Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hhonors DM, SPG Plat, National EE
So I searched through all the threads and have been trying to figure this out as well. I got a DUI fifteen years ago which evidently automatically disqualifies me from obtaining Global Entry.

However, I do have in my secure flyer data at delta.com. I have been Diamond Medallion since it started and platinum before then. I don't remember specifically getting an email asking me if I wanted to opt in, I would assume that if I did, I would have signed up.

Once about 3 months ago in LA, I scanned my boarding pass and they told me I was TSA precheck and sent me to the pre line, which was awesome.

Should I just go the precheck line when at the airport flying domestic? Is there any way that I can know that I signed up?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aslanlab
So I searched through all the threads and have been trying to figure this out as well. I got a DUI fifteen years ago which evidently automatically disqualifies me from obtaining Global Entry.

However, I do have in my secure flyer data at delta.com. I have been Diamond Medallion since it started and platinum before then. I don't remember specifically getting an email asking me if I wanted to opt in, I would assume that if I did, I would have signed up.

Once about 3 months ago in LA, I scanned my boarding pass and they told me I was TSA precheck and sent me to the pre line, which was awesome.

Should I just go the precheck line when at the airport flying domestic? Is there any way that I can know that I signed up?
Yes, just go to the precheck lane. There is no formal invitation sent out or sign-up mechanism. Filling out your Secure Flight Passenger Data profile and clicking the check-box to consent to DL saving it and sharing it with the TSA is all there is to it. Since you've already gotten it before, DL has clearly opted you in already.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Yes, just go to the precheck lane. There is no formal invitation sent out or sign-up mechanism. Filling out your Secure Flight Passenger Data profile and clicking the check-box to consent to DL saving it and sharing it with the TSA is all there is to it. Since you've already gotten it before, DL has clearly opted you in already.
Tonight at LGA got my precheck. In the line was A Dad who got precheck and was told to take kids with him but mom could not. End result was a clogged precheck as dad and kids did the usual undressing and liquids and electronics removal. If you get the three beeps you should at least understand the process. Otherwise go through normal screening. Ughhhhh.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Mods, can we merge please?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Tonight at LGA got my precheck. In the line was A Dad who got precheck and was told to take kids with him but mom could not. End result was a clogged precheck as dad and kids did the usual undressing and liquids and electronics removal. If you get the three beeps you should at least understand the process. Otherwise go through normal screening. Ughhhhh.
Sadly, there will be MUCH more of this as TSA opens up PreCheck to more pax, including families. They estimate that 'eventually' (whenever that is) 70% will be able to use PreCheck. Oh that cluster will be fun....
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Well I had an interesting glitch last week in SAN. Using my barcode scanner, I was showing a colleague how to see if he was cleared for Pre. His boarding pass displayed properly with the line beginning with "29". When I scanned mine, the line beginning with "29" was totally missing!

Thinking it was a misprint from the hotel printer, I had my pass reprinted at the DL counter at SAN. Safely ensconced in the Sky Club, I checked my code on the new BP and lo and behold..no line beginning with "29". Now, on my outbound BP, the line printed just fine and I had no trouble with Pre. No changes were made to the itinerary after the first flight. So, any ideas why?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
My boarding passes pre-2013 all used to read as FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME LASTNAME. Something went screwy it seems with the My Profile names on Delta.com, both for the regular Name and the Secured Passenger section. I checked on here a few weeks ago and saw some similar stories. I did call Delta and they fixed my profiles to read correctly - but now my boarding passes say FIRSTNAME MIDDLENAME LASTNAME.

Was batting literally around .900 on Pre-Check last year and have yet to hear the three beeps this year after 10 flights. Hmmm...looks like others are having the same issue...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Yep. You need to call and demand they match your name properly. Don't take no for an answer.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
BOS TSA Pre Check today

Seems that boarding passes printed by the TA has defective bar codes and won't scan. If you print using the kiosk, works fine. Not sure if this effects other printers. Got my three blinks with a reprinted kiosk bp.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Pre-Check scanners can also read mobile BP's. Actually, the scanners seem to be the same as the scanners they use for mobile BP's in the non Pre-Check lanes. Discovered this in MCO where I got the triple beep in a non Pre-Check lane. They re-directed me over to the actual Pre-Check lane (I didn't realize MCO had one at the time).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:46 am

Delta Pre Check in FLL

Wow, where to start.

First, the TSA in FLL are in my opinion some of the most undertrained and inept agents I encounter.

Today, the lines in FLL were very long, but I went around to the pre check line, which was short. They did not scan my ticket, so I moved on thru. I did notice, they were not scanning anyone's tickets and anyone could go thru.
I went thru the scanner with shoes and belt, etc..as usual for pre check. Then they said I had to remove my laptop from my brief case. I told them I never do that in pre check...at this point they tell me that pre check is not being enforced today because of large volume...so, seemed kind of odd too me!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like they had shut down PreCheck so they could use the belt/metal detector capacity for the large crowds.

I went through on Saturday mid-day, and while the terminal in general was a sea of humanity, the security lines were not long at all. Pre-check was even shorter, so I went through twice. (Exited airside looking for somewhere else to eat because Miami Subs had 50+ people in a nonmoving line -- MAN does that terminal STINK!)

Neither time did I have to take my laptop out, but for some reason on the second time through the agents saw something in my roll-a-board that they didn't like and they had to open and search my bag.

While I certainly appreciated the PreCheck, it seems odd that they offer it at FLL, which usually has a very low percentage of elites (lots of Kettles visiting Grandma or going on a cruise).
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
While I certainly appreciated the PreCheck, it seems odd that they offer it at FLL, which usually has a very low percentage of elites (lots of Kettles visiting Grandma or going on a cruise).
Heh, adding the PreCheck lane there is the reason I broke down and got Nexus. I always seem stuck in a long line for security there.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I am a 3x per month FLL traveler and welcomed the Pre Check! One time for a 5:45 AM flight I got there and PC was not yet opened. Aside from that it has been a breeze. I think it would surprise you how many elites go through - with so many daily flights to ATL alone, it packs more elites than you'd expect. Back when I was gold, a 757 upgrade was impossible.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I went through the FLL precheck yesterday (2/25) at about 8:30AM.
Left my laptop in bag, didn;t remove shoes or belt.
There were short lines at general TSA, and no line at all for TSA pre-check, which was operating as expected at 8:30AM. Maybe it just wasn;t working earlier in the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.