Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Location: No longer spreadin' into your seat... down 187 pounds and at goal!
Programs: Delta360; DL Private Jets; Former KFC Golden Bucket
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I didn't turn around to see who made the comment. I felt more dignified just continuing on my way.
That's the best approach. Don't acknowledge and ignite the rednecks.

I hope/think my fiancee, had she been in my place, would have turned up the drawl and given her my favorite Southern woman response of "oh bless your heart."
Is she related to Julia Sugarbaker?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I feel like a posted the story about this somewhere on here a couple years ago. Flying home once in 1D, guy sits down in 1C and proceeds to press me for details about my life and how/why i got in F and what "my parents paid" for my ticket.....Did my best to tune him out through my headphones the entire time.
Had that happen at work about 8-9 months ago right before my wedding when someone asked me where I was going on my honeymoon, and I said Hawaii. They said "Oh that's a long flight out there". I said "Yea, but we'll be in First Class which will be nice". Their response "Oh your parents must be paying for that." NO. I saved my money and actually paid for it, thank you very much.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think this belongs here.

A few minutes ago I got to the gate at the tail end of F boarding. I politely excused my way through the excessive gate lice blocking both boarding lanes. As I walked to the scanner I heard one of the lice say, "I swear to God that kid better not be in First Class." I just kept walking and figured she'd see me enjoying my PDB when she boarded.

FWIW, I'm 26 but probably look slightly younger. I have no idea what status the lowest medallion to clear into F was on this flight, but I took a VDB this morning on the condition of getting confirmed F on both legs (had been upgraded on both my original flights).
Right, unreserved apology in order from me, I re-read your post, I didn't misread it this time, sorry !
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
mattp1987, I know how you and others feel. I'm still in college, just turned 23 a few months ago, and 35-40% of the time I sit in F (actually, if I count G and A fares, it's probably 50 to 60%), and I pay for about 85% of my air travel, which has always been leisure travel. Granted, I've lucked out and the folks I've sat by either haven't been condescending/DYKWIA/nosy, or at least they've kept their silent judgements to themselves. And as grateful I am for not having met these nasty people, when I read these stories, sometimes I wish that I could (and also that I had received FO tags...). I probably would need to catalogue all y'all's witty retorts into a single document on my phone so I could access them in the event of a DYKWIA encounter, because you guys (and girls) have some good ones
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
We old guys owe you some good retort material...

How about...

" I'm glad you are up here with me. I hear it's stressful traveling when you get old."
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I probably would need to catalogue all y'all's witty retorts into a single document on my phone so I could access them in the event of a DYKWIA encounter, because you guys (and girls) have some good ones
It would be with great effect if, when confronted by a dykwia questioning your right to be in F, you pull your phone out and ceremoniously scour over the list for the appropriate response.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:02 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Good general response for idiot questions - I never argue with someone whose opinion I don't respect.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:45 am

How about: I fly F because the software I invented sold for $2.6 billion. You?

Cheers,
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flews
How about: I fly F because the software I invented sold for $2.6 billion. You?

Cheers,
It can't be that outrageous... you wouldn't fly commercial if that were true.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
"I don't normally fly commercial but this was a last minute trip and my [insert preferred model of private jet] is undergoing maintenance"
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
"Didn't I got to medical school with you? Weren't you the one in the jar?"
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
"I don't normally fly commercial but this was a last minute trip and my [insert preferred model of private jet] is undergoing maintenance"
This statement is always laughable too. Anyone worth their salt would just call up NetJets and get a new plane in a couple hours.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:31 am
Suspended

My DYKWIA story:

I was travelling with my family on a DL 757 from SEA-JFK. We were seated at the back of the larger economy cabin. That meant we were in zone 3, so we waited in our seats for Pre board, zone 1 and 2. When they got to zone 3, we got up and were the first up there. Right before I handed over my boarding pass a older lady in a suit cuts in front of me with her boarding pass (Not in the Sky priority lane mind you). The gate agents let her board but are just staring at her with gaping mouths. They apologize to me but I shrugged it off. Anyway as we are boarding I thought she was seated in Economy Comfort/First class or something. Wrong, she was seated a row in front of us. She then proceeded to stand on the seat to get her oversized luggage in the bin. A male FA came over and sternly told her she couldn't stand on the seats. Everyone heard and saw this, so she embarrassingly sat down and kept quiet for the rest of the flight!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by airplanegod
She then proceeded to stand on the seat to get her oversized luggage in the bin. A male FA came over and sternly told her she couldn't stand on the seats. Everyone heard and saw this, so she embarrassingly sat down and kept quiet for the rest of the flight!
Gotta love karma - kudos to the FA ^
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
This morning on DL2190 this couple preempted the gate lice and firmly planted their boots in the SkyPriority lane before pre-boarding... I was wondering why there were already so many people in the SP lane when I got there... they called "First Class boarding only," and lo and behold, said couple tries to board with F and I hear the GA saying to them, "no, we are currently boarding First Class only, you can't board yet." Kudos to the GA for actually caring and turning them away... I don't even get what the big deal is about boarding early if you're sitting in Y... why not enjoy some legroom in the terminal a little longer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.