Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
1. In a thread about the success/failure of using the certs, where the underlying question many people are interested in is "Is the Amex that provides these certs worthwhile?", I think it's absolutely valid to discuss successes and derived value. For those of us that get good value from the certs, our experience and valuation is just as valid as anyone elses.
The only person who can preserve these certs as being worthwhile are those who are redeeming them. Someone needed to get to FL for a cruise and was traveling on the east coast, myself, getting to FL from the west coast, and a friend of mine used it as part of his European vacation (getting from PHX to ATL. Now one if the things I laugh at are people who complain that the flights they want are not bookable with the certs, just like using miles, not all flights are going to be available being flexible is the key. Currently I have the PLT card as I don't fly DL a lot, and really want the Cert, so the $95/fee I'm OK with.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
2. If you have no use for your Reserve certs, there are many on this thread (including me) who will happily take them off your hands.
Are they transferrable? I have one that expires soon and I probably won't be able to use it...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mspflier
Are they transferrable? I have one that expires soon and I probably won't be able to use it...
Yes, but gift it to someone who'll use it. Sale prohibited.

Transferability:
The Companion Certificate is transferable, Primary ticket and Companion ticket are not transferable once issued. Companion Certificate may not be bartered or sold. Companion Certificates or Companion tickets acquired through prohibited sale/barter transactions are void and will not be honored for travel.
Also, to the further above comments, I used the Plat cert this year for a trip to MCO. Tickets were $395 per person well in advance in Y. More than got my annual fee in travel value. We got C+ on the way down, and F on the way back, too. Sometimes an enhancement is actually an enhancement.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
Dunno what the reduced inventory/fare bucket conspiracy theorists will make of this:

Cheapest search result for 1 pax in Y: $678 (K outbound, Q/X broken fare inbound or $683 for straight K/Q)

Cheapest search result for 1 pax in F: $985 (A)

Reserve cert cost for 2 pax: $752 for the primary + $45 in fees for the companion (the $752 was quoted for basically all itineraries regardless of 0, 1, or 2 segments in coach)

I don't see how this pricing makes any sense, but I'm calling it a success
I had a similar experience booking SAT-LAS. I think coach for one person was $5XX but don't really recall. I do remember that F (really A) for one person was pricing at $900, but I paid ~$740 including the taxes/fees on the second ticket using the certificate.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:24 am

Can you book a roundtrip such as this:
MSP to MCO
RSW to MSP
With the Platinum companion certificate?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djwags
MSP to MCO
RSW to MSP

Nope.

"Routing/Blackout Dates - Stopovers, open jaws, and circle trips are not permitted. Blackout dates subject to the rules of the primary ticket fare purchased."
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
MSP to MCO
RSW to MSP
Originally Posted by LBJ
Nope.

"Routing/Blackout Dates - Stopovers, open jaws, and circle trips are not permitted. Blackout dates subject to the rules of the primary ticket fare purchased."
if you're booking far enough out, this is where DL's not-infrequent Saturday schedule changes have the potential to be your friend ...
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
MSP to MCO
RSW to MSP
As someone else mentioned by copying and pasting the routing rules, this itinerary is known as an open jaw, which is not permitted on these certificates.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
Originally Posted by shukar
I just booked using two certificates (I have two AMEX cards) on a end of July ATL-BOS-ATL trip for a family of four. So far two of us are upgraded to Comfort+.
Both myself and companion were upgraded to Business class on the outbound trip. On the return leg, I had a change of dates (but not the companion) and I ended up having to buy one-way new ticket for the companion as I didn't want to take a chance that DL would let the companion travel without me on the same flight.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
if you're booking far enough out, this is where DL's not-infrequent Saturday schedule changes have the potential to be your friend ...
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
As someone else mentioned by copying and pasting the routing rules, this itinerary is known as an open jaw, which is not permitted on these certificates.
I think jrl767 meant is booking MCO or RSW and hope for a schedule change.

Under those circumstances I believe you might be able to pull it off.

What I know is that they will not separate you even for a schedule change. (although I didn't try to push it) Had an long delay, call to request separate flight was told a big NO NO. Can't separate on the app either. Also SDC/SDS still can't separate.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Is it possible to combine the companion certificate with unused ticket credit?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhze
Is it possible to combine the companion certificate with unused ticket credit?
I don't think so. If I remember correctly, the payment method is ONLY AMEX (likely DL AMEX too).
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
I don't think so. If I remember correctly, the payment method is ONLY AMEX (likely DL AMEX too).
Definite "no" on combining Amex cert with flight credit (or really any payment method other than Amex).

However, a DL Amex is not required, despite what the T&Cs say. I have used a non-DL Amex on many companion cert redemptions in the past (and certainly will continue to do so with the 5X on the unbranded Plat card). You must use an Amex, but you can use any Amex you want.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Just booked DTW - MIA RT in F, going 1/2/18 & returning 1/13 using the Reserve Companion cert., total for both seats was $708.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rubesl
Just booked DTW - MIA RT in F, going 1/2/18 & returning 1/13 using the Reserve Companion cert., total for both seats was $708.
That certainly sounds like a proper "A" fare for those dates.

That cert really does work. Yesterday I was able to book FLL-PSC using one of them for $1100. Definitely a standard "A" on that route and I felt that I was lucky to get it since the return was for a Sunday daytime in mid-October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.