Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
If Delta starts offering upgrades for $100 on T fares on long hauls at check in, why even bother with status?
Funny, I've noticed that lots of people over at the United forum say exactly the same thing about their airline
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
The vocal pet-in-cabin opponents always come across to me as people who don't realize they are still on a form of public transportation where other people have concerns/preferences/needs as well.

My story - I'm allergic to cats, but just to the point of where my eyes get itchy and I start sneezing a lot. For a flight of 2 hours or less, I just deal with it. Maybe I'll mention it to the owner and IME they are always polite enough to keep the cat tucked away or whatever for the short flight.

The only time I asked to move, I was in paid F on a longer flight (ATL-LAS). After the cat boarded, I just told the FA I was allergic and asked what my options were. She was great in asking others if they'd be willing to switch, and the owner was very understanding. She ended up moving the cat up to row 2 and putting me in bulkhead EC where I unexpectedly still got a meal and drinks from F (and the guy from EC got a seat/drinks in F). In all, I feel like me, EC guy, and cat/owner all had a pleasant/better flight than otherwise - it really just takes a bit of flexibility and understanding. I knew I was inconveniencing others, but I also knew I didn't want to be miserable for 3/4 of that flight and would have taken a seat in the way back if I had to.

i think the way you approached the cat issue was well done and clearly within your rights. the way my DYKWIA approached it (even if allergic- which he did not claim) was a typical DYKWIA
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Would it not be a better policy for all animals to fly underneath? I'm allergic to cats and if I saw one brought onto the plane I would not throw a fit but I would ask DL to put me on the next available flight in my class of service.

I think Delta is being a hypocrite with the pet situation. Delta caters to people with nut allergies and requests that people do not bring nuts onboard. Maybe if I paid Delta a fee for bringing a big bag of peanuts onboard then it would be ok? That is essentially the answer DL is giving to those who are allergic to cats... "They paid us to bring the animal onboard so you'll just have to deal with it". And like I said, I would not pull a DYKWIA but request to be put on the next flight. I think that's reasonable.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
The vocal pet-in-cabin opponents always come across to me as people who don't realize they are still on a form of public transportation where other people have concerns/preferences/needs as well..
I'm surprised no one yet has said Delta allows pets and if they don't like the policy fly private That seems to be a popular response whenever anyone complains about loud kids in first class.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Would it not be a better policy for all animals to fly underneath? I'm allergic to cats and if I saw one brought onto the plane I would not throw a fit but I would ask DL to put me on the next available flight in my class of service.

I think Delta is being a hypocrite with the pet situation. Delta caters to people with nut allergies and requests that people do not bring nuts onboard. Maybe if I paid Delta a fee for bringing a big bag of peanuts onboard then it would be ok? That is essentially the answer DL is giving to those who are allergic to cats... "They paid us to bring the animal onboard so you'll just have to deal with it". And like I said, I would not pull a DYKWIA but request to be put on the next flight. I think that's reasonable.
I don't want to get into the pets in cabin vs. hold debate, but I will say that your request to be put on the next flight is perfectly reasonable and I'd hope that any airline would make that happen. However, I'm curious as to what you'd do if you don't have the travel flexibility to take the next flight, which might even be the next day?

The point I go back to is that this is a shared transportation vehicle. Perhaps I don't have my dog with me, but my jacket might be covered in her fur. Perhaps I don't have a bag of peanuts, but I just came from a baseball game and have peanut dust on me. Should I be prevented from boarding?

I'm not saying this is an excuse for people to be jerks to others, but if you know you're allergic to something, it's on you to be prepared to adjust or make do in a shared space with others.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by tampa2euro
Oh yea, especially since each of us checked 3 bags each and the other guys were about to pay for economy comfort, I think it came out to be about the same amount as the F upgrade which allowed all of us 3 bags each for free and not to mention free booze.
Checking 3 bags costs a lot more than $100.

So selling upgrades out from under medallion members costs Delta money. Just what I'd expect from the airline that invented FCAM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by sethb
Checking 3 bags costs a lot more than $100.

So selling upgrades out from under medallion members costs Delta money. Just what I'd expect from the airline that invented FCAM.
+1 Someone in another thread suggested that delta shouldn't give free bags, SP, etc to people who use FCM and buy an A or P fare. I think it makes sense in this case also. Delta clearly loses money in the case of giving 3 checked bags to a non-status on a $100 upgrade or even one bag on a $20 FCM. And not to mention if it ticks off an elite enough they just shopping for the cheapest airline instead of remaining loyal to Delta, that alone is going to cost Delta a lot more than the $100 they made off the once a year flyer who buys a T fare

And Delta holds back elite upgrades until the gate to try to sell them. If they are trying to sell them up to flight time why are they giving them away for $100 at t-24.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:45 pm

I don't want to get into the pets in cabin vs. hold debate, but I will say that your request to be put on the next flight is perfectly reasonable and I'd hope that any airline would make that happen. However, I'm curious as to what you'd do if you don't have the travel flexibility to take the next flight, which might even be the next day?

The point I go back to is that this is a shared transportation vehicle. Perhaps I don't have my dog with me, but my jacket might be covered in her fur. Perhaps I don't have a bag of peanuts, but I just came from a baseball game and have peanut dust on me. Should I be prevented from boarding?

I'm not saying this is an excuse for people to be jerks to others, but if you know you're allergic to something, it's on you to be prepared to adjust or make do in a shared space with others.
+1
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:49 pm

But then where do you draw the line re: pets? How about a service animal? Will you deny boarding to the flier with seizures, blind or the triple amp with severe ptsd? Its much easier to regulate peanuts with less of a public relation disaster. Peanut allergies can also be quite severe- e.g. death.

Either way, I'd like to focus on more of the DYKWIA behavior I saw- complaint to FA including the "do you know how much I fly etc" followed by giving of miles. Thats why I posted the story.

Last edited by met19; Mar 27, 2014 at 4:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by met19
But then where do you draw the line re: pets? How about a service animal? Will you deny boarding to the flier with seizures, blind or the triple amp with severe ptsd? Its much easier to regulate peanuts with less of a public relation disaster. Peanut allergies can also be quite severe- e.g. death.

Either way, I'd like to focus on more of the DYKWIA behavior I saw- complaint to FA including the "do you know how much I fly etc" followed by giving of miles. Thats why I posted the story.
Fine, but what do have against my reasonable request to be put on another flight? I have no problems with dogs but there are plenty of us who are allergic to cats and I have yet to see a cat as a service animal.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:00 pm

Fine, but what do have against my reasonable request to be put on another flight? I have no problems with dogs but there are plenty of us who are allergic to cats and I have yet to see a cat as a service animal.
nothing against your request for another flight. my bad if my reply seemed like it did.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by met19

And in my case, Delta won't allow that breed to be go in cargo hold, even if I would want them to, due to their pug noses. There is a list of breeds of cats and dogs that can only fly in the cabin. And seeing that a couple animals have died in the cargo hold, I'm not going to risk it.

Getting back on topic, I don't understand why people act like DYKWIA's because they don't like the rules and the FA shouldn't have given him miles in that case. I know a lot of people that feel children shouldn't be allowed in first class, but they don't go yelling at the FA and demanding miles if there is a child in first class on one of their flights.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:48 pm
Suspended

As long as the kid behaves I don't have a problem with them in the premium cabin. I remember a flight from MEM-ATL that was pure hell because these two parents allowed their kids to scream (they were not infants so don't even give the ear excuse) and climb between the seats. I don't think these parents were used to having heir kids around them. I guess they didn't want to bring the governess along for the trip. Complaining to the flight attendant about this kind of behavior is not a DYKWIA move. And I wouldn't want to put up with that kind of behavior in the main cabin either. If you haven't trained your kids to behave in public then it's probably best to keep them at home. If I had acted like that as a kid I know it would have been the last time I would have been taken on vacation with my parents.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
We're excited to announce our new Feline Elite* product. Purchase with your Delta American Express to get double miles and a 20% discount.

*Actually just Whiskas slopped onto a cold woodgrain tray.
I flew a fair amount with the late great Five cat under the seat in front of me, and for what NWA & Delta charged in pet fees, I always used to feel like he should have gotten FF miles on his own account.

Gotta say that people were generally pretty chill about him- only one allergy complaint, and she and I managed to end up in opposite sides of the cattle cabin. Biggest problem actually came from people who wanted to see him when he was not big on being bothered by strangers- once he was through security, he was always quickly back in the carrier and with my coat over it on three sides because it seemed least stressful for him.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:19 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
This behavior seems to be a big issue in the US, and the next generation will be worse. Imagine an aircraft filled with Rachel Canning clones.

The parents are the ones to blame - children aren't born with DYKWIA as part of the DNA - it is a learned behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.