Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by RRDD
3. Sign up for Global Entry and get a Trusted Traveler number.
The best option, IMHO.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
The best option, IMHO.
Exactly. $100 for five years and who knows, perhaps having the GE number makes one more likely to be selected for PreCheck than just having been invited by an airline. If you ever do travel internationally, avoiding hours of lines and a missed connection even once is priceless.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL does not send out any formal invitations. You don't really know if you've been chosen or not, but by all indications, all Gold's have been included. Just fill out Secure Flight Passenger Data section and check the checkbox. I've had very good success without GE and don't really see a need to get it if you are not going to use it for international travel.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
The best option, IMHO.
Originally Posted by RRDD
3. Sign up for Global Entry and get a Trusted Traveler number.
+1

If you are looking to save $50, you can just apply for NEXUS. With a NEXUS membership, you automatically receive GE. The only difference between both is that you don't get a GE card if you do NEXUS, but you do get a NEXUS card.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM,1MM
If you qualify thru Delta, will precheck work on other airlines? I always fly Delta, but have an upcoming United flight for an airport delta doesn't fly into.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:13 pm

Printed BP too small for Pre-Check scanner

Just an FYI - I printed my BP on my dad's printer when I was home visiting. I guess his printer settings are different than mine because the BP printed about 1/2 the normal size.

I didn't think anything of it, because when I scanned it w/ my iPhone scanner app, I was cleared for Pre-Check.

But when I arrived at the Delta Pre-Check lane in Detroit, the TSA scanner wouldn't read my BP. The TSA agent told me my BP was printed too small for the scanner. So no Pre-Check for me, even though I was cleared. I could have gone back and re-printed a new BP, but didn't feel like dealing w/ it at the time.

My iPhone scanner app was able to read it just fine. So the moral is - don't print a small BP if you want to get thru Pre-Check in Detroit.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by brazzleman
If you qualify thru Delta, will precheck work on other airlines? I always fly Delta, but have an upcoming United flight for an airport delta doesn't fly into.
No. Your PreCheck authorization is tied to your SkyMiles account only when flying on DL.

In order to get PreCheck on UA, you need to apply for Global Entry and input your Global Entry membership number in the "Known Traveler" field on your reservation on United.com.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by owen2001
when I scanned it w/ my iPhone scanner app, I was cleared for Pre-Check.
What app do you use? It would be great to know if I was cleared before I walk over to the TSA Pre-Check line.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by pleasantsn
What app do you use? It would be great to know if I was cleared before I walk over to the TSA Pre-Check line.
I've tried a few (Qrafter, Red Laser, and Barcode Scanners) and the only one that worked w/ Delta's BP was "Barcode Scanners" (a free iPhone app by Manatee Works, Inc.)

"Barcode Scanners" app is a bit picky - you might have to try it a few times before it registers, but once it scans the BP, it will tell you all the codes right there on your phone. With Delta, you'll see a long sting of numbers that ends with your ticket number and then either the number 0 or 3. If you see your ticket number (it's printed on your BP) followed by the number 3, then you're good to go.

I'm 100% doing it this way (except w/ my recent experience w/ the BP that was printed too small).

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:55 am

Just an FYI - I printed my BP on my dad's printer when I was home visiting. I guess his printer settings are different than mine because the BP printed about 1/2 the normal size.

I didn't think anything of it, because when I scanned it w/ my iPhone scanner app, I was cleared for Pre-Check.

But when I arrived at the Delta Pre-Check lane in Detroit, the TSA scanner wouldn't read my BP. The TSA agent told me my BP was printed too small for the scanner. So no Pre-Check for me, even though I was cleared. I could have gone back and re-printed a new BP, but didn't feel like dealing w/ it at the time.

My iPhone scanner app was able to read it just fine. So the moral is - don't print a small BP if you want to get thru Pre-Check in Detroit.
The same thing happened to me this week at home. I never had this issue before, so I suspect it's a Delta IT problem. Same as you, the BP was not able to be scanned since it was too small, so I used my iPhone Passbook one instead. TSA said without it, I would have to go to a kiosk to reprint my BP. Thankfully, I did not need to ... and I got the coveted 3 beeps!

Incidentally, the agent said she had encountered several passengers with BP Minis recently. Fortunately, the flight attendant did not bat an eye at my tiny HOOU coupon ... ahhh, Woodford.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I had my first Pre-Check failure yesterday, i.e. denied. It was odd in that my wife has the same status as me, and we were traveling on the same itinerary, and she got through Pre-Check, with me stuck in the regular line that was about 30 min long.
Following up on this post. I went to Pre-Check at LGA and MCO this week, and it worked fine. So my only fail so far remains the one mentioned above.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Following up on this post. I went to Pre-Check at LGA and MCO this week, and it worked fine. So my only fail so far remains the one mentioned above.
Had a new one today on the Delta website (and a good one) - a huge pop up showed up saying my TSA Pre-Check information didn't match my ticket profile (middle name versus no middle name) and asking me which one I wanted to use. Since the TSA is now doing full name matching this was a great thing for Delta to do for people that are pre-check eligible.

They gave the option of which way I wanted my account name to be listed and it took <30 seconds!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by planecrazy63
Had a new one today on the Delta website (and a good one) - a huge pop up showed up saying my TSA Pre-Check information didn't match my ticket profile (middle name versus no middle name) and asking me which one I wanted to use. Since the TSA is now doing full name matching this was a great thing for Delta to do for people that are pre-check eligible.

They gave the option of which way I wanted my account name to be listed and it took <30 seconds!
Delta told me last month that the TSA was going to start focusing on complete name match (Delta profile vs. ID), including middle name. However, I only have a middle initial in my Delta profile, and my full middle name on my ID, and did not have a problem this week. I'd be curious to see if this changes.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
I've tried a few (Qrafter, Red Laser, and Barcode Scanners) and the only one that worked w/ Delta's BP was "Barcode Scanners" (a free iPhone app by Manatee Works, Inc.)

"Barcode Scanners" app is a bit picky - you might have to try it a few times before it registers, but once it scans the BP, it will tell you all the codes right there on your phone. With Delta, you'll see a long sting of numbers that ends with your ticket number and then either the number 0 or 3. If you see your ticket number (it's printed on your BP) followed by the number 3, then you're good to go.

I'm 100% doing it this way (except w/ my recent experience w/ the BP that was printed too small).

Hope that helps.
I downloaded the app but each time I try to read my BP I get a different string but none with my BP #. Any special usage tips?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Never mind. The one code format I didn't enable (PDF) was the one needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.