Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
+1 and is there a term for those hogs who put their bag in row 10 then go to their seat in row 30? If not, we should invent one...
My impression though is that if a fair amount of people in the middle do this, it would help deplane faster. People can flow forward and take out their bag while others behind them can move up.

On a related note, was on LGA-ATL this morning and saw a blowup between a hot head passenger and a non rev FA on the small item issue. The passenger asked in the vicinity who's (small) bag was in the overhead bin. When he didn't get a response, he put the bag on the floor, inserted his own roller board, and then squeezed the small bag in an opposite bin.

The non rev yelled at him about taking someone else's bag out. Pitiful petty argument ensued. From an etiquette perspective, should the passenger have done that?

Note:
    Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
    Anyone who asks for an op-up for any reason is a DYKWIA.
    I think there's a fine line here between curious and DYKWIA. Asking to get the OpUp might make you a DYKWIA, but asking what the chances are for an OpUp doesn't. Not even close. Simply how it's worded can make a big difference in attitude.

I think it's fair game to ask if there is a chance for the OpUp. If they say no, you might want to go get that SlopBurger before boarding the 10hr flight to Sao Paolo so you don't play Russian Roulette with the meals in coach.
    Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by citationneeded
    From an etiquette perspective, should the passenger have done that?

Note:
      I think, regardless of where it is on the aircraft, no passenger has any business taking out another passenger's bag, if not to get to their own behind it, assist that other passenger, etc. People may be greedy, but no one has the right to screw around like that with other persons' belongings IMHO.
      Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:35 pm
      In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
      Originally Posted by DeltaWings
      This is what I hope to do. I'll inquire about the possibility and if the answer is no, I'll say thank you, then head back to the SC for another drink.

Based on some of the comments above, it seems worse for a person with some form of disability to ask about an op-up, but fine for one who is completely healthy, because the disability might sway the GA. But what about a healthy, charming person, or a flirty, pretty gal who asks a male GA?

I feel like what we wear, the diction we employ, our attitudes, everything about us comes into play anytime we're dealing with front line staff anywhere -- even the drive thru.
      I believe I said asking about an op-up for any reason made someone a DYKWIA. So from me at least you should not have gotten that impression.
      Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
      feel like what we wear, the diction we employ, our attitudes, everything about us comes into play anytime we're dealing with front line staff anywhere -- even the drive thru.
      I read somewhere that, for every inch over 6 feet tall, annual salaries go up several thousand dollars.
      Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
      Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
      +1 and is there a term for those hogs who put their bag in row 10 then go to their seat in row 30? If not, we should invent one...
      Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
      Stash 'n dash?
      Originally Posted by AtlanticBeach
      Dislocated luggage?

Premature bag stowage?
      Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
      Binhos ?
      Originally Posted by stencil
      Boarder Hoarder?
      Overhead Crasher?
      Originally Posted by relangford
      For the overhead hog: luggage lout?
      Originally Posted by sky303
      Bin Lice?
      1st Place: Binhos
      2nd Place: Bin Lice
      3rd Place: Boarder Hoarder

lol to all of them!
      Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta, United
      I think, regardless of where it is on the aircraft, no passenger has any business taking out another passenger's bag, if not to get to their own behind it, assist that other passenger, etc. People may be greedy, but no one has the right to screw around like that with other persons' belongings IMHO.
      While I have never done it I have been temped an depending on the circumstances it would not bother me a bit. However when it did happen once, I left a note for the luggage louse that dumped their bag in the last place in EC and went to the back of the plane. Fortunately, other more considerate PAX whom I thanked made some some room after I asked the FA who refused to relocate the offending luggage.

That said on my last flight I did slide luggage down in the bin after turning a PAX's baggage to be wheels first while placing on end another bag so to fit another bag in (namely mine). It did not bother me in the least as I was in a bulkhead and figured that when de-planning it would avoid me swimming upstream even if for only a couple of rows. The other PAX were not impacted.
      Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
      I pronounce myself to hereby have that right... after all - DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM????
      Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:17 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

On a flight just this week, a guy boarded late on my flight. When he reached his row, he immediately grabbed a rollaboard out of the bin, held it in the air, and demanded "whose is this?" When the pax one row back said it was his, Bin Badger set it on the ground and said "find somewhere else for it."

He then immediately grabbed a backpack and again demanded someone identify it as theirs. Lady across did and he shoved it at her and told her to put it under her seat. As she was mentioning that it was her main bag and she had her purse under her seat already, the Bin Badger slid a second full size rollaboard into its place. He immediately move on to removing a THIRD bag from the bin to repeat the cycle.

At this point the FA had arrived and several pax in the area were starting to give each other "..." looks. To her credit, FA immediately recognized that this jerk was going to be a problem and focused instead on making sure he wasn't being too rough with the other bags, trying to get them near their owners (all within 2-3 rows anyway) and generally keeping a bad situation from getting worse.

The whole scene was unreal. Felt particularly bad when backpack lady asked him to be careful with her bag as he was forcefully shoving it upside down into the edge of a bin he had just filled with his third suitcase. Apparently she had some fragile items in the top of her bag that he had just crushed.

Ignoring the the rollaboards, this guy was in EC bulkhead and I know I've been n situations where I had to ask those around me if they wouldn't mind making room for my briefcase, but I always thought the correct way to handle this was to ask, then ask again if I could touch/move their bag, then to treat others' belongings as if it were my mother-in-law's heirloom crystal.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people think that they are somehow more important than anyone else around them. I don't even demand respect, just a little basic consideration and common courtesy...
      Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:29 pm
      Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
      I remember for years the rows on the MD-88 were not aligned with one another and frequently passengers would look for the first row number that matched their seat assignment. Many times passengers ended up in the wrong seat but I'll admit it was a very easy mistake to make. Sometimes I would find someone in my seat and we'd have a quick laugh when they realized the goofy row numbers and they would either move or I would just take their seat. A couple of times though I ran into a DYKWIA who demanded they were in the correct seat and I didn't know what I was talking about.
      Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:53 am
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
      My impression though is that if a fair amount of people in the middle do this, it would help deplane faster. People can flow forward and take out their bag while others behind them can move up.

On a related note, was on LGA-ATL this morning and saw a blowup between a hot head passenger and a non rev FA on the small item issue. The passenger asked in the vicinity who's (small) bag was in the overhead bin. When he didn't get a response, he put the bag on the floor, inserted his own roller board, and then squeezed the small bag in an opposite bin.

The non rev yelled at him about taking someone else's bag out. Pitiful petty argument ensued. From an etiquette perspective, should the passenger have done that?

Note:
        The problem with this is that when people around row 10 can't find bin space near their seat, they are forced to place their belongings far back. Thus they must swim upstream upon arrival to retrieve their bags before deplaning. It's not just a matter of whether the guy assigned to row 30 can himself get on and off the aircraft faster or not.
        Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: Delta PM; Marriott Gold; Hertz 5-Star Gold; National Executive; US Air Peon; Hilton Scrub
        Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
        Correct. If, when everyone has boarded, there is still room in the bins, by all means put your stuff up there, but not til then. I feel quite bad for people who bring one small carry-on on-board and then have to put it under their seat because people who boarded earlier hogged the bins. I'm not in that position, never checking luggage. I put up my rollaboard and then put my large purse (with laptop in it) under the seat, always. If I had checked my rollaboard I would put the purse in the bin. It's only fair.
        What if you're at the bulkhead? is it acceptable then?
        Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
        Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
        The problem with this is that when people around row 10 can't find bin space near their seat, they are forced to place their belongings far back. Thus they must swim upstream upon arrival to retrieve their bags before deplaning. It's not just a matter of whether the guy assigned to row 30 can himself get on and off the aircraft faster or not.
        No, no, no, no...

Nobody is forced to swim upstream or downstream. When this happens, which it does, on occasion, to each of us, we should act politely, patiently and as mature adults waiting until others have deplaned and there is a clear path to the bags. It is ridiculous to watch grown, impatient adults worm their way back because they do not have the patience to wait a few extra seconds. I don't want you rubbing against me just because you cannot wait for your bag. It is unnecessary. It is rude.

Often, fellow passengers, who saw you having to stow your bag a few rows back, will offer to pass your bag forward. If not, just wait patiently until there is no need to be selfish.

I have seen hearts and kidneys being delivered for transplant. These are packed in coolers. The bags I see people retrieving when they have to rub against me because they think they are entitled are not coolers. Obviously, these people are retrieving organs for transplants, with dying patients waiting on the operating table, so what could possibly be in there that is so important that the DYKWIA owners cannot wait a few seconds?
        Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:16 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
        And that's fine. But all do respect to your current situation and please don't take this personally, but I think anytime someone says "I have x and therefore I want y without paying for it" in a travel context, it makes you a DYKWIA.
        I disagree. If you demand something you're not entitled to, you're a DYKWIA. Merely asking politely is generally acceptable.

No one is entitled to a free upgrade on an international leg, especially if the argument is "the seat would otherwise go empty".
        Demanding it is DYKWIA behavior.

Acting entitled is likely demanding.

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
        +1 here too. Please dont get me wrong, im sympathetic to your condition, but asking for something your not entitled to in any way, is basically the definition of a DYKWIA.
        No, demanding it is.

No, it slows things down a lot. People walk forward, then stop and slowly take their bags down while blocking everybody behind them from moving.

Look at it from the viewpoint of the doorway. Gaps are bad. Someone stopping creates a gap.

I disagree. Simple example: someone seated in Y putting a bag overhead in F, not leaving room for an F pax's bag.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
        While I have never done it I have been temped an depending on the circumstances it would not bother me a bit. However when it did happen once, I left a note for the luggage louse that dumped their bag in the last place in EC and went to the back of the plane. Fortunately, other more considerate PAX whom I thanked made some some room after I asked the FA who refused to relocate the offending luggage.
        I might choose to take the bag down and ask the FA to check it.

Originally Posted by gooselee
        On a flight just this week, a guy boarded late on my flight. When he reached his row, he immediately grabbed a rollaboard out of the bin, held it in the air, and demanded "whose is this?" When the pax one row back said it was his, Bin Badger set it on the ground and said "find somewhere else for it."
        He's lucky he didn't pull that crap with me. I wouldn't put up with it; if necessary, I'd wait until he sat down then remove his bag and put mine back, then ask the FA to check his.

Originally Posted by gooselee
        Ignoring the the rollaboards, this guy was in EC bulkhead and I know I've been n situations where I had to ask those around me if they wouldn't mind making room for my briefcase, but I always thought the correct way to handle this was to ask, then ask again if I could touch/move their bag, then to treat others' belongings as if it were my mother-in-law's heirloom crystal.
        When I'm in EC bulkhead, the FA has always been willing to put my bag overhead in F/J if necessary. But I ask politely if there's space for it.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
        No, no, no, no...

Nobody is forced to swim upstream or downstream. When this happens, which it does, on occasion, to each of us, we should act politely, patiently and as mature adults waiting until others have deplaned and there is a clear path to the bags. It is ridiculous to
        . . .
        so what could possibly be in there that is so important that the DYKWIA owners cannot wait a few seconds?
        It is ridiculous to miss my connection because you want me to wait because some luggage louse wanted his bag way in front of him.

And those "few seconds" are more like 5-10 minutes.
        Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM PM
        Originally Posted by mwjr
        What if you're at the bulkhead? is it acceptable then?
        Of course, those are the rules for bulkhead seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.