Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
At the risk of appearing insensitive to DeltaWings' situation, I agree with CMK10. Op-Ups are given when DL needs to give them i.e., when Y is oversold and there is room in BE. The order in which they are given is defined by DL policy, according to status and fare within status. Asking the GA for an Op-Up is playing on their heartstrings to ask for something out of turn. If you're entitled to an Op-Up, you'll get an Op-Up. What you are asking is to get an Op-Up and have someone who would otherwise get an Op-Up not get an Op-Up. In other words, you are being a DYKWIA where the "WIA" in this case is a person with a medical condition asking to go ahead of somebody who either doesn't have a "competing" medical condition or who hasn't asked for the favor.

+1 here too. Please dont get me wrong, im sympathetic to your condition, but asking for something your not entitled to in any way, is basically the definition of a DYKWIA. I understand the need to make last min adjustments for customers who have medical conditions that prevent them from safely using their booked seats (IE a customer with large medical devices they have to be with taking up too much space or something). But in this case when its stated that you would be fine flying in coach, asking for an upgrade (and lets face it, using your disability to try to play on sympathy of the GA) really isnt right.

Per the comparison to Hilton and asking for better rooms. Thats something you are entitled to, as a frequent guest upgrades are a part of the program. If they didnt upgrade you at all, asking is well within your rights. If they only upgraded you a little, asking about higher is a gray zone, but as an upgrade is supposedly due id let it slide. For a flight asking about an op up when FO/GM/PM/DM is in no way entitled to intl upgrades....thats not ok. If it were....i do have rather severe back problems and sitting in coach for 6+ hours does mess up my back rather bad, but ive never asked for anything about it.....

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
What I hate most is pity. That's why I am incredibly happy with DL for not treating me as though I am an invalid. Beyond the need for an occasional door to be held, I'm independent and like it that way. The wheelchair and missing legs is a temporary setback.

When I ask about the possibility of an op-up I will not be throwing a pity party. If the GA is inclined to give me one, I will be most appreciative, but will otherwise be happy with the service I paid for.
You dont want pity, you hate pity, and your happy DL wont treat you as an invalid, but your hoping to induce pity from a GA to treat you as an invalid and give you a pity upgrade....

Last edited by xolinlevh; Mar 24, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
What I hate most is pity. That's why I am incredibly happy with DL for not treating me as though I am an invalid. Beyond the need for an occasional door to be held, I'm independent and like it that way. The wheelchair and missing legs is a temporary setback.

When I ask about the possibility of an op-up I will not be throwing a pity party. If the GA is inclined to give me one, I will be most appreciative, but will otherwise be happy with the service I paid for.
Sorry, I think this is an incredibly self serving post. If you are happy with the "service [you] paid for", why ask for service you "didn't pay for"?

Your justification appears to be that "other people do it too", but I fail to see why DYKWIA behavior from others entitles you to the same bad behavior.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I can live with what I paid for. I'd be happier with a better seat. If I politely, cheerfully ask if something better is available, I don't see a problem. If I act like I'm entitled to something I'm not, and throw a fit when I don't get it, that's DYKWIA.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Marriott Gold; Hertz 5-Star Gold; National Executive; US Air Peon; Hilton Scrub
Originally Posted by injera
Then finally, while I understand the other guy being upset, even for the hour flight; once i'm met with anger and hostility by a person, my interest in 'doing right by them' is minimized.
Yeah, I'm exactly the same way. I'm not clear on the whole who gets priority on the UG list process, but right or wrong, don't be a #%@ to me and I can work with you.

Still not sure that you're in the wrong, though. You asked for something, and you got it. Not sure whose fault that is.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Marriott Gold; Hertz 5-Star Gold; National Executive; US Air Peon; Hilton Scrub
Man, I'm learning a lot from this thread.

So even though I'm allowed to bring 2 personal items on board, putting both items in the overhead bins is frowned upon?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by mwjr
Man, I'm learning a lot from this thread.

So even though I'm allowed to bring 2 personal items on board, putting both items in the overhead bins is frowned upon?
Correct. If, when everyone has boarded, there is still room in the bins, by all means put your stuff up there, but not til then. I feel quite bad for people who bring one small carry-on on-board and then have to put it under their seat because people who boarded earlier hogged the bins. I'm not in that position, never checking luggage. I put up my rollaboard and then put my large purse (with laptop in it) under the seat, always. If I had checked my rollaboard I would put the purse in the bin. It's only fair.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Howste
I can live with what I paid for. I'd be happier with a better seat. If I politely, cheerfully ask if something better is available, I don't see a problem. If I act like I'm entitled to something I'm not, and throw a fit when I don't get it, that's DYKWIA.
This is what I hope to do. I'll inquire about the possibility and if the answer is no, I'll say thank you, then head back to the SC for another drink.

Based on some of the comments above, it seems worse for a person with some form of disability to ask about an op-up, but fine for one who is completely healthy, because the disability might sway the GA. But what about a healthy, charming person, or a flirty, pretty gal who asks a male GA?

I feel like what we wear, the diction we employ, our attitudes, everything about us comes into play anytime we're dealing with front line staff anywhere -- even the drive thru.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Correct. If, when everyone has boarded, there is still room in the bins, by all means put your stuff up there, but not til then. I feel quite bad for people who bring one small carry-on on-board and then have to put it under their seat because people who boarded earlier hogged the bins. I'm not in that position, never checking luggage. I put up my rollaboard and then put my large purse (with laptop in it) under the seat, always. If I had checked my rollaboard I would put the purse in the bin. It's only fair.
+1 and is there a term for those hogs who put their bag in row 10 then go to their seat in row 30? If not, we should invent one...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
+1 and is there a term for those hogs who put their bag in row 10 then go to their seat in row 30? If not, we should invent one...
Stash 'n dash?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:30 pm

Dislocated luggage?

Premature bag stowage?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Binhos ?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Boarder Hoarder?
Overhead Crasher?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I use a cane. Usually, it's a problem since I cannot get exit row seats. When asked by GAs if I need to board early, I always say "No" since I can get to my seat, stow my handcarry and cane, and sit down in the same time it takes others (sometimes even faster ).

For the overhead hog: luggage lout?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Binhos ?
This one

Anymore, I just plan to stash my backpack under the seat. I usually have to check equipment anyway, so I check my luggage as well. Now that I no longer try to put my backpack in the overhead, I hold off on boarding to be one of the last onboard. The stress level plummets.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Bin Lice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.