Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Did anyone else notice that we can no longer use a barcode scanner to see if we have a "0" (precheck denied) or "3" (precheck approved) ?. I did notice that I now see my skymiles number in the barcode and today that resulted in precheck approved. Hmm Interesting
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by g2gtrading
Did anyone else notice that we can no longer use a barcode scanner to see if we have a "0" (precheck denied) or "3" (precheck approved) ?. I did notice that I now see my skymiles number in the barcode and today that resulted in precheck approved. Hmm Interesting
it's still there, but some of the white space has been eliminated. see this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19842613-post958.html
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Did anyone else notice that we can no longer use a barcode scanner to see if we have a "0" (precheck denied) or "3" (precheck approved) ?.
It worked yesterday. What changed?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:39 pm

Correct; no more "0" or "3". Not sure if they simply removed it from the bar code. This supports my theory that your "approval" is not stored in the bar code, but is actually looked up, in real-time, when your BP is scanned.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Correct; no more "0" or "3". Not sure if they simply removed it from the bar code. This supports my theory that your "approval" is not stored in the bar code, but is actually looked up, in real-time, when your BP is scanned.
Just checked our BP's for tomorrow and the 3's are certainly there.

There's the 29 followed by the ticket number which is followed by the 0 or 3.

Here's what the scan contans:

@ is my name, # is the PNR, Origin, Dest, Flight#, $ is seat number, % is Ticket Number, & is FF number,

M1@@@@@@@@@@@@@ E###### LGAMSYDL 1715 357Y$$$$0001 155>318
DL 29%%%%%%%%%%%%%3 DL &&&&&&&&&&
DL0012VK7W7$$$
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
How so? None of the BP scanners are networked. They're all stand-alone units.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Dec 21, 2012 at 4:58 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Having followed several other PreCheck threads around FlyerTalk (primarily the very extensive UA thread as well as the AS thread), I'm pretty sure your theory is incorrect for the reason that FriendlySkies outlined.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Does anyone know how late the ATL precheck lane stays open? Have a 9pm flight coming up and want to plan accordingly. Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
How so? None of the BP scanners are networked. They're all stand-alone units.
Interesting. I will have to have a look the next time I see one.

I have a difficult time believing that the TSA would rely on only a coded bar code.

Anyone could re-generate the bar code on their boarding pass to get the three beeps.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:40 am
Suspended

Interesting. I will have to have a look the next time I see one.

I have a difficult time believing that the TSA would rely on only a coded bar code.

Anyone could re-generate the bar code on their boarding pass to get the three beeps.
I believe an encrypted hash validates the unencrypted data.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Just checked our BP's for tomorrow and the 3's are certainly there.

There's the 29 followed by the ticket number which is followed by the 0 or 3.

Here's what the scan contans:

@ is my name, # is the PNR, Origin, Dest, Flight#, $ is seat number, % is Ticket Number, & is FF number,

M1@@@@@@@@@@@@@ E###### LGAMSYDL 1715 357Y$$$$0001 155>318
DL 29%%%%%%%%%%%%%3 DL &&&&&&&&&&
DL0012VK7W7$$$
Yes. I stand corrected. I wonder if the system was fixed because for quite sometime I was getting the "0" (after being 100% for a long time). Now so far I'm back to 100%.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe an encrypted hash validates the unencrypted data.
Yes. I know United started signing their barcodes a month or so ago. thus preventing tampering. (Before that, they weren't signed, I believe, and could be tampered with.) Did Delta do the same?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Just to confirm...this does indeed work for PHL. This morning, I went to the C Precheck checkpoint with my DL BP, got the triple beep, and walked over to the D concourse once through security. The only catch is that I'm not sure if you can make the walk from the DL check in counter to the C checkpoint outside security without actually going outside, so if you're checking a bag, it may be tricky.
I can confirm that DL flyers can clear precheck in PHL C. That is my new routine.

Yes, unfortunately, there is no way to get from D to C on the public side without going outdoors. Not a long walk.

Who checks a bag?

Something I experienced last time entering thru C...

After the advent of PreCheck, and after learning of its convenience, I acquired a new metal hip.

Precheck lanes typically only have the traditional magnetometer... leaving the choice of avoiding precheck and waiting in longer lines or submitting to a patdown. Albeit, a modified, less invasive patdown... except apparently at LAX where TSA insists on getting their full jollies. (As in "I'm you wicked Uncle Earnie..."

TSA agent at PHL C said I could put my luggage through the X-ray machine in the precheck line, and then he'd let me shortcut the line to get to the millimeter wave machine to avoid the patdown.

Any relevant experience elsewhere from other "bionic" flyers?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jackal
Yes. I know United started signing their barcodes a month or so ago. thus preventing tampering. (Before that, they weren't signed, I believe, and could be tampered with.) Did Delta do the same?
Its stuff like this: http://puckinflight.wordpress.com/20...-check-system/

That make me wonder how much longer this system will be in place. I like knowing in advance especially when flying out of LGA and having a flight in the C terminal. When I'm approved I will go through D and take the shuttle. When I'm denied I head right to C.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its stuff like this: http://puckinflight.wordpress.com/20...-check-system/

That make me wonder how much longer this system will be in place. I like knowing in advance especially when flying out of LGA and having a flight in the C terminal. When I'm approved I will go through D and take the shuttle. When I'm denied I head right to C.
That blog post is not correct. Now that UA signs the barcodes, it is not possible to change the plain-text portion of the barcode without triggering a mismatch with the signature, which then causes the scan to fail (the scanner will display "BP SIGNATURE INVALID").

Some further mentions of this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...s-qr-code.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post19725758
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post19772740

I would assume DL and all other airlines have added signatures to their barcodes as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.