Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Walking to baggage claim at MSY last night. Two British chaps are walking a little behind me, talking LOUDLY and peppering their speech with a lot of profanity. Talking about how they flew Delta over the pond and connected in ATL to come to MSY, blah blah blah. Their conversation basically entailed such things as "Business class wasn't all that great" and "You call that first class? That wasn't ****** first class, they had us crammed in there so tight." But then the DYKWIA attitude kicked in: "Yeah, and to think we spent twelve thousand on it (not sure if dollars our pounds); this was the cheap one, the other route was fifteen thousand" followed by "Right, next time, fly premiere on Air France. It's only twenty thousand, and much better."
Is it possible to spend $12K from the UK to the USA even in BE?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Is it possible to spend $12K from the UK to the USA even in BE?
Walking to baggage claim at MSY last night. Two British chaps are walking a little behind me, talking LOUDLY and peppering their speech with a lot of profanity. Talking about how they flew Delta over the pond and connected in ATL to come to MSY, blah blah blah. Their conversation basically entailed such things as "Business class wasn't all that great" and "You call that first class? That wasn't ****** first class, they had us crammed in there so tight." But then the DYKWIA attitude kicked in: "Yeah, and to think we spent twelve thousand on it (not sure if dollars our pounds); this was the cheap one, the other route was fifteen thousand" followed by "Right, next time, fly premiere on Air France. It's only twenty thousand, and much better."
enough said
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Go near them and pull out a phone, pretend to call someone, and then say "Yea, I just landed... No I'm at the commercial terminal.... Yea, I had to fly commercial this time. The private jet was down for mechanical reasons and we couldn't find a spare. I was so mad.... No it wasn't that great. Business Elite just doesn't compare to amenities of the Gulfstream."
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Go near them and pull out a phone, pretend to call someone, and then say "Yea, I just landed... No I'm at the commercial terminal.... Yea, I had to fly commercial this time. The private jet was down for mechanical reasons and we couldn't find a spare. I was so mad.... No it wasn't that great. Business Elite just doesn't compare to amenities of the Gulfstream."
Scary, you and I think very much alike. I cannot lie....I have used the same basic setup many times.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Doing this would allow them to blend in perfectly with the DYKWIAs (who become gate lice after metamorphisis) that I encounter (and for some of them, I wonder if there isn't someone else on the other end of the phone either) .
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I have no idea if you can actually spend that much. Maybe if you bought a full-fare J ticket? I know Z fares (well, at least for the TATL portion; P for domestic) SLC-JFK-ACC usually run in the $5500 to $6000 (and $10,000 for a fully refundable ticket). So I guess anything is possible.

Hahaha, you guys are hilarious. Wish you could travel with me, I never think to say those things off the top of my head.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
My suspicion (if there is actually any fact behind with these jackasses were saying), is that they could have spent $12,000 total ($6,000 per person). Even that is high but it is much more believable.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Perhaps not a true DYKWIA- but... travelling last night ATL-MCI, (just got in from a TATL and was dressed for travel and not for business)and I see from the monitor I have got the UG. So I get in the line when FC is called and a guy behind me asks: "Please can I see your Boarding pass?".

Now I am not a confrontational type and I was tired after the TATL and body clock on GMT/Universal time, so I said sure and showed him my BP which shows seat 12E. He said " That says Sky - not first". I replied "I know but the GIDS monitor shows I have been upgraded so I know I am in First" - Oh, and he muttered all the way down the jet bridge and then sat behind me in 2B. He must have taken a full minute to ram his large carry on in the overhead bin.

He did not have the right to see my boarding pass but I was not in a mood for confrontation.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
He did not have the right to see my boarding pass but I was not in a mood for confrontation.
A long trip like that would have set me in the perfect mood to be confrontational. A simple No was all that guy would have gotten from me.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by irishPirate
A long trip like that would have set me in the perfect mood to be confrontational. A simple No was all that guy would have gotten from me.
I'd have said "Sure, for $100."
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I'd have said "Sure, for $100."
I would/will not be quite so nice ! They had better hope the plane is big enough to be using a 2L loading door.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
See that's when you say "oh sure" and dip your hand into your pocket and withdraw it with the middle finger out.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
A line I've actually used: "oh, please go ahead. I fly F all the time, and it's obviously very special for you."
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Perhaps not a true DYKWIA- but... travelling last night ATL-MCI, (just got in from a TATL and was dressed for travel and not for business)and I see from the monitor I have got the UG. So I get in the line when FC is called and a guy behind me asks: "Please can I see your Boarding pass?".
"Don't you already know what they look like?"
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
A line I've actually used: "oh, please go ahead. I fly F all the time, and it's obviously very special for you."
Funny (like the above idea) is better than confrontational.

Otherwise, "A soft answer avoids wrath". (And fistfights in the boarding line.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.