Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
I'm a bit behind the times as far as booking ST award tickets goes -- I still have a ton of SkyMiles, but I gave up on DL a decade ago and switched to UA (and then AA) -- but I've getting the following error message all morning while attempting to search award-flight availability on both KL's and AF's sites. Is this a regular issue for them?

EDIT: Grrrr ... I can't get an inline image to work. Here's what the error text says: "A technical error occurred and your request could not be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please try again later."

Last edited by kirker; Aug 22, 2017 at 10:57 am Reason: link not working
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kirker
EDIT: Grrrr ... I can't get an inline image to work. Here's what the error text says: "A technical error occurred and your request could not be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please try again later."
I had been getting the same error - just seemed to start working again late Tuesday. Some good low mileage business awards LAX/AMS on KL on select dates in 2018 right now. However, you need flying blue miles to book them depending on how far into the future you want to book (KL already open into August 2018 for award booking but DL isn't open yet)
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I'm looking at CDG-MSP saver Biz award on AF next May. AF has 7 seats available and Delta.com and the call center can't see it. Is it normal for DL to not have access to AF awards when there are that many available to FB members? I called AF and they confirmed there are 7 seats.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:32 am

Will fare classes give me problems?

Hi All,

I'm coming up on the first anniversary for my DL Plat Amex...debating on whether keeping it or not will be worth it.

Each year, my wife and I are almost guaranteed to travel round trip DTW to SFO and/or DTW to RSW. As far as I can see these are fine candidates to use the companion cert...so I'm wondering if keeping it is a good idea.

My question is...will these fare classes required give us problems?? I don't know a lot about all these different fare classes. How fast to do they go? Most often we plan our vacations at least a few months in advance...but how hard of a time will we have finding fares that allow you to use the companion cert?? Does Delta screw you and make it unusable...or is it pretty solid...?

We're fine with coach seats but upgrading to C+ with miles (which I read is now allowed, I think...?) could be cool for the longer flight!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since you plan at least a few months out, you should be able to find dates/routing with eligible fare classes, unless you're trying to travel during a peak vacation period... but even then its still possible.

It seems that the majority of people who complain its hard to use are not flexible at all or just take a couple looks and give up. I've always been able to use mine. Sometimes its piece of cake, sometime I have to watch the flights I want regularly until the availability opens up.

If you have status, you are eligible for upgrades with the companion cert now. Not sure on the details for upgrading after.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Since you plan at least a few months out, you should be able to find dates/routing with eligible fare classes, unless you're trying to travel during a peak vacation period... but even then its still possible.

It seems that the majority of people who complain its hard to use are not flexible at all or just take a couple looks and give up. I've always been able to use mine. Sometimes its piece of cake, sometime I have to watch the flights I want regularly until the availability opens up.

If you have status, you are eligible for upgrades with the companion cert now. Not sure on the details for upgrading after.
No status = no upgrades?

This is what I think I'm seeing upon a deeper look...
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by guitarguy19
No status = no upgrades?

This is what I think I'm seeing upon a deeper look...
The DL Plat Amex certs are great, speaking as a DL PM. With DL's recent changes, Medallions can get complimentary upgrades when using the certs.

For your case guitarguy19 as a DL customer who is not a Medallion, the certs are probably about as valuable now as they were last year - no change. I agree you'll probably be unable to get C+. You'd not be eligible for complimentary C+, and you won't be able to upgrade after booking by paying either money or miles.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
You'd not be eligible for complimentary C+, and you won't be able to upgrade after booking by paying either money or miles.
Not true. Post ticketing, the Companion Desk can process paid upgrades to Delta Comfort and First Class for both passengers. Miles can also be used at the PWM rate (.01/mile) to cover that amount.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:48 pm

The DL Plat Amex certs are great, speaking as a DL PM. With DL's recent changes, Medallions can get complimentary upgrades when using the certs.

For your case guitarguy19 as a DL customer who is not a Medallion, the certs are probably about as valuable now as they were last year - no change. I agree you'll probably be unable to get C+. You'd not be eligible for complimentary C+, and you won't be able to upgrade after booking by paying either money or miles.
Hmm...so then as someone that flies once or twice a year on DL...DTW to SFO/RSW...how valuable should I find this card?

My thought is it *might* be worth keeping if we fly one of those routes annually. They seem like fine ways to use the cert.

Only thing is if we have enough miles we could essentially fly free...and we haven't tapped the personal gold or plat DL Amex cards yet. I dunno. Keeping it might be more trouble than it's worth to save say $125-150 on a flight annually.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
Not true. Post ticketing, the Companion Desk can process paid upgrades to Delta Comfort and First Class for both passengers. Miles can also be used at the PWM rate (.01/mile) to cover that amount.
Without any status?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Interesting! I had no idea that was possible with a DL Amex Plat "coach-only" cert. WidgetTravels, I believe you, but just to be clear, we're talking about the NN3U certificate. You're saying that an NN3U certificate can be upgraded to C+ or to First Class by the "Companion Desk"?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Does that mean they can process RUC upgrades as well?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:21 pm

Interesting! I had no idea that was possible with a DL Amex Plat "coach-only" cert. WidgetTravels, I believe you, but just to be clear, we're talking about the NN3U certificate. You're saying that an NN3U certificate can be upgraded to C+ or to First Class by the "Companion Desk"?
Yeah, there's a thread somewhere around here. I believe Delta/Amex introduced it (the ability for *paid* upgrades if no status, and the complimentary upgrade or something if you have status) sometime in what, May of this year?

Although there was some debate as to what the upgrade cost would be. Since one ticket is like $0, does that mean you're basically paying full fare for first class?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:07 pm

Yes, companion certificates are eligible for upsell offers after ticketing. This is NOT a reissue onto Comfort or First Class, as that's still not allowed. These are upsell offers, which are the only way to upgrade a companion cert reservation. RUCs, GUCs, and traditional mileage upgrades still aren't allowed.

Cost can sometimes be cheaper than the fare difference pre purchase, and sometimes more expensive.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Noctilum
I currently have the Delta Platinum and am eyeing to get the Delta Reserve and keep both. I have a family of four, and eventually I would have 2 companion certs. Does anyone know if I can stack these certs on the same reservation (assuming I book main cabin for all) and also get the benefits of the Reserve card, such as Sky Priority for security, on each ticket?
More importantly have people been able to use the Amex Reserve cert for F? I have so many problems with the DL Plat card certs I may get the reserve card if I knew I could use the Certs for F easily. Then not have to use a choice for the Sky club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.