allergies. It hasn't gotten to this extreme with my kids, but my assistant one year was asked not pack any products containing peanuts in her son's lunch. She wasn't too happy that year since PB&J is one of her sons favorite sandwiches.

I wonder if all the people that complain about peanut allergies on flights avoid the skyclub. I know the skyclub isn't going to pull trail mix for someone with a peanut allergy and even if they did there is still plenty of peanut dust floating around.
Ah, the Peanut allergy... My favorite of the psychogenic illnesses. Honestly, it may be best to allow nature to take its course with these people. I don't recall people having peanut allergies 100 years ago. No, they were dealing with real diseases such as dysentery, measles, polio.

I knew of a parent that swore up and down that their child had a peanut allergy and refused to allow any remnants of a peanut near her child. I'll never know how severe the allergy really was, but, she did have a hyphenated last name and her husband was the biggest dweeb I had ever met. A real, wine cooler type of guy.

Memories...
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AEHawk52
Ah, the Peanut allergy... My favorite of the psychogenic illnesses. Honestly, it may be best to allow nature to take its course with these people. I don't recall people having peanut allergies 100 years ago. No, they were dealing with real diseases such as dysentery, measles, polio.

I knew of a parent that swore up and down that their child had a peanut allergy and refused to allow any remnants of a peanut near her child. I'll never know how severe the allergy really was, but, she did have a hyphenated last name and her husband was the biggest dweeb I had ever met. A real, wine cooler type of guy.

Memories...
It wasn't DL, but I did witness a "peanut meltdown" on AA a few years back. Mother, standing, menacingly at the aisle seat in a front coach row, screaming (almost hysterically) at people as they tried to squeeze past her to board -- 'no one on this flight is allowed to eat anything with peanuts in it' -- flight attendants did not say a word. Unpleasant boarding experience.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

Memories...
Whatever medical school issued your degree needs to take it back.

Call the parents of this deceased college student and explain their child died of a psychogenic illness.

Reach to the parents of this thirteen year old who died in their arms after eating a Rice Krispies treat that unbeknownst to them had peanuts.

I could post many additional links. The problem is people like you who think they know better. You think a peanut allergy isn't real, so, like happened with the college student, you think it's a joke and claim something doesn't have peanuts when, in fact, it does. The result of this ignorance can be death, as it was in the cases above.

Peanut dust can kill people with this allergy. It's a particularly lethal allergy. I know, your having peanuts on a flight is more important. I mean what is the death of a teenager compared to your missing out on a Mr. Peanut fix for an hour? My gosh: the horror of having to get by on pretzels! Explain to the parents of the kids linked above that their suffering is nothing compared to your not having peanuts until the flight lands. I'm sure they would give anything to have been able to stand outside the college dorm and squeeze the hands of the other kids making sure they understood the possible implications of feeding their son peanuts. How dare you begrudge parents of children with this allergy from saving their children's lives. Sorry if that's inconvenient to you.

Hopefully nobody reads your post and takes it seriously. Thinking it's fake is as dangerous as pointing a loaded gun at someone or driving a car directly at somebody.
Cotumely likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 28, 2014 at 9:21 am
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by fastflyer
It wasn't DL, but I did witness a "peanut meltdown" on AA a few years back. Mother, standing, menacingly at the aisle seat in a front coach row, screaming (almost hysterically) at people as they tried to squeeze past her to board -- 'no one on this flight is allowed to eat anything with peanuts in it' -- flight attendants did not say a word. Unpleasant boarding experience.
Wow.

I've seen peanut reactions first hand, they're pretty serious so i can appreciate wanting to minimize or avoid potential exposure to peanuts.

That being said, I do have to wonder (and go off topic) at want point does respect for a peanut allergy vs a persons personal choices/freedoms come into play. Sure, you can avoid eating your sandwich on the plane, but what if its an 8 hour ATL->HNL flight. Is the mom going to buy everyone a snack box so they dont go hungry on the flight? Do we all have to shower before getting on the plane to make sure we dont have any 'peanut dust' on us? Do they sterilize or vacuum the plane prior to boarding to guarantee there isnt a stray peanut on the floor or stuck in a seat?

I'm not saying you shouldnt show some courtesy to those with potentially fatal allergies, i'm just wondering how far an airline or a passenger should/needs to go vs how much the personal responsibility lies with the individual?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by injera
Wow.

I've seen peanut reactions first hand, they're pretty serious so i can appreciate wanting to minimize or avoid potential exposure to peanuts.

That being said, I do have to wonder (and go off topic) at want point does respect for a peanut allergy vs a persons personal choices/freedoms come into play. Sure, you can avoid eating your sandwich on the plane, but what if its an 8 hour ATL->HNL flight. Is the mom going to buy everyone a snack box so they dont go hungry on the flight? Do we all have to shower before getting on the plane to make sure we dont have any 'peanut dust' on us? Do they sterilize or vacuum the plane prior to boarding to guarantee there isnt a stray peanut on the floor or stuck in a seat?

I'm not saying you shouldnt show some courtesy to those with potentially fatal allergies, i'm just wondering how far an airline or a passenger should/needs to go vs how much the personal responsibility lies with the individual?
The personal responsibility is taking the steps you can and making others around you aware. The common civility is not doing something that can lead to the death of another person. Does that even need to be stated?

On an eight hour flight, there will be more than a bag of peanuts to eat. Honestly, given a choice between not eating for eight hours and engaging in activity that can kill someone, can you really not make it eight hours? (Again, not that there is an issue, as an eight hour flight will have other food.)

How would you feel if you had a condition that could kill you which you told others about what they could do to make sure you live but they replied it was your personal responsibility, they didn't have to move a muscle? It's not like you are being asked to do anything that difficult. If you cannot survive without peanuts for eight hours, seek help. (I know, what if you're a diabetic and have to eat every two hours and only brought peanuts onboard? C'mon. That ain't gonna happen.)
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
As far as moving to the last seat of the plane, I would have an issue with that. If I am travelling with my cats I want to be as far up front as possible so I can get off the plane as quick as possible with them. Anyone who has ever travelled with pets probably feels the same way.
+1 I haven't flown with cats in a while, but when I did I would try to get the row behind the bulkhead so I could get off the plane ASAP. Now that the front of the plane is EC not sure who they would ask to move. If it's a non status they paid for EC and if's a person with status with a pet they didn't pay extra for EC, but did pay a pet fee that was higher than the fee for EC.

If I was on a paid first ticket travelling with a cat or cats, I would chose the aisle seat available that was the furtherest back in case someone had a pet allergy. I figured they could try to get the bulkhead in first to be the furthest way from him. I've also had pretty good luck travelling with cats and other passengers. I've had a couple people complain, but that's going to happen. They are burmese cats and due to the pug nose can't fly in cargo safely, and even if they could I will pay the pet fee to keep them in the cabin with me.

I have also had seat mates in first class complain of cat allergies, and when they found out they would be the one to move to coach becuase I was on a paid first ticket or outranked them in status, they were suddenly able to tolerate being near him

My cats stay in the carrier at the skyclub and gate area and in flight. If a kid will ask to see him, I'll sometimes take him out of the carrier but will always ask those around me if it's ok (my cats are burmese which are a real docile breed and love attention so kids love them).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:44 am

The personal responsibility is taking the steps you can and making others around you aware. The common civility is not doing something that can lead to the death of another person. Does that even need to be stated?

On an eight hour flight, there will be more than a bag of peanuts to eat. Honestly, given a choice between not eating for eight hours and engaging in activity that can kill someone, can you really not make it eight hours? (Again, not that there is an issue, as an eight hour flight will have other food.)

How would you feel if you had a condition that could kill you which you told others about what they could do to make sure you live but they replied it was your personal responsibility, they didn't have to move a muscle? It's not like you are being asked to do anything that difficult. If you cannot survive without peanuts for eight hours, seek help. (I know, what if you're a diabetic and have to eat every two hours and only brought peanuts onboard? C'mon. That ain't gonna happen.)
I'm just asking hypothetical questions in the interest of a VERY slow work day.

Yes, I would not eat for 8 hours (or 24 hours, or 48 hours) to have a person not die. I'm sure we all would.

But even then, even if you ask people not to eat peanuts on board, you cant guarantee that
- i dont have peanut residue on my hands from making a sandwich earlier in the day.
- there isnt a peanut wedged into my seat because someone on the flight before dropped one
- a passenger is on the plane eating a snack that he/she didnt know contained peanuts or were made in a facility with peanuts in it
- there isnt a passenger like the earlier poster above who thinks peanut allergies are made up and that nothing bad will happen if i eat peanuts on the plane

A follow up hypothetical question. Suppose we're a family of kettles flying on our annual trip to see Grandma on the other coast. We dont have much disposable income to brought food for the 5 hour flight. My 3 year old loves pb&j so thats what i packed for him. I agree he shouldn't eat his sandwich on board but dont really have the means to spend $10 on a snack box for him (not to mention for the rest of the family). Should the allergic passenger be responsible for buying him a snack for his lunch?

Sorry, its a slow work day. As a father-to-be in May peanut allergies scare the bejeezus out of me and as a former camp counselor to a couple of kids who had these allergies i recognize they're serious and that a lot of precaution has to be taken as a result.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by puddinhead
This behavior seems to be a big issue in the US, and the next generation will be worse. Imagine an aircraft filled with Rachel Canning clones.

The parents are the ones to blame - children aren't born with DYKWIA as part of the DNA - it is a learned behavior.
Exactly
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could you have moved to another seat to eat peanuts? Someone earlier said that peanut allergies just result in DL setting up several rows as a peanut-free zone for the person.
It's going to be a special section right behind EC. Economy Peanut.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by relangford
Recently bought a bag of Milk Chocolate Covered Peanuts to find in bold print: "warning: contains milk ingredients and peanuts". What a surprise!!

In the past, what did peanut allergic people do? I asume not die. For the first 50 or so years of my life, I never heard of a peanut allergy; is this a modern disease?
Allergies, asthma, respiratory disorders and autoimmune disorders of all types are on the rise. Nobody is quite sure why. Given the crazy conversion of what was once food into industrial products laden with unnatural chemicals, genetic modification, contamination with herbicides, pesticides, hormone disruptors, industrial waste and so on (especially in the USA) it should not come as a surprise. There is also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:53 am
Suspended

Whatever medical school issued your degree needs to take it back.

Call the parents of this deceased college student and explain their child died of a psychogenic illness.

Reach to the parents of this thirteen year old who died in their arms after eating a Rice Krispies treat that unbeknownst to them had peanuts.

I could post many additional links. The problem is people like you who think they know better. You think a peanut allergy isn't real, so, like happened with the college student, you think it's a joke and claim something doesn't have peanuts when, in fact, it does. The result of this ignorance can be death, as it was in the cases above.

Peanut dust can kill people with this allergy. It's a particularly lethal allergy. I know, your having peanuts on a flight is more important. I mean what is the death of a teenager compared to your missing out on a Mr. Peanut fix for an hour? My gosh: the horror of having to get by on pretzels! Explain to the parents of the kids linked above that their suffering is nothing compared to your not having peanuts until the flight lands. I'm sure they would give anything to have been able to stand outside the college dorm and squeeze the hands of the other kids making sure they understood the possible implications of feeding their son peanuts. How dare you begrudge parents of children with this allergy from saving their children's lives. Sorry if that's inconvenient to you.

Hopefully nobody reads your post and takes it seriously. Thinking it's fake is as dangerous as pointing a loaded gun at someone or driving a car directly at somebody.
I completely agree with you but suppose I ate some peanut butter M&Ms before a flight, which I sometimes do when connecting in the USA because they're rarely seen in HKG. I might unwittingly bring some peanut material onto the plane and be seated right next to the allergy sufferer. Someone with allergies that severe should have an epi pen on them at all times because you just never know what might happen. And on top of that, people should be understanding and considerate.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Love the Hygiene Hypothesis - we had Journal Club on that topic back in December^

Have also read some interesting research about exposure treatment to increase tolerance....
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:59 am
Suspended

Memories...
Allergies are real and can be fatal. AIDS is very new in the human experience too, would you call it psychogenic?

The only common sensitivity I hear people frequently mention, which has absolutely no scientific backing whatsoever, is MSG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.