Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
My boarding passes never show anything about Pre-Check even when I'm approved to go through it. Where is it supposed to show up?
It's not in the human readable text, it's in the barcode. If you scan your boarding pass with a barcode reader it will show the text. One of the text strings you'll find starts with the number 29. Following that will be your 13-digit ticket number with a 0 or 3 after it. 3 indicates precheck, 0 indicates no precheck.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Howste
It's not in the human readable text, it's in the barcode. If you scan your boarding pass with a barcode reader it will show the text. One of the text strings you'll find starts with the number 29. Following that will be your 13-digit ticket number with a 0 or 3 after it. 3 indicates precheck, 0 indicates no precheck.
Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
not that TSA is interested in helping travellers anyway.
They helped your wife, though.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
A similar thing happened to me in LAS on 12/25. My wife is a PM and was okayed for pre check. I was right behind her and was denied (not my first time denied). The fact that it's random makes it pretty useless to me since I have to prepare myself to go through the regular line anyway (everything out of pockets, laptop and liquids out, shoes and belt off, etc.). Since I have to do that anyway, pre check doesn't help much IMO, not that TSA is interested in helping travellers anyway.
Happened to me and my wife three times. Same pnr. Now does that make any sense? If we had some nefarious intentions, we could arrange for our contraband to go with the precheck partner. In fact, each time the precheck one took the carryon.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:58 pm
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Since that fail, has Pre-Check worked again for you? I'm concerned that given all of Delta's IT snafus, could this be just a random TSA fail (which can happen), or is there something wrong with Delta's system? I spoke to both Delta and the TSA...learned a lot about how this works.
No problems since then.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Spent the holidays with some relatives on the East Coast this past week. Took flight out this morning back home. Regular and priority security lanes were a complete mess at the airport due to weather cancellations and delays. Kept getting the growl 'n scowl as DH and I made our way to the TSA Precheck lane which only had the two of us. Had scanned our boarding passes and both of us had the magic "3's". Heard a lot of disgruntled comments coming from the other security lanes, but hey we paid for it and the system worked as designed.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by 14940674
Weren't you flying DL those times? It should not be possible to transfer PreCheck acquired through DL status to US tickets.
Yes, you are correct, I was flying DL.

I mis-read the post that I was responding to.

Thanks for being gentle.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have cleared PreCheck multiple times in PHL at the C concourse. PreCheck status attained thru DL not USAir.

Edited to add: It make sense that is should work this way. One has to presume (and, for so many reasons, hope) that it is a TSA computer and not a DL computer that is selecting who gets the pass. So, it should be independent of what airline is the predominate carrier at a particular checkpoint.
I used the C checkpoint at PHL this morning. Line was huge, but not a sole in the pre ck. Worked like a dream. Three beeps and a short jaunt to D.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I used the C checkpoint at PHL this morning. Line was huge, but not a sole in the pre ck.
Of course not. You're allowed to keep your shoes on there.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Of course not. You're allowed to keep your shoes on there.
I agree; the whole thing sounded fishy.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:37 am

So I'm a GM. No global entry. Delta sent me an email when I turned GM to make sure I "opt in". I'm pretty sure I've been denied pre-check the two times I tried because my delta profile only has my middle initial. I need to call and make the change. No biggie.
Anyways...
I noticed that at Detroit they now have a line for precheck and one for priority. Assuming that I have been enrolled in pre-check (I guess I don't know if I have) I just jumped in that line. I was denied the pre-check but still was the only one in that line and went straight to the scanning.
Is there a way to know if I'm for sure enrolled in Pre-check by delta? I mean I really don't care that much but is it dishonest for me to jump in the pre-check line? I rarely fly out of precheck airports (PBI and TVC are my main departing airports) but it'd be nice to know. The new FLL precheck is glorious looking though so if I have to fly out of there I really want everything to be lined up.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by stils
So I'm a GM. No global entry. Delta sent me an email when I turned GM to make sure I "opt in". I'm pretty sure I've been denied pre-check the two times I tried because my delta profile only has my middle initial. I need to call and make the change. No biggie.
Anyways...
I noticed that at Detroit they now have a line for precheck and one for priority. Assuming that I have been enrolled in pre-check (I guess I don't know if I have) I just jumped in that line. I was denied the pre-check but still was the only one in that line and went straight to the scanning.
Is there a way to know if I'm for sure enrolled in Pre-check by delta? I mean I really don't care that much but is it dishonest for me to jump in the pre-check line? I rarely fly out of precheck airports (PBI and TVC are my main departing airports) but it'd be nice to know. The new FLL precheck is glorious looking though so if I have to fly out of there I really want everything to be lined up.
First, logon to DL.com. Click on "Go to My Delta", then "View My Profile", then click "Open" for "Basic Info". On the "Basic Info" page there is a section labeled "Secure Flight Passenger Data". Make sure THIS information matches your government-issued ID (presumably a driver license). If your government-issued ID uses your full middle name, list your full middle name. If middle initial, list middle initial. The point is to make this info match your ID.

Second, check an existing upcoming reservation. Bring up the reservation and select "> Passenger Information". You'll see a section labeled "Secure Flight Passenger Data". Make sure this section matches your government-issued ID. Click the check box that says "Save my Secure Flight Passenger Data".

This check indicates your consent to store your Secure Flight Passenger Data consistent with our privacy policy. For Delta members, by checking this box, you also consent to Delta Air Lines, Inc. sharing your information with TSA to be considered for TSA Pre √ ™ at select TSA checkpoints.
You will want to check each upcoming reservation's Secure Flight Passenger Data until you start to consistently get TSA PreCheck to make sure the data in each reservation record matches your government-issued ID. It is the Secure Flight Passenger Data as saved in each reservation that is sent to TSA for precheck eligibility, which is why you need to check each upcoming reservation to make sure it's right.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I am flying out of LGA on Tuesday and I know precheck is only in terminal D not C at LGA. If my flight is out of C and I am checking a bag, can I use the luggage check in at D instead of C and hope for precheck and just use the concourse to walk over or do I have to check my bag in C? Being New Year's Day, I am thinking it would be quicker to just do precheck in D (if my boarding pass code ends in 3) and walk over to C than to deal with the crowds at C
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
First, logon to DL.com. Click on "Go to My Delta", then "View My Profile", then click "Open" for "Basic Info". On the "Basic Info" page there is a section labeled "Secure Flight Passenger Data". Make sure THIS information matches your government-issued ID (presumably a driver license). If your government-issued ID uses your full middle name, list your full middle name. If middle initial, list middle initial. The point is to make this info match your ID.

Second, check an existing upcoming reservation. Bring up the reservation and select "> Passenger Information". You'll see a section labeled "Secure Flight Passenger Data". Make sure this section matches your government-issued ID. Click the check box that says "Save my Secure Flight Passenger Data".

You will want to check each upcoming reservation's Secure Flight Passenger Data until you start to consistently get TSA PreCheck to make sure the data in each reservation record matches your government-issued ID. It is the Secure Flight Passenger Data as saved in each reservation that is sent to TSA for precheck eligibility, which is why you need to check each upcoming reservation to make sure it's right.
So if the "secure flight passenger data" is correct in my profile as well as the ticket then it should be good? My delta profile name itself just has middle initial but everything on the secure flight info is exactly the same as my ID.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by stils
So if the "secure flight passenger data" is correct in my profile as well as the ticket then it should be good? My delta profile name itself just has middle initial but everything on the secure flight info is exactly the same as my ID.
Secure Flight Data same as Govt ID = good

Assuming of course you're traveling on an eligible itinerary (domestic US).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.