Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RaflW
Yup. Request for C+ cleared within a couple minutes for one segment of the cert trip I booked for this June. We'll take exit row on the return as all C+ aisle seats are already gone. UG to F request box is checked (but not holding my breath).
Glad this seems to have worked out. Seems silly to say you would be eligible with status AND you have a premium airline card with perks and by using a perk you lose ALL benefits of your actual airline status.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by gooselee
Why would they do this? The FC cert on the Reserve is one of the main elements of how they market/justify the higher AF (the other two being SC access and more MQMs).
For me, it's really a matter of delayed credit card consolidation and over-kill; what with a regular Amex Platinum, the DL Amex Platinum, and an Executive Sky Club Membership. That, and despite being a GM, I've purchased a Y ticket twice in the past two years with DL; we always just buy F. Nevertheless, dinanm3atl's point is what I would cite as a reasonable rationale and more universally applicable situation:

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Glad this seems to have worked out. Seems silly to say you would be eligible with status AND you have a premium airline card with perks and by using a perk you lose ALL benefits of your actual airline status.
^
Old May 15, 2017, 1:18 pm

I booked a companion flight ATL-LAS roundtrip that we took just 2 weeks back with my Platinum AMEX. Got a free upgrade to C+ on flight there and FC on flight home. I was shocked honestly, due to my Silver status. Do they take into account the companion status as well, as she was Gold at the time?
Old May 15, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by weaverswonders6
I booked a companion flight ATL-LAS roundtrip that we took just 2 weeks back with my Platinum AMEX. Got a free upgrade to C+ on flight there and FC on flight home. I was shocked honestly, due to my Silver status. Do they take into account the companion status as well, as she was Gold at the time?
Yes, highest status on a PNR determines UG priority. Though...still kind of surprising for a GM to get a comp upgrade on that route. ATL-LAS and return is usually a tough one all days of the week. I've even missed it as a PM on a RUC (and no companion).
Old May 15, 2017, 1:56 pm

Yes, highest status on a PNR determines UG priority. Though...still kind of surprising for a GM to get a comp upgrade on that route. ATL-LAS and return is usually a tough one all days of the week. I've even missed it as a PM on a RUC (and no companion).
Yea, maybe more the timing? We did a Sat-Tues flight and flight on Tues left at 6AM.

Also, is it like that for all Delta flights? I wasn't aware cause she never had Medallion status until recent changes to travel at work. I can keep booking the flights we both are on and they'll use her status?
Old May 15, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Yea, maybe more the timing? We did a Sat-Tues flight and flight on Tues left at 6AM.

Also, is it like that for all Delta flights? I wasn't aware cause she never had Medallion status until recent changes to travel at work. I can keep booking the flights we both are on and they'll use her status?
In general yes, it doesn't matter who books or pays, the higher tier priority attaches for two travellers (3 or more on a PNR changes things). Interesting that even on a cert that you exercised seems to have prioritized the UGs.

Really, any GM ups to F these days seem rare. My last 18 months as a GM were pretty slim pickins (not to turn this into an UG success thread ).
Old May 15, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Gotcha. Odd hours midweek definitely help, but I've missed on that exact same flight/time before. Glad you guys got the UG!

And yes...at least all upgrade-eligible DL flights. The priority-based-on-highest-level was a change within the last year. Note that it only works for PNRs with 2 people - if you have 3+ on the same PNR, nobody is eligible.

More info/discussion: Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level
Old May 15, 2017, 2:40 pm

Gotcha. Odd hours midweek definitely help, but I've missed on that exact same flight/time before. Glad you guys got the UG!

And yes...at least all upgrade-eligible DL flights. The priority-based-on-highest-level was a change within the last year. Note that it only works for PNRs with 2 people - if you have 3+ on the same PNR, nobody is eligible.

More info/discussion: Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level
Thanks for clarifying and sorry to derail this thread. It's almost always just the 2 of us, so that's good to know. We can get back on topic now. ^
Old May 15, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for clarifying and sorry to derail this thread. It's almost always just the 2 of us, so that's good to know. We can get back on topic now. ^
No worries! Data points around the application of UG rules to these certificates is quite relevant to this thread, IMO.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:49 pm

I'm fine with being in Japan for a day, but is there a way I can go through ICN or possibly another routing, and not have to pay 175k+ for it?

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 7, 2019 at 11:21 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 9:50 am

Dumb question, not sure if this should be here or the C+ section.

OK, used the Delta Amex Platinum Skymiles Companion pass (before the upgrade policy changed). We have roundtrip flight:
7/1/17 - ALB - ATL (6:00 a.m. departure) and ATL -> EYW (12:23 or something departure).
7/8/17 - EYW -> ATL (3:00 p.m. or so departure) and ATL -> ALB (7:52 pm departure)

In economy/coach.

If I wanted to pay for the C+ Upgrade, but it's not available on all the segments (I think one segment only has 1 seat), can you pay for just that one segment, or is it like a regular ticket where you get charged for the whole thing even though you don't get it all the way? (Like buying a roundtrip FC and it's in mixed cabin type of thing)?

I could hope for an OLCI, but not holding my breath, especially through ATL.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by hurnik

OK, used the Delta Amex Platinum Skymiles Companion pass (before the upgrade policy changed). We have roundtrip flight:
7/1/17 - ALB - ATL (6:00 a.m. departure) and ATL -> EYW (12:23 or something departure).
7/8/17 - EYW -> ATL (3:00 p.m. or so departure) and ATL -> ALB (7:52 pm departure)

In economy/coach.

If I wanted to pay for the C+ Upgrade, but it's not available on all the segments (I think one segment only has 1 seat), can you pay for just that one segment, or is it like a regular ticket where you get charged for the whole thing even though you don't get it all the way? (Like buying a roundtrip FC and it's in mixed cabin type of thing)?

Do you have status with DL? If you have status, did you check the "request upgrade" box in this reservation?
Old May 17, 2017, 10:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

I'm not sure you can pay for it at this point, but upgrades into WU should be on a segment-by-segment basis (assuming none of these are "direct" flights)...

Originally Posted by mnbp
Do you have status with DL? If you have status, did you check the "request upgrade" box in this reservation?
... I haven't booked a companion cert ticket since the change, but that would be my question too. If this doesn't work, call in -- even though you booked before the policy change I'm sure they would extend it to you if available.

Looks like your ATL-EYW is W0 and EYW-ATL is W1 though.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In economy/coach.

Upgrading to C+ would require upgrading to a W fare. The companion cert is only good for LUTXV fares, so it would not be permitted. As mentioned above, if you have status, you are now eligible for comp upgrades to C+ on companion certs at the appropriate Medallion window.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mnbp
No, no status with DL, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.