Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm seeing ATL-CDG on AF for 66.5k points in J for many days in July. But DL award site refuses to show and AF flights. Is there any work around? Is it worth it?
If it's not available at the normal pricing it is not available for booking with DL. 66,500 seems like a higher than normal pricing level, which means you can only book it using AF/KL FB miles.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: AS
Not sure if this is user incompetence or a bug of some sort,

I am trying to book an award ticket on China Airlines from Ho Chi Min City to Ontario, CA with a 3hr layover in Taipei. There is availability on both legs, but when I search for the entire routing as a single ticket, nothing pops up. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by snowingairlines

I am trying to book an award ticket on China Airlines from Ho Chi Min City to Ontario, CA with a 3hr layover in Taipei. There is availability on both legs, but when I search for the entire routing as a single ticket, nothing pops up. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
You'll need to call. It's DL IT incompetence.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by snowingairlines

You often can’t book online on other airlines with connecting flights. Feed the flights to Delta agent. If they can’t get it to work or they give you additive pricing then HUCA.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:54 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've noticed something and I am wondering if this is normal.

I see AF availability on ATL-CDG and then on a logical connection CDG-NCE when I search the flights as one ways, they come up as costing 25,000 miles and 10,000 miles respectively. However, when I search ATL-NCE, my only options are double connections for tons of miles, with neither of the flights I saw before.

Is this impossible to book on the Delta website? is the only solution to book via calling an agent?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Trying to use a companion certificate, preferred flight is "sold out"

So I know the companion certificate is only for certain fare classes, and that is most likely why this particular flight is listed as "sold out". Is there anything I can do? Is it worth calling a Delta agent? Or am I just out of luck?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'd call. The agent will transfer you to the Companion fare desk who can help you find something.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:15 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
If you're considering multiple possible dates, you can also search by fare class on ITA matrix. Advanced controls like the following should be a good correlation to what you'll find when searching on delta.com with the companion certificate activated.

F BC=V[pipe]BC=X[pipe]BC=L[pipe]BC=U[pipe]BC=T

Replace [pipe] with the vertical bar character. Flyertalk doesn't let me post it.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
If you're looking for F, use BC=I (Capital aye)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mindspin_311
So I know the companion certificate is only for certain fare classes, and that is most likely why this particular flight is listed as "sold out". Is there anything I can do? Is it worth calling a Delta agent? Or am I just out of luck?
It's easy to tell if it's actually a fare class issue. Just book for two without the cert selected and see which fare class is being sold on the flight.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Yep, that is the case. I just wasnt sure what I could do to get around it. Just got off the phone with the DL PM people, nothing they can do.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Yep, that is the case. I just wasnt sure what I could do to get around it. Just got off the phone with the DL PM people, nothing they can do.

Just keep trying. Was trying to find FC for MCO-MSP on a direct flight. For a while only the early flight was available. Finally a couple of days ago, the noon flight showed two available so I was able to grab them. About 650 total so I'm happy.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
I was looking for companion fare MSP-TUS and didn't see decent flights for a week (looked periodically each day), but decided to try one more time before buying MSP-PHX and really nice non-stop flights opened up. I say keep trying.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Another data point: was trying to book a Platinum companion certificate ticket. My preferred flights was available yesterday but not today any more on the Delta companion booking website, but when I tried booking the flight for regular money the needed fare classes were still available for my flights (L and T). So I called Delta, they transferred me to the companion booking desk, and the nice lady there was able to book the flight I wanted.

Now why can't the booking site not show the same flights on their companion booking site?

Also weird is that my companion tickets have more tax charged than 2 tickets for the exact same itinerary I bought with skymiles. Anyone know why this is? May be the extra taxes were for making a reservation over the phone?

Note that the itinerary is JFK-SLC-LAS and LAS-JFK. The taxes listed:

Companion ticket tax (and that is for BOTH tickets):

Taxes, Fees and Charges:
United States - September 11th Security Fee(Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee) (AY)$11.20 USD
United States - Transportation Tax (US)$30.21 USD
United States - Passenger Facility Charge (XF)$13.50 USD
United States - Flight Segment Tax (ZP)$12.60 USD
Skymiles ticket tax:
Taxes, Fees and Charges:
United States - September 11th Security Fee(Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee) (AY)$11.20 USD
Total Charges$11.20 USD

And I'm pretty sure that if I booked with money the tax would also just be $11.20. Why is the companion ticket tax more expensive?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by robert4travels

Now why can't the booking site not show the same flights on their companion booking site?
What Companion booking site are you talking about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.