Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:54 am

This cannot be a true story - no one is that much of an a$$..

Originally Posted by gooselee
On a flight just this week, a guy boarded late on my flight. When he reached his row, he immediately grabbed a rollaboard out of the bin, held it in the air, and demanded "whose is this?" When the pax one row back said it was his, Bin Badger set it on the ground and said "find somewhere else for it."

He then immediately grabbed a backpack and again demanded someone identify it as theirs. Lady across did and he shoved it at her and told her to put it under her seat. As she was mentioning that it was her main bag and she had her purse under her seat already, the Bin Badger slid a second full size rollaboard into its place. He immediately move on to removing a THIRD bag from the bin to repeat the cycle.

At this point the FA had arrived and several pax in the area were starting to give each other "..." looks. To her credit, FA immediately recognized that this jerk was going to be a problem and focused instead on making sure he wasn't being too rough with the other bags, trying to get them near their owners (all within 2-3 rows anyway) and generally keeping a bad situation from getting worse.

The whole scene was unreal. Felt particularly bad when backpack lady asked him to be careful with her bag as he was forcefully shoving it upside down into the edge of a bin he had just filled with his third suitcase. Apparently she had some fragile items in the top of her bag that he had just crushed.

Ignoring the the rollaboards, this guy was in EC bulkhead and I know I've been n situations where I had to ask those around me if they wouldn't mind making room for my briefcase, but I always thought the correct way to handle this was to ask, then ask again if I could touch/move their bag, then to treat others' belongings as if it were my mother-in-law's heirloom crystal.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people think that they are somehow more important than anyone else around them. I don't even demand respect, just a little basic consideration and common courtesy...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by CMK10
You had me until that second paragraph. Anyone who asks for an op-up for any reason is a DYKWIA.
I don't think asking makes someone a DYKWIA in this instance. If they insist on the upgreade, I agree, but no harming in asking.

I checked in at the Parlmer House Hilton Chicago last night and heard a gold ask if they would upgrade to him to a suite or give him lounge access. Suite upgrades are only for diamonds, not a gold benefit, but I didn't think it made him a DYKWIA for asking for something that isn't a benefit. Now if he would have made an issue out of it when the front desk declined him, I would say that is DYKWIA behavior.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
+1 and is there a term for those hogs who put their bag in row 10 then go to their seat in row 30? If not, we should invent one...
I have terms for this, but not one is family friendly enough for this forum.

I personally think all bulkhead seats should be allowed to board with Premium, or at the very least Sky.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I personally think all bulkhead seats should be allowed to board with Premium, or at the very least Sky.
I'm sure some will say it's "DYKWIA", and if this is the most DYKWIA move I make, then I guess I'm not too bad, but I've found if you go walk up as First Class is finishing boarding and just say "I have the bulkhead. May I board to ensure I get my carry-ons in the overhead bin?", the GA's will give you the okay to go ahead and board then.

I remember back before Zone boarding, when boarding was done just by rows from the back working forward, it was common to hear "Now boarding rows 30 through 40 and Row 10" (or whatever the bulkhead row was) so that the bulkhead passengers would be assured bin space.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

US Airways gives people in bulkheads Zone 1 Boarding for that very reason
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CMK10
US Airways gives people in bulkheads Zone 1 Boarding for that very reason
Most of the flights I take, Delta's Zone 1 boarding wouldn't help for this, as they are usually at the point of checking roller boards before Zone 2 starts. Actually Sky wouldn't really either.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I thought all bulkheads were premium seats on Delta. Wouldn't they automatically be in the SKy Zone if they got the seat due to status or if they paid for it an EC seat, I thought they received priority boarding.

I thought the last time I had a bulkhead it had PREM on it when I flew LAS/DTW. I agree though people in bulkheads should be allowed to board with SKY if they are non-status since nothing can go in the seat in front of them.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I don't think asking makes someone a DYKWIA in this instance. If they insist on the upgreade, I agree, but no harming in asking.

I checked in at the Parlmer House Hilton Chicago last night and heard a gold ask if they would upgrade to him to a suite or give him lounge access. Suite upgrades are only for diamonds, not a gold benefit, but I didn't think it made him a DYKWIA for asking for something that isn't a benefit. Now if he would have made an issue out of it when the front desk declined him, I would say that is DYKWIA behavior.
I don't think that a Delta diamond asking for an opup is any different than a Hilton gold asking for a suite upgrade, both are benefits neither is to receive. But I also don't see any harmin asking.

I'm not suppose to get suite upgrades or lounge access at SPG's with the Delta crossover benefit, buth ave read where others have had success in asking. I do get lucky at times, as do others in my office, but none of us makes a big deal if that doesnt happen, just like I would hope a Hilton Gold wouldn't get upset if they are told they can't have a suite upgrade even if there are suites available or a Delta diamond wouldn't be upset if they get stuck sitting in the back if there are empty seats in J.

Glad to hear the Palmer House isn't giving out lounge access anymore. Hopefully it is more peaceful now
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sethb
It is ridiculous to miss my connection because you want me to wait because some luggage louse wanted his bag way in front of him.

And those "few seconds" are more like 5-10 minutes.
Yes, because you're the only one on the plane with a connection...

It's not 5-10 minutes. It's at most a minute, while F clears. Someone farther back is going to have to pull down a suitcase, giving you the opportunity to move back and get yours. I do this all the time, and it sounds like you have just assumed, so trust me on this.

If everyone did this, the plane would empty much faster. It's people who try to do something different than everyone else, and different than what's expected that slow the process down for everyone, including themselves. Your swimming backwards slows you and everyone else down.

If you are really in a rush, ask people to send your bag forward, saying please, but don't think because you want and you think you are entitled that you can rub yourself all over everyone to get your bag. It won't be me, though, as I stay seated to avoid those who think they are entitled to swim backwards. Hmm, and I've never missed a tight connection because of this. How could that be?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yes, because you're the only one on the plane with a connection...

It's not 5-10 minutes. It's at most a minute, while F clears. Someone farther back is going to have to pull down a suitcase, giving you the opportunity to move back and get yours. I do this all the time, and it sounds like you have just assumed, so trust me on this.

If everyone did this, the plane would empty much faster. It's people who try to do something different than everyone else, and different than what's expected that slow the process down for everyone, including themselves. Your swimming backwards slows you and everyone else down.

If you are really in a rush, ask people to send your bag forward, saying please, but don't think because you want and you think you are entitled that you can rub yourself all over everyone to get your bag. It won't be me, though, as I stay seated to avoid those who think they are entitled to swim backwards. Hmm, and I've never missed a tight connection because of this. How could that be?
+1 to all of this.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
I remember back before Zone boarding, when boarding was done just by rows from the back working forward, it was common to hear "Now boarding rows 30 through 40 and Row 10" (or whatever the bulkhead row was) so that the bulkhead passengers would be assured bin space.
I don't get PREM when I'm at the bulkhead. I do remember Exit Rows getting boarding priority.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CJKatl

F clears, Y starts moving; but if my bag is 10 rows back because some over-entitled arse put his bag 20 rows forward of his seat, I can't get it. The aisle is full. Almost everybody in the aisle has gotten their bags down. Y starts moving; somebody 2 rows behind me gets into the aisle and slowly takes down his bag from over his head. That doesn't help me, because my bag is behind him. He finishes, the line slowly moves; but the person at the front stops so someone 3 rows back can get into the aisle. That person slowly gets down a bag, which still doesn't help me.

It really does take 5-10 minutes before there's a long enough gap (in both time and space) for me to head back and get my bag.

If the airline wanted the plane to empty much faster, it could easily arrange that (e.g. tell people that those in the aisle have priority, don't stop to let others in ahead of you). It doesn't.

Me swimming backwards doesn't slow me down. At worst, I break even (when the gap you claim appears in one minute). All the (few) times it has happened, I get my bag before such a gap appears.

I don't know why you never miss a tight connection. Maybe you don't have many. I know that I've caught them by seconds after running across an airport (once, 60+ gates at DTW, getting there just in time to have the GA who was already on the phone say "put his bags back, he made it").
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by sethb
He's lucky he didn't pull that crap with me. I wouldn't put up with it; if necessary, I'd wait until he sat down then remove his bag and put mine back, then ask the FA to check his.

When I'm in EC bulkhead, the FA has always been willing to put my bag overhead in F/J if necessary. But I ask politely if there's space for it.
Agree that the FAs are always accommodating when I'm in EC bulkhead, and will find space for my bag either in F/J or a nearby closet somewhere. Then again, I always have at most a lightly packed 20" rollaboard and standard laptop backpack (and often only the latter).

I personally don't move other people's bags unless it's just nudging it a couple inches to side to side, but I wouldn't have hesitated to ring the FA button to have him/her address the situation.

Originally Posted by knoa_knows
This cannot be a true story - no one is that much of an a$$..
I would love it if I had not actually observed this.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought all bulkheads were premium seats on Delta. Wouldn't they automatically be in the SKy Zone if they got the seat due to status or if they paid for it an EC seat, I thought they received priority boarding.

I thought the last time I had a bulkhead it had PREM on it when I flew LAS/DTW. I agree though people in bulkheads should be allowed to board with SKY if they are non-status since nothing can go in the seat in front of them.
Bulkheads, EC, and exit rows all get Zone 1 boarding if you are not already in Zone 1 or SKY due to status, Amex, purchasing priority boarding, being named Richard, etc.

Unfortunately when it comes to OH bin space on DL, Zone 1 boarding is pretty useless.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would love it if I had not actually observed this.
I wonder what the effect would have been of taking out your phone and video recording it.

Unfortunately when it comes to OH bin space on DL, Zone 1 boarding is pretty useless.
For the back bulkhead (e.g. row 36 on a TATL 757-200) it's not too bad. There's a lot of legroom there, too.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
On a flight just this week, a guy boarded late on my flight. When he reached his row, he immediately grabbed a rollaboard out of the bin, held it in the air, and demanded "whose is this?" When the pax one row back said it was his, Bin Badger set it on the ground and said "find somewhere else for it."

He then immediately grabbed a backpack and again demanded someone identify it as theirs. Lady across did and he shoved it at her and told her to put it under her seat. As she was mentioning that it was her main bag and she had her purse under her seat already, the Bin Badger slid a second full size rollaboard into its place. He immediately move on to removing a THIRD bag from the bin to repeat the cycle.

At this point the FA had arrived and several pax in the area were starting to give each other "..." looks. To her credit, FA immediately recognized that this jerk was going to be a problem and focused instead on making sure he wasn't being too rough with the other bags, trying to get them near their owners (all within 2-3 rows anyway) and generally keeping a bad situation from getting worse.

The whole scene was unreal. Felt particularly bad when backpack lady asked him to be careful with her bag as he was forcefully shoving it upside down into the edge of a bin he had just filled with his third suitcase. Apparently she had some fragile items in the top of her bag that he had just crushed.

Ignoring the the rollaboards, this guy was in EC bulkhead and I know I've been n situations where I had to ask those around me if they wouldn't mind making room for my briefcase, but I always thought the correct way to handle this was to ask, then ask again if I could touch/move their bag, then to treat others' belongings as if it were my mother-in-law's heirloom crystal.

Never ceases to amaze me how some people think that they are somehow more important than anyone else around them. I don't even demand respect, just a little basic consideration and common courtesy...
This is not DYKWIA behavior this is totaljerk behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.