Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by troyintn
More importantly have people been able to use the Amex Reserve cert for F? I have so many problems with the DL Plat card certs I may get the reserve card if I knew I could use the Certs for F easily. Then not have to use a choice for the Sky club.
Used two last year and two this year. Sometimes A and I weren't available on all segments and you can either keep checking or take coach for the short segments since upgrades are now allowed.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
Yes, companion certificates are eligible for upsell offers after ticketing. This is NOT a reissue onto Comfort or First Class, as that's still not allowed. These are upsell offers, which are the only way to upgrade a companion cert reservation. RUCs, GUCs, and traditional mileage upgrades still aren't allowed.

Cost can sometimes be cheaper than the fare difference pre purchase, and sometimes more expensive.
What's the difference between an upsell and a reissue? The amount of miles accrued by the primary passenger?

Bummer that it can't be done with miles tho.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:31 am

Question: How far in advance should one be looking to book when using the Amex DL Plat companion cert? What is a "safe" window.

I'm looking at using my cert for 2018 on the Jul 4 week vacation...I know...it could potentially be a peak time. Our dates are flexible but only by 1-2 days unfortunately.

One plus is we're not sure where we're going yet...DTW to LGA/JFK-MSY-SFO-BOS-SEA...our plans are still wide open. Throw out a suggestion! ha. We just know we're probably going to get away, and would like to burn this cert.

I applied for and was approved for my DL Plat Amex on 10/25/16...so I assume my cert will be avail on 10/25/17.

GENERALLY...is 7-8 months out reasonable to expect a L, U, T, X, V fare to be available?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd start looking as soon as you have the cert. DL may have low fare buckets available, however they seem to be not opening up lower inventory until 3-6 months before the flight since they don't know how it is selling yet... it really depends on the route and demand. Best advise is to start watching.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rylan
Since you plan at least a few months out, you should be able to find dates/routing with eligible fare classes, unless you're trying to travel during a peak vacation period... but even then its still possible.

It seems that the majority of people who complain its hard to use are not flexible at all or just take a couple looks and give up. I've always been able to use mine. Sometimes its piece of cake, sometime I have to watch the flights I want regularly until the availability opens up.

If you have status, you are eligible for upgrades with the companion cert now. Not sure on the details for upgrading after.
+1

Several months out, Nonstop from a hub, moderate flexibility on dates/times/location...you'll be able to use these every time. The most "flexibility" I've had to deal with when using my certs out of ATL is maybe choosing a flight a couple hours before or after my first preference. But on leisure trips, I'd do that anyway if there was a >$50 fare difference.

Originally Posted by troyintn
More importantly have people been able to use the Amex Reserve cert for F? I have so many problems with the DL Plat card certs I may get the reserve card if I knew I could use the Certs for F easily. Then not have to use a choice for the Sky club.
I have had no problems with either the Plat or Reserve cert and continue holding both cards as a result. Several years using the Plat, and two years using Reserve.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by guitarguy19
Question: How far in advance should one be looking to book when using the Amex DL Plat companion cert? What is a "safe" window.

I'm looking at using my cert for 2018 on the Jul 4 week vacation...I know...it could potentially be a peak time. Our dates are flexible but only by 1-2 days unfortunately.

One plus is we're not sure where we're going yet...DTW to LGA/JFK-MSY-SFO-BOS-SEA...our plans are still wide open. Throw out a suggestion! ha. We just know we're probably going to get away, and would like to burn this cert.

I applied for and was approved for my DL Plat Amex on 10/25/16...so I assume my cert will be avail on 10/25/17.

GENERALLY...is 7-8 months out reasonable to expect a L, U, T, X, V fare to be available?
When it comes to using BOGO people need to remember to get the lowest fare you need not try and travel on a holiday weekend. There are blackout dates too one needs to remember. I've used my BOGO without a problem, but then again, I never try and travel during a holiday weekend.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
When it comes to using BOGO people need to remember to get the lowest fare you need not try and travel on a holiday weekend. There are blackout dates too one needs to remember. I've used my BOGO without a problem, but then again, I never try and travel during a holiday weekend.
There aren't blackout days per se, though the fare classes you need tend to not be as prevalent around busy times. Also, individual fares may have blackout dates, though those aren't as common domestically.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Used two last year and two this year. Sometimes A and I weren't available on all segments and you can either keep checking or take coach for the short segments since upgrades are now allowed.
Companion cents are upgrade eligible now. I just booked exactly what you talked about with my companion certificate. I'm in FC for part of it and economy for two segments. The segments in economy have already cleared into C+ and we have the request for complimentary FC upgrade showing in the itinerary.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
There aren't blackout days per se, though the fare classes you need tend to not be as prevalent around busy times. Also, individual fares may have blackout dates, though those aren't as common domestically.
Does booking further out help this at all?

This wouldn't be a *weekend* but the week surrounding the date. Jul 4 falls on a Wed. I will be off work that week and would like to get away. If it doesn't work I'm sure we can use the cert for something else...but just wondering if it will be impossible to use during busy times or not.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Does booking further out help this at all?

This wouldn't be a *weekend* but the week surrounding the date. Jul 4 falls on a Wed. I will be off work that week and would like to get away. If it doesn't work I'm sure we can use the cert for something else...but just wondering if it will be impossible to use during busy times or not.
You have flexibility in time, date (to some extent), and location, and you are booking well in advance (even with the holiday). All very big things that most debbie downers of this cert often do not. I wouldn't overthink this or worry about it too much.

I just did a search with my cert and found four eligible flights DTW-LGA on 6/30, and 4 eligible flights returning LGA-DTW on 7/7.

If you fly outbound 7/3 or 7/4 itself, there are NINE available flights LGA-DTW.

Pricing on all dates starts at $324, which at a quick look seems equal to (or actually slightly lower than) the going cash price for "T" fares both ways.

Didn't have time to search the other destinations, but again, I literally had no issue finding anything within your very flexible parameters on the first try.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
You have flexibility in time, date (to some extent), and location, and you are booking well in advance (even with the holiday). All very big things that most debbie downers of this cert often do not. I wouldn't overthink this or worry about it too much.

I just did a search with my cert and found four eligible flights DTW-LGA on 6/30, and 4 eligible flights returning LGA-DTW on 7/7.

If you fly outbound 7/3 or 7/4 itself, there are NINE available flights LGA-DTW.

Pricing on all dates starts at $324, which at a quick look seems equal to (or actually slightly lower than) the going cash price for "T" fares both ways.

Didn't have time to search the other destinations, but again, I literally had no issue finding anything within your very flexible parameters on the first try.
I've found the same. Might be deciding to go DTW-DEN. Lots of available flights that meet the fare criteria.

Here's a question though: when *exactly* does the cert become available?? Couldn't seem to find a concrete answer to this.

It says "on your card anniversary" but does that mean the date you applied / were approved for the card? Or the date of your first statement, such as when the fee posts? What gives?

If it's the date of the statement on which the fee posts...that would SUCK! That means I'll have to wait until mid/late November...another month closer to when we want to travel. I applied (and was instantly approved) for the card on 10/26. When can I expect the cert to show up in my DL wallet??

EDIT: I actually see it says "it will be available in your renewal month." Is that going to be my Oct statement then? That would be cool...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I've used my BOGO without a problem, but then again, I never try and travel during a holiday weekend.
I've used two in the past two months over holiday weekends. One ATL-MIA over the 4th weekend booked about 3 weeks in advance. Another for this upcoming (Labor day) weekend ATL-CHI booked 2 weeks in advance. Had absolutely zero problems booking either.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:12 am

Been successful every year that I've had the card (~10 years).
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've found the same. Might be deciding to go DTW-DEN. Lots of available flights that meet the fare criteria.

Here's a question though: when *exactly* does the cert become available?? Couldn't seem to find a concrete answer to this.

It says "on your card anniversary" but does that mean the date you applied / were approved for the card? Or the date of your first statement, such as when the fee posts? What gives?

If it's the date of the statement on which the fee posts...that would SUCK! That means I'll have to wait until mid/late November...another month closer to when we want to travel. I applied (and was instantly approved) for the card on 10/26. When can I expect the cert to show up in my DL wallet??

EDIT: I actually see it says "it will be available in your renewal month." Is that going to be my Oct statement then? That would be cool...
How do you mean you've found the same?

In my post, I did a search using the actual BOGO cert currently sitting in my SkyMiles account. This is slightly different from just searching and looking for 2 matching LUTXV fares available for sale, since there are some reports that not all LUTXV fares are eligible (though in my experience there hasn't actually been a difference, so YMMV).

My certs have always posted right about when Amex posts the renewal fee to my account. This is not necessarily when the statement closes..usually sometime in the month leading up to that statement.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

I'm not sure the exact anniversary date for my DL Amex Plat card - I've held the card for several years. However, two data points which might be helpful.

My renewal annual fee posted to my Amex account on April 23 this year, as it did the year before.

My Amex Companion cert posted to my DL Skymiles account on April 3. Last year, my companion cert posted on April 4.

What date did your first annual fee post? Based on my experience, you might expect to see your companion cert post to your DL.com wallet about 19-20 calendar days prior to the posting date for the next annual fee.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.