Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question Hyphenated Middle Names?

I have a hyphenated middle name, and when I try to change it on my profile, it says "Please enter a valid middle name." I, then, went to my upcoming itinerary and tried changing my secure info there, and it converted my middle name ("John-Doe") to "Johndoe". In the past, I haven't included my middle name, and I've been cleared for pre-check even though my middle name appears on my driver's license. So, I don't know what to do. Thoughts?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I have a hyphenated middle name, and when I try to change it on my profile, it says "Please enter a valid middle name." I, then, went to my upcoming itinerary and tried changing my secure info there, and it converted my middle name ("John-Doe") to "Johndoe". In the past, I haven't included my middle name, and I've been cleared for pre-check even though my middle name appears on my driver's license. So, I don't know what to do. Thoughts?
If PreCheck is working, don't change anything.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by pharmalady
Spent the holidays with some relatives on the East Coast this past week. Took flight out this morning back home. Regular and priority security lanes were a complete mess at the airport due to weather cancellations and delays. Kept getting the growl 'n scowl as DH and I made our way to the TSA Precheck lane which only had the two of us. Had scanned our boarding passes and both of us had the magic "3's". Heard a lot of disgruntled comments coming from the other security lanes, but hey we paid for it and the system worked as designed.
No doubt the answer to my questions are somewhere in the previous 70 pages of posts. Hoping someone might be able to provide link to answer or provide a quick reply.

I have an Android phone and have looked at a couple of barcode scanning apps, but none seems to work reliably. Suggestions?

Also, I am newly minted 1K on UA and recently finally enjoyed my first PreCheck experience at LGA. Also newly minted Platinum on DL, tried to use the PreCheck line at MCO on DL ticket but told I wasn't certified (yes, I have done the opt-in on the old and new dl.com).

I know I have to opt-in to each airline's program, so then I gather TSA certification is repeated for each airline? Guess I thought maybe being certified on one airline would at least expedite certification on another?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:07 am

I was finally able to use PreCheck at FLL early this morning in the DL terminal. Less than 60 seconds.

Thank goodness: FLL was an utter mess at 5:45 this morning.

One interesting thing to note was the fact that the TSA document checker was ensuring the BP had SkyPriority on it before permitting entry into the PreCheck lane.

It is possible to be PreCheck eligible and to not be SkyPriority. I'm wondering what will happen to non-SkyPriority, PreCheck eligible PAX.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I was finally able to use PreCheck at FLL early this morning in the DL terminal. Less than 60 seconds.

Thank goodness: FLL was an utter mess at 5:45 this morning.

One interesting thing to note was the fact that the TSA document checker was ensuring the BP had SkyPriority on it before permitting entry into the PreCheck lane.

It is possible to be PreCheck eligible and to not be SkyPriority. I'm wondering what will happen to non-SkyPriority, PreCheck eligible PAX.
Yes.... with a GE number.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DelrayChris

I've never run into that at airports with a shared SP/Pre line. But, that's one of the reasons that I carry my GE card. Proves Pre eligibility and serves as a gov't ID without having to show my address to the TSO or whoever else.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
broken pre?

I was at DCA on Saturday morning for an 8:30 a.m. Delta flight and fortunately arrived at TSA security about an hour before my departure time. The lines were long (Delta and United). I noticed that the few folks joining the "pre" queue were being turned away. I joined the "first class/elite" queue. When my turn came for boarding pass/i.d. check, the screener did not swipe my boarding pass. I asked her to swipe it to see if I would get the required number of beeps to go "pre". She swiped my boarding pass and I did not get the go ahead for "pre". During the thirty minutes I waited in line, none of the approximately twenty pax who joined the "pre" queue qualified as per the number of beeps.
I wonder if it was broken. I have never before seen 100% rejects at "pre". It was sad to see a luxurious staffed lane not used.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
I've never run into that at airports with a shared SP/Pre line. But, that's one of the reasons that I carry my GE card. Proves Pre eligibility and serves as a gov't ID without having to show my address to the TSO or whoever else.
Thanks. I guess I will start carrying my GE card.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
I have an Android phone and have looked at a couple of barcode scanning apps, but none seems to work reliably. Suggestions?
I use Accusoft Barcode scanner. It works fine on paper boarding passes; when viewing on the screen, I usually have to enlarge them for it to work.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:35 am

Got my first 3 beeps today at BWI!

Just enrolled in GE over the holidays at the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit. A little tricky to get to the location. You have to go past the signs that say "YOU MUST GO TO CANADA AFTER THIS POINT" and then under the bridge through some frightening gates into the truck depot area. They let you out through the trucking lanes back into the US.

I didn't have my card yet at the airport but looked up the number online and entered it into the Delta site. Was let into precheck no problems.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by gooselee
I would love to see ALL airport with Precheck require people to show their GE card i f their boarding pass doesn't say SP in order to enter that line.

Once precheck becomes more popular, I can see the kettles without GE/Nexus going to the precheck kiosk just because the line is a lot shorter.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would love to see ALL airport with Precheck require people to show their GE card i f their boarding pass doesn't say SP in order to enter that line.

Once precheck becomes more popular, I can see the kettles without GE/Nexus going to the precheck kiosk just because the line is a lot shorter.
+1

Yesterday I was stuck behind a family of five with small kids in the PreCheck line. None of them were cleared for Pre, but they were in the line because it was short. For some reason they weren't prescreening upstream like usual.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Howste
+1

Yesterday I was stuck behind a family of five with small kids in the PreCheck line. None of them were cleared for Pre, but they were in the line because it was short. For some reason they weren't prescreening upstream like usual.
Couldn't they have been in line because they were PreCheck? You are able to take children traveling with you through--it's been a huge benefit when I do travel with my family on vacation.

flying_kicks
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by flying_kicks
Couldn't they have been in line because they were PreCheck? You are able to take children traveling with you through--it's been a huge benefit when I do travel with my family on vacation.

flying_kicks
They could have been, but they weren't. After they all had their boarding passes scanned they were sent to the regular security line.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Not everone has a card. I registered fairly early and at that time, they were not giving out cards; I just have the CBP sticker in my passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.