Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:14 pm

I had an award ticket w dl miles on CZ. PVG-CAN-CHC.

CZ had a schedule change in which they no longer operate flights out of PVG to CAN. All their flights got shifted to SHA.
They (CZ is my guess) changed the flight without giving me a heads up and shifted me to a MU flight that is 3 hours earlier.

Per DL site, there were awards available for CZ from SHA to CAN. But I tried talking to the reissue desk they weren't able to book it. says the requests all came back as unconfirmed, basically for all the flights that day despite all being shown as available online. The rep says he sees this all the time and he also tried calling his help desk without luck

I had the guy do a separate fake booking it came back as "requested' than unconfirmed.

IMO, not being able to book one specific flight is a fluke, all flights?? I dont know.

What are my options? Who can i talk to?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kaiotes
I had an award ticket w dl miles on CZ. PVG-CAN-CHC.

CZ had a schedule change in which they no longer operate flights out of PVG to CAN. All their flights got shifted to SHA.
They (CZ is my guess) changed the flight without giving me a heads up and shifted me to a MU flight that is 3 hours earlier.

Per DL site, there were awards available for CZ from SHA to CAN. But I tried talking to the reissue desk they weren't able to book it. says the requests all came back as unconfirmed, basically for all the flights that day despite all being shown as available online. The rep says he sees this all the time and he also tried calling his help desk without luck

I had the guy do a separate fake booking it came back as "requested' than unconfirmed.

IMO, not being able to book one specific flight is a fluke, all flights?? I dont know.

What are my options? Who can i talk to?
Sadly they can't force partners to book you, only request. You're calling the correct place. Only other place us DL CS. They might be able to call CZ and get them to approve. I've also been told that they need to enter the partner flights first in reservation then DL flights. They may be just trying to take out the MU flight and replace with CZ. Instead need to build it from scratch with the CZ flight entered first.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Need advice/guidance. I have 775,000 Skymiles- legacy when i used JFK a lot. Time to burn them now on trip to Europe in Biz. What can i expect for these miles and any tips on how to optimize them in terms of schedule/timing?

TIA
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by manstein58
Need advice/guidance. I have 775,000 Skymiles- legacy when i used JFK a lot. Time to burn them now on trip to Europe in Biz. What can i expect for these miles and any tips on how to optimize them in terms of schedule/timing?

TIA
70k OW J. Sadly JFK-EU costs the same as LAX-EU. Partner metal is usually best deal. Awards outside US are generally best value. Ie JNB-SYD/AKL or EU-JNB, SIN-TLV, etc...
manstein58 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Went to book HSV>EWR a couple of weeks out (Nov 3-8) and wanted to use one of my AXP certs. Put in the cert and went to look for flights.

ZERO availability!

What?! The flights I’m looking at are half empty, with practically empty F cabins (the F fares are pretty cheap). I know the AXP cert is Y only, but apparently the redemption rules are for dirt-cheap classes only, and what’s showing are Q and K fares.

That’s insane. I can’t use the cert with a higher Y fare class.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
I agree

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Went to book HSV>EWR a couple of weeks out (Nov 3-8) and wanted to use one of my AXP certs. Put in the cert and went to look for flights.

ZERO availability!

What?! The flights I’m looking at are half empty, with practically empty F cabins (the F fares are pretty cheap). I know the AXP cert is Y only, but apparently the redemption rules are for dirt-cheap classes only, and what’s showing are Q and K fares.

That’s insane. I can’t use the cert with a higher Y fare class.
We are looking at going to FL mid April - "SOLD OUT" No FL cities form MSP had availability, even modified the dates a little. Also checked LAX, SFO, LAS, JFK - ALL sold out. Granted, it is around Easter but we have done this same thing for the past 5 years. I called the Plat line and the rep checked and said that was very odd. She said maybe it will open up in the next couple of months.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
My miles/mqm credited to flyingblue despite specifically putting my delta number on the PNR. Is there a way to ask them to revert the credit so I can redeem on delta?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Explorer789
My miles/mqm credited to flyingblue despite specifically putting my delta number on the PNR. Is there a way to ask them to revert the credit so I can redeem on delta?
You can try to ask, but it's highly unlikely to be possible, as it has already post to FB.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
70k OW J. Sadly JFK-EU costs the same as LAX-EU. Partner metal is usually best deal. Awards outside US are generally best value. Ie JNB-SYD/AKL or EU-JNB, SIN-TLV, etc...
Virgin Atlantic Upper Class can have decent availability and is 75k miles
JustinTJ likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott-Titanium, Hilton-Diamond
Took some searching but booked MIA-LHR and then BRU-PBI in G, OZ, RZ this week for 161k SM and $60 for mid May to early June
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Wow. I really had the same problem! In mid-september.
I was flying BUD-CDG-HKG//HKG-AMS-BUD. On the outbound flight with AF there was no problem, I got my miles to DL. And on my return flight, despite adding my skymiles number to PNR online, at the checkin, the agent printed my flyingblue number on my boarding pass (this was possibly because their system offers the KLM-flyingblue number during check in, if there is a name and birth date match). I noticed it only after security, so I couldn't go to the gate. My miles were added to my KLM account. Just 2 days later I wrote to Delta and KLM as well. Delta replied within 24 hours, by saying it can't be done, since it was already credited to partner airline. KLM also replied the same about a week later.
Once again i wrote a very long letter to KLM, stating that it was their fault, I even sent them a screenshot about having my DL number on my boarding pass, and I also wrote some ........s, like I am an aviation geek, and I saw in multiple forums that it is possible, and the same happened to my boss, etc. Also the last sentence was something like: I know that this request is out of your capabilities, so please be kind to show it to your supervisor, or head of customer service department, because I know it can be done, and yet again, its KLM's fault, and you should share this issue with your tech group, because the same problem can happen to other passengers as well.
Just after 2 days I received the reply:

I'm sorry to hear about the mix up in the frequent flyer program.

I would advise for next time to double check all the details concerning which frequent flyer number is added to the booking. In this case I will make an exception to delete the Miles from your account so you are able to add them to Skymiles. Please keep in mind that conditions can change and that online forums are not a source of reliable information. For the latest and correct information I would suggest to contact us.
Story still not ended, because A) they only deleted my miles, not the XPs (equivalent to MQM). B) I wrote again to delta, to claim my missing miles, but in the past two weeks they still did not reply. I am just going to write them again in monday or tuesday.

Bottom line: its possible, but its going to be very long. Do it only if its a significant amount of miles. For me its about 7000 MQMs, which is just the amount i need to reach diamond this year.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:59 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but:

I'm trying to book something for some friends that live in HI.
I did a "mock booking" just to make sure it would work (didn't actually book anything) from:
KOA to DFW
The cert shows it would apply.

But when I try to book the real desired itinerary, get a "no soup for you" (LOL):
" Oops! We're sorry, the search you entered may not meet the Terms and Conditions for the certificate you're redeeming or the class of service required may not be available. Please select VIEW TERMS & CONDITIONS link below for your certificate rules and try different dates when shopping for flights. Contact the American Express Companion Certificate Desk at 1-855-551-2113, if you need additional assistance.#101660R "

I'm *guessing* it's the class of service?
KOA to BIS
Leaving KOA 5/27 or 5/28
Returning from BIS on 6/12 or 6/13

I tried a booking without the cert, but I'm apparently not understanding the class fares properly. I know the cert requires fares:
L, U, T, X, V

But I don't know if "L" is "higher" than "V".
But when I do an advanced search (obviously without the cert) for 2 people for:
V or higher
or
L or higher
It comes up with itineraries, but I'll see only:
Main (W) from
Main (K) from
Main (Q) from
Main (T) from

I would've thought the Main (T) fare (there's also one on the return) would've counted.
But I've experienced in the past where the cert seems to have other "hidden" restrictions (ie, found 4 flights one time to Key West on valid fares, but when I used the cert, it only showed one flight).
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but:

I'm trying to book something for some friends that live in HI.
I did a "mock booking" just to make sure it would work (didn't actually book anything) from:
KOA to DFW
The cert shows it would apply.

But when I try to book the real desired itinerary, get a "no soup for you" (LOL):
" Oops! We're sorry, the search you entered may not meet the Terms and Conditions for the certificate you're redeeming or the class of service required may not be available. Please select VIEW TERMS & CONDITIONS link below for your certificate rules and try different dates when shopping for flights. Contact the American Express Companion Certificate Desk at 1-855-551-2113, if you need additional assistance.#101660R "

I'm *guessing* it's the class of service?
KOA to BIS
Leaving KOA 5/27 or 5/28
Returning from BIS on 6/12 or 6/13

I tried a booking without the cert, but I'm apparently not understanding the class fares properly. I know the cert requires fares:
L, U, T, X, V

But I don't know if "L" is "higher" than "V".
But when I do an advanced search (obviously without the cert) for 2 people for:
V or higher
or
L or higher
It comes up with itineraries, but I'll see only:
Main (W) from
Main (K) from
Main (Q) from
Main (T) from

I would've thought the Main (T) fare (there's also one on the return) would've counted.
But I've experienced in the past where the cert seems to have other "hidden" restrictions (ie, found 4 flights one time to Key West on valid fares, but when I used the cert, it only showed one flight).
So I called the 855# and apparently the issue is that *my* address is not in HI.
I explained I was booking for other folks who DO live in HI and have a Skymiles account with an address there.

I pointed out that it would happily let me book KOA to DFW or pretty much anywhere else (I get to the spot I can actually apply payment and Certificate *IS* Applied).
I'm not sure if it's a HUCA or not.

I mean, I'm OK with it not letting me book it due to my residency not being in HI, but then their system shouldn't actually let me book when entering KOA as the origin at all, IMO.

Weird. It'll let me book KOA to FAR and even MOT, just not BIS.

The way the wording on the ToC it doesn't really state (IMO) that the person booking has to have a Skymiles address in HI, just that residents of HI have to have a Skymiles account with an address in HI (which the friends do have).

Last edited by hurnik; Nov 21, 2018 at 2:38 pm
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: delta PM, united G, marriott titanium, hilton diamond, avis preferred, hertz pres circle
Just returned PIT-MCO with wife on companion ticket. we were upgraded to first on three of four legs through JFK and LGA on return.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
Hi, new guy here trying to hit status (Silver/Gold) for the first time ever next year.

So I am interested in a flight to TPE. On Delta's website, for the flight that I want to take, I can take a $950 RT flight, that will only net me around <900 MQDs. (I will earn 17000 MQMs)
However... if I book on KE, that same flight, it shows me several options; paying $1100 RT for a U ticket, will give me ~1700 MQDs, (10% of MQM according to Delta's partner chart)
And, if I book on KE a $1300 RT for an E ticket, that will give me ~3400 MQD according to Delta's partner chart! (and all of the 17000 MQMs)

So is this... accurate? And if so, is it essentially a good strategy to basically "buy" roughly 2500 MQD by paying an extra $350USD for the same flight to clear Silver MQD requirement (and an easier path to Gold MQD requirement)?

Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.