Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by injera
Fair, but she was in the restroom at the time and her words to me upon giving her the FC ticket were "dude, its fine, i'm just going to sleep, go enjoy a bloody mary." Guess I could have given the seat 'back' though by that time the boarding process was underway.
Did you discuss the idea of trying to get her a FC seat before approaching the GA? If she indicated she would like to sit in F you did the right thing (even if it was not exactly according to DL rules/policy). I realize no one wants to argue with a pregnant women, but at this point you should have told her she needs to sit in F. If she "changed her mind," as is a women's perogatory (pregnant or otherwise), you needed to go back to the GA and switch back to coach.

Now, if this was your idea and she did not know about it until you told her of your success, well then I vote for DYKWIA.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kitkat77
+1. 150%.

Honestly, maybe this makes me a horrible person or a DYKWIA myself, but I don't really care what the specific issue is. For the record, I'm female. Your pregnant wife trumps me, but does the double amputee veteran trump her? Or the silent person with recent outpatient surgery (say, to remove a mole) and uncomfortable surgical dressing on their side, which is under their clothes, so you can't see it? Or maybe I am 8 weeks pregnant and horribly sick, but not showing so how would you even know? What constitutes deserving?

These are the kinds of reasons why the computer should make the choice, and nothing else.

If you have medical issues, I believe that you are allowed to request bulkhead, but I don't think it should give them the right to give you someone else's upgrade.
Another female who agrees with your thoughts 100%.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by kitkat77
+1. 150%.

Honestly, maybe this makes me a horrible person or a DYKWIA myself, but I don't really care what the specific issue is. For the record, I'm female. Your pregnant wife trumps me, but does the double amputee veteran trump her? Or the silent person with recent outpatient surgery (say, to remove a mole) and uncomfortable surgical dressing on their side, which is under their clothes, so you can't see it? Or maybe I am 8 weeks pregnant and horribly sick, but not showing so how would you even know? What constitutes deserving?

These are the kinds of reasons why the computer should make the choice, and nothing else.

If you have medical issues, I believe that you are allowed to request bulkhead, but I don't think it should give them the right to give you someone else's upgrade.
I agree completely. I recently had a car accident, lost my legs and am waiting to get prosthetics. I have never used my current situation to weasel an UG out from under another Medallion. As a GM, I'm batting about 70%, but use miles on flights where I expect limited or no success. SEA-ATL on a 76W and JFK-SEA, for instance.

I am making my first TPAC since the accident next month and will ask about an op-up to a BE seat that would otherwise fly empty. I won't feel bad about this, because every Medallion tries to weasel into one of those seats.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
I agree completely. I recently had a car accident, lost my legs and am waiting to get prosthetics. I have never used my current situation to weasel an UG out from under another Medallion. As a GM, I'm batting about 70%, but use miles on flights where I expect limited or no success. SEA-ATL on a 76W and JFK-SEA, for instance.

I am making my first TPAC since the accident next month and will ask about an op-up to a BE seat that would otherwise fly empty. I won't feel bad about this, because every Medallion tries to weasel into one of those seats.
You had me until that second paragraph. Anyone who asks for an op-up for any reason is a DYKWIA.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

Wow. My sympathies.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
A good opportunity to try a class from the Playbook, 'The Speech'.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AADULtArer

Im sorry for your loss, and wish you luck moving forward with the new challenges this presents.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:23 pm

I'm gonna chime back in because it's been a month since i posted and i'm intrigued that this convo is taking place.

1 - At no point did I ask the GA to "help my pregnant wife with an upgrade." That point was only originally made to the other pax.
2 - At no point did I demand that I get an upgrade because I'm a GM.
3 - While I was under the impression that my ticket was ineligible for upgrades, the GA was able to upgrade me on both legs so does some of the blame lie with Delta's inconsistency? Both legs were flown as RU.

While i'll admit to being a little 'weasly' in my actions (and I guess I somehow did find a valid loophole??) at no point did I demand an upgrade, threaten to 'never fly Delta again' or yell at the GA. A response of "no i'm sorry sir" or "yes we can upgrade you for $200" would have been met with a polite response and a seat in coach.

I'll own up to being shady, weasely, a jerkface, whatever.....but I think the "demand" or "expectation" has to be there in order to be the DYKWIA.

Last edited by injera; Mar 24, 2014 at 12:25 pm Reason: ...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Thank you all for your sympathies.

I certainly wish it hadn't happened, but I'm back to work, back up in the skies and enjoying life. Also thankful DL stows my power wheelchair and treats me no differently than before.

I'll kindly ask the GA if an op-up would be possible, but if not, I'll be roughing it in economy. Thankfully I don't have to go halfway around the world - just a 12-hour jaunt to PEK.

I would disagree with CMK10 that requesting an op-up makes one a DYKWIA.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I would disagree with CMK10 that requesting an op-up makes one a DYKWIA.
And that's fine. But all do respect to your current situation and please don't take this personally, but I think anytime someone says "I have x and therefore I want y without paying for it" in a travel context, it makes you a DYKWIA.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
And that's fine. But all do respect to your current situation and please don't take this personally, but I think anytime someone says "I have x and therefore I want y without paying for it" in a travel context, it makes you a DYKWIA.
I disagree.

I am old enough so that I could get pre-boarding any time that I want it but the only time I have asked for it was when I was traveling during the holiday season and had boxes of chocolates for the crew.

As this meant giving them to the purser to distribute before people started crowding in (and leaving the purser free to do his/her job), I felt that I should board early and did. I don't feel this made me a DYKWIA.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:08 pm

Is that only for upgrades? If I check a bag and they forget to put a yellow priority tag on my bag and i remind them to do so, am i a dykwia? If I have to change flights last minute and ask to be put in an EC seat as a GM am I a DYKWIA? If I'm a Hilton Diamond member and I ask about a room upgrade without being proactively offered one am I a DYKWIA?

Asking for a benefit that is part of a program you participate in does not make someone a DYKWIA. Demanding special favors, loudly bragging about whatever it is that makes you special or yelling at those who wont give in to you makes you a DYKWIA. It also makes you an a------.

Last edited by injera; Mar 24, 2014 at 2:11 pm Reason: ...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:31 pm

What I hate most is pity. That's why I am incredibly happy with DL for not treating me as though I am an invalid. Beyond the need for an occasional door to be held, I'm independent and like it that way. The wheelchair and missing legs is a temporary setback.

When I ask about the possibility of an op-up I will not be throwing a pity party. If the GA is inclined to give me one, I will be most appreciative, but will otherwise be happy with the service I paid for.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by injera
Is that only for upgrades? If I check a bag and they forget to put a yellow priority tag on my bag and i remind them to do so, am i a dykwia? If I have to change flights last minute and ask to be put in an EC seat as a GM am I a DYKWIA? If I'm a Hilton Diamond member and I ask about a room upgrade without being proactively offered one am I a DYKWIA?
No, because I'd argue those are services you are entitled to, especially the first two. You have paid for those through loyalty. The last one is the iffiest one and I certainly am guilty of it too, and if someone called me a DYKWIA for that I wouldn't argue with them.

No one is entitled to a free upgrade on an international leg, especially if the argument is "the seat would otherwise go empty". I'm Amtrak Select Plus (equivalent to mid-tier airline status) and I wouldn't argue that for a sleeper.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
At the risk of appearing insensitive to DeltaWings' situation, I agree with CMK10. Op-Ups are given when DL needs to give them i.e., when Y is oversold and there is room in BE. The order in which they are given is defined by DL policy, according to status and fare within status. Asking the GA for an Op-Up is playing on their heartstrings to ask for something out of turn. If you're entitled to an Op-Up, you'll get an Op-Up. What you are asking is to get an Op-Up and have someone who would otherwise get an Op-Up not get an Op-Up. In other words, you are being a DYKWIA where the "WIA" in this case is a person with a medical condition asking to go ahead of somebody who either doesn't have a "competing" medical condition or who hasn't asked for the favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.