Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Aren't you suppose to ride your bike to Sturgis?
Technically yes

But with limited vacation time and the fact that driving from DC to SD and back does not interest me at all in a car let alone on a bike - unless we had unlimited time to explore - I'll stick with the plane for the long haul and ride the soft tail around the area when we get there.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QDDawg
Technically yes

But with limited vacation time and the fact that driving from DC to SD and back does not interest me at all in a car let alone on a bike - unless we had unlimited time to explore - I'll stick with the plane for the long haul and ride the soft tail around the area when we get there.
Oh, a rental... Having been to Sturgis many times it's a great event have fun.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: DL PM, HH DM
I've been successful in booking F for DFW-PWM using my companion certificates the last several years. Sometimes I have to be a bit creative on the dates or take the non-prime flight times, but I've never been unable to book the trips.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since they updated/tweaked/fixed the companion cert system online a couple years ago, its worked much better and I haven't had to call to get mine used.
Got BOS-LAS in first on the dates and routing I wanted by watching flights several months out and grabbing it when the A/I opened up.
Able to get what I've wanted for shorter haul coach tickets, and love that they are eligible for upgrade now so we can be in C+ at least when booked.

If you have some patience to watch flights, you should get what you want.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: SPG, DL
We used one this past weekend and were upgraded on both legs! When we originally booked, L class wasn't available at the times we wanted. A few days after booking, L class opened up on the flight I wanted (an earlier flight to the beach), and called the AMEX cert line and they moved us to the earlier flight without hesitation.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
They will transfer you to the companion desk, but there is a common issue of not all flights appearing on the booking page even when the appropriate fare class is available for 2 passengers. Give them a call.
I tried to give them a call. I was told that the flight I wanted doesn't have availability bucket for companion certificate. The guy just told me I'm SOL unless I want to fly different day. I ended up taking connection through ATL instead. Ended up saving $550, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but I'm not excited about connection at all.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough
I tried to give them a call. I was told that the flight I wanted doesn't have availability bucket for companion certificate. The guy just told me I'm SOL unless I want to fly different day. I ended up taking connection through ATL instead. Ended up saving $550, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but I'm not excited about connection at all.
We understand that not all flights are available for use with the certificate, but you found one that saved you $550, although you have to take a connection.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if you are asked something.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Depending how far our your trip is, there is always the possibility of a schedule change that will be enough of a change for you to switch to the direct flight.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Depending how far our your trip is, there is always the possibility of a schedule change that will be enough of a change for you to switch to the direct flight.
It's mid October. I doubt it is going to happen. Every time change happens to my flights, it is not substantial enough to do anything about. But I will watch for for changes anyway.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It's mid October. I doubt it is going to happen. Every time change happens to my flights, it is not substantial enough to do anything about. But I will watch for for changes anyway.
You may already be aware of this/it may not apply here, but even if each individual change is small, if the cumulative change is large enough, that's sufficient to trigger your rebooking options.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:27 pm

Wondering if anyone has recent experience with the delta plat companion cert:
1) T&C states min 3 night stay and max 30 nights. Does that mean a 2-night trip isn't allowed with the cert? I was able to take a 3-day trip booking all the way to the payment page without problem...
2) T&C also states you HAVE to pay with the Delta Skymiles CC, are they referring to the CC that generated the cert? or would any Delta SKymiles CC (or for that matter any other CC) work to purchase?
Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can pay with any Amex.

Not sure about the min/max, but I think I used one for a two night trip last year.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Question: Does the cert post at the same time as the AF? After the AF refund period has ended? If you live in Hawaii does that get around the exclusion?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
We understand that not all flights are available for use with the certificate, but you found one that saved you $550, although you have to take a connection.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if you are asked something.
Originally Posted by BobKid
I've been successful in booking F for DFW-PWM using my companion certificates the last several years. Sometimes I have to be a bit creative on the dates or take the non-prime flight times, but I've never been unable to book the trips.
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I think the people who complain about not being able to use their certificates are looking for an exact date of travel, now I'm wondering if certain markets have some restrictions, the last two years I've not had a problem using ours, now to get a really good deal, I had to change dates slightly, our trip to Key West, I moved our departure ahead 2 days and was able to keep our return the same, and was able to save an extra $103.
The Stockholm Syndrome here shocks me. These certificates have T&C's and if Delta or AMEX doesn't want to let you use these on a flight then Delta can't be selling seats in one of the fare classes these are valid on. INTENTIONALLY not loading hidden inventory that is internal mechanics of how they implement these certificates is fraud.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If I recall the min/max in the T&C was just a recommendation, or something soft like 'typically eligible fares require advance booking and min or max stay'.

They certainly can be used on shorter trips, as I just had a 2 night over a weekend with one. It all depends on the fare rules for the trip you want to take.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.