Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bernyx
I assume not, however can someone tell me the lowest amount of miles it takes for a business class from US to SE asia if available?
KE awards show up on DL (as every other SkyTeam airline, except KQ, OK and UX if I am not mistaken) during dates when not blacklisted and when there is availability (that is limited, remember, to 1 O and 2 X seats per flight).

There are wide blackout dates for KE as documented on delta.com, and also for many (most? all?) KE flights DL blacks out Fri - Sun all year round. If you are searching for Mon-Thu on non-blackout dates 330 days out or thereabouts for one seat, you should see some availability..of course closer in it's less, as when the 1O/2X seats are gone, that's it. Make sure to ever only search for one seat, otherwise you'll practically never see KE awards.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bernyx
I assume not, however can someone tell me the lowest amount of miles it takes for a business class from US to SE asia if available?
As for cost it varies. If there's any connecting DL flights it can be a huge amount. If it's strictly partner metal it should be somewhere around 100k miles. Always call for partner flights. While KE does really limit award inventory, DL IT doesn't do well searching for routes on partners with connections at partner hubs. Ie China Airlines through TPE almost never shows up even though there's award inventory.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: BA
Is GOL considered a non-SkyTeam partner?

Last edited by wiivile; Mar 21, 2019 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:57 am

Is 75k pretty much the minimum one way to Europe in D1? I am searching from MSP. It only seems to be at that price to AMS (and rarely at that). Is that because they have so many daily flights to that airport?

Also any advice on searching for connecting flights, like MSP-BCN through AMS?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Delete - wrong thread.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Has anyone been able to combine an DL credit from a previously cancelled trip with an Amex companion cert?

I'm assuming I'll need to call in for this, but the T&C's say "The certificate cannot be combined with another offer or discount including, but not limited to, web fares, sale fares and eCoupons."

Online I can't add any other certificates after selecting the companion cert, but I'm not sure if "eCoupon" is the same thing as "eCredit".

The eCredit in question was the result of a plain-vanilla, US48, main cabin ticket booked and paid for by CC. Trip was cancelled a few days prior and I have the leftover after $200 change fee.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gooselee
Has anyone been able to combine an DL credit from a previously cancelled trip with an Amex companion cert?

I'm assuming I'll need to call in for this, but the T&C's say "The certificate cannot be combined with another offer or discount including, but not limited to, web fares, sale fares and eCoupons."

Online I can't add any other certificates after selecting the companion cert, but I'm not sure if "eCoupon" is the same thing as "eCredit".

The eCredit in question was the result of a plain-vanilla, US48, main cabin ticket booked and paid for by CC. Trip was cancelled a few days prior and I have the leftover after $200 change fee.
I've tried before and they told me it's not possible. An Amex must be used for 100% of the purchase cost (so no gift cards, vouchers, ecredits, etc.). YMMV though.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As for cost it varies. If there's any connecting DL flights it can be a huge amount. If it's strictly partner metal it should be somewhere around 100k miles. Always call for partner flights. While KE does really limit award inventory, DL IT doesn't do well searching for routes on partners with connections at partner hubs. Ie China Airlines through TPE almost never shows up even though there's award inventory.

Partner metal US-SE Asia in J is 85k one way. If you have a segment on DL metal to get to JFK/SFO/LAX/YVR it’s still 85k provided the DL segment is booked in OZ. Other variations of O on the DL segment will cause the cost to rise.

Last edited by sleuth; Sep 3, 2020 at 1:48 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Virgin Atlantic Upper Class can have decent availability and is 75k miles
Does anyone know the logic in which VS releases space to Delta? Also, I just looked SFO-LON and it says my only options start at 105k and have connections. Only when I filter for nonstop does it even come up and it's 86,500. It's weirdly hidden.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pmfc
Does anyone know the logic in which VS releases space to Delta? Also, I just looked SFO-LON and it says my only options start at 105k and have connections. Only when I filter for nonstop does it even come up and it's 86,500. It's weirdly hidden.
I don't know the logic, but the miles needed has gone up
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I don't know the logic, but the miles needed has gone up
Yep. Good to note for others that you have to filter for nonstop for it to even show up when searching for it on delta.com, at least for the SFO route. Otherwise you will only get more expensive options on DL metal w/ connections Also, it still only charges $5.60 taxes & fees when going from US->EU. I believe it's around $600 on the way back. Just booked for my flight there in August! Will probably just fly Norwegian for the daytime flight on the way back rather than pay that exorbitant surcharge.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No, companion cert must be fully paid with an Amex card.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pmfc
Yep. Good to note for others that you have to filter for nonstop for it to even show up when searching for it on delta.com, at least for the SFO route. Otherwise you will only get more expensive options on DL metal w/ connections Also, it still only charges $5.60 taxes & fees when going from US->EU. I believe it's around $600 on the way back. Just booked for my flight there in August! Will probably just fly Norwegian for the daytime flight on the way back rather than pay that exorbitant surcharge.
Taxes and fee wise that's correct. Any ticket departing ex-LHR in J/PE gets charged the "luxury" tax. Also any OW ticket departing ex-Europe gets charged flight surcharges (YQ). Thus always cheaper to book RT and to fly in to LHR within 24hrs of departure, as then the luxury tax doesn't apply.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Hello. Newbie at using Delta miles. Planning the following, 1 person: Aug 4 JFK-LHR business class, Aug 8 LHR-FCO economy, Aug 19 FCO-LHR economy, Aug 20 (22-23 hours after LHR arrival, to avoid exorbitant APD) LHR-JFK business.

At Delta’s website I found 2 available roundtrips: Aug 4/Aug 20 JFK-LHR-JFK Virgin Upper Class 172,000 miles and Aug 8/Aug 19 LHR-FCO-LHR Alitalia Economy 30,000 miles but booking that way would include the high APD. Tried to do it as one multi-city itinerary but the website would not allow it, apparently the website will not allow booking an award itinerary with segments in different classes . Called Delta, spoke with a lovely and apparently knowledgeable agent who found the exact same round-trips and who also could not combine them or figure out a way to book it.

Is there a way to book this sort of thing?

Thank you.

(I realize this is a lot of miles but it’s worth it to me.)
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I've tried before and they told me it's not possible. An Amex must be used for 100% of the purchase cost (so no gift cards, vouchers, ecredits, etc.). YMMV though.
That's disappointing news, but good to have clarification. I'm sitting on some DL GCs that I would love to burn using this companion ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.