Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by puddinhead
This behavior seems to be a big issue in the US, and the next generation will be worse. Imagine an aircraft filled with Rachel Canning clones.

The parents are the ones to blame - children aren't born with DYKWIA as part of the DNA - it is a learned behavior.
I don't think my generation ought to be defined by Canning. I like to think that my generation (Millennials) are more forward thinking and charitable on the whole, than those previous. Some people have a strong sense of entitlement, but that's hardly generational IMO. Spend one day at William & Mary with me and you'll see that Millennials have a lot more to offer the world than a sense of entitlement. Additionally, I think an undue sense of entitlement has a lot less to do with nationality and a lot more to do with ones family and close community.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like all these generational knocks I've seen being leveled a lot here on FT.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by Bicostal
So why is it that Delta bans peanuts on some flights but not cats?
Originally Posted by javabytes
Didn't think they do... don't they just create a buffer zone of a few rows? And that's a bit different anyway, it's not really a ban, they just don't serve peanuts (though one would have to be quite a DYKWIA to eat their own peanuts they brought on board anyway). It's not like DL supplies in flight cats.
I'm sitting on DL1923 right now... FA offered me cookies or pretzels... when I asked for peanuts he said not on this flight bc there is a peanut allergy on the fight, so I was like DYKWIA? I'm a GM and I demand peanuts! jk... I just took pretzels... but I guess they do stop serving nuts when someone has an allergy
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could you have moved to another seat to eat peanuts? Someone earlier said that peanut allergies just result in DL setting up several rows as a peanut-free zone for the person.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could you have moved to another seat to eat peanuts? Someone earlier said that peanut allergies just result in DL setting up several rows as a peanut-free zone for the person.
When I flew LAS/DTW they made an announcement that there was someone with a severe peanut allergy on board and they wouldn't be serving any peanuts on the flight and asked that people not open any items they brought with them that contained peanuts.

If someone can't be around any peanut dust on an airplane then I wonder how they manage to go to any restaurant or any type of event since there will be peanuts in the venue. I also heard a similar announcement a long time ago on a southwest flight.

Wasn't a big deal for me since I got upgraded but not sure what someone would have done in coach if they brought a peanut butter sandwich for their kids for lunch and sometimes when I am on a long flight I don't think I will get upgraded on, I will bring a couple packs of cheese crackers with peanut butter in them to eat
Cotumely likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did the GA announce before and during boarding that it would be a peanut-free flight?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:39 pm

The peanut allergy policy: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...gy-policy.html
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:50 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sky303
I don't think my generation ought to be defined by Canning. I like to think that my generation (Millennials) are more forward thinking and charitable on the whole, than those previous. Some people have a strong sense of entitlement, but that's hardly generational IMO. Spend one day at William & Mary with me and you'll see that Millennials have a lot more to offer the world than a sense of entitlement. Additionally, I think an undue sense of entitlement has a lot less to do with nationality and a lot more to do with ones family and close community.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like all these generational knocks I've seen being leveled a lot here on FT.
I don't blame the Millennials, I blame their parents. Mostly my generation.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Did the GA announce before and during boarding that it would be a peanut-free flight?
No. The announcement was made by the flight attendant and in the case of the Delta flight was made after the door was closed and either was right before or right after the safety video. Not sure how helpful it would have been for the GA to have done it anyway for people with peanut products to get other food (and honestly I would have been mad if I had to pay airport store prices for another snack/sandwich). If the announcement was made early people that don't get to the gate until right before boarding would have missed it and if it was made right before boarding there might not be enough time to grab something else in the airport.

On the southwest flight a long time ago, the announcement was also made onboard by the FA
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
The pretzels are made in a factory that handles/packages peanuts...

At least that was the case a couple years ago when I last heard the peanut allergy announcement. Peanuts were only restricted from a certain number of rows.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Recently bought a bag of Milk Chocolate Covered Peanuts to find in bold print: "warning: contains milk ingredients and peanuts". What a surprise!!

In the past, what did peanut allergic people do? I asume not die. For the first 50 or so years of my life, I never heard of a peanut allergy; is this a modern disease?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
I do not know if I could have moved to a different row to eat them, but the impression I got was that they were not serving them on the flight Also, I don't remember any announcement that it was going to be a peanut free flight... but then again it's gotten to the point where I tune the announcements out
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by javabytes
It's not like DL supplies in flight cats.
Maybe they should!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by relangford
In the past, what did peanut allergic people do? I asume not die. For the first 50 or so years of my life, I never heard of a peanut allergy; is this a modern disease?
For the most part yes.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
No. The announcement was made by the flight attendant and in the case of the Delta flight was made after the door was closed and either was right before or right after the safety video. Not sure how helpful it would have been for the GA to have done it anyway for people with peanut products to get other food (and honestly I would have been mad if I had to pay airport store prices for another snack/sandwich). If the announcement was made early people that don't get to the gate until right before boarding would have missed it and if it was made right before boarding there might not be enough time to grab something else in the airport.

On the southwest flight a long time ago, the announcement was also made onboard by the FA
In January my ATL-HNL flight an annoucement was made shortly before the first service started that there were to be no peanuts offered on the plane. However, due to the long flight and the fact that DL doesn't feed people on this flight, quite a number of people had bags of /nuts/peanuts and trail mix that definitely included peanuts. They were not confiscated, and the FAs didn't tell anyone to put them away.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I am severely allergic to down feathers and cats. The reactions I have are pretty violent. The only time I've ridden in an ambulance was from a reaction to down. I've been hospitalized an additional four times because of these reactions. The problem happens if the cat hair or down gets in my eyes. My eyes and throat will swell shut. I've got EpiPens stashed everywhere. When i'm in the presence of cats, I make sure not to touch my eyes or nose, trying to keep my hands in pockets or under my legs.

A few years ago, I noticed a woman who couldn't keep her cat in the carrier sitting in the gate area for a CRJ flight. I quietly went up to the gate and asked the agent to be sure that the woman with the cat wasn't seated directly behind me, as I didn't want the cat that close, and to be sure she understood that the cat could not come out of the carrier during the flight. Of course, the woman was seated behind me. At first, they offered to move me, but the only open seat was in the last row. The GA said she wouldn't make a PM sit there (before DM) without my asking. She offered to move the other passenger. The other passenger was upset, but understood after it was explained to her. She also agreed not to let anyone touch the cat during the flight, and that was explained to everyone prior to boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.