Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
I had a UA 1K friend then ticket me within two minutes for appropriate miles and taxes and fees. This trip is critical to be flexible to the last minute or I wouldn't push DL so hard.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying a UA 1K friend who works for Delta was able to issue the ticket you wanted correctly? I followed you clearly up until the last line!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying a UA 1K friend who works for Delta was able to issue the ticket you wanted correctly? I followed you clearly up until the last line!
I read it as, they had the 1K friend book a UA award ticket, because award tickets booked from the account of a UA 1K have similar redeposit flexibility that DL DM/PM have.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I want to book a DL SkyMiles award for MU (China Eastern) in C-class BKK-USA via PVG. When I do award searches on Qantas, Air France and KLM websites, they show the seats as available. However, the Delta website does not and when I called DL, they told me that they cannot book an award on MU unless there is a DL segment in the itin (which is not available). Is this correct? Any way to book this using SkyMiles?

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
I want to book a DL SkyMiles award for MU (China Eastern) in C-class BKK-USA via PVG. When I do award searches on Qantas, Air France and KLM websites, they show the seats as available. However, the Delta website does not and when I called DL, they told me that they cannot book an award on MU unless there is a DL segment in the itin (which is not available). Is this correct? Any way to book this using SkyMiles?

Thanks.
What you were told is total nonsense. It is best to book award flights without any DL flights in the itin, as if there are any, then there is a high chance of pricing being jacked up way high.

As long as the O-class (not C, that is revenue, you are looking for O here) is available then you can book it.

dullta.com shows accurate availability of MU flights, so just go to www.delta.com and search for it. When you see it as available, select the flight(s) you want and complete the check-out to ticket it.

Keep in mind that DL often blocks the shortest and most logical connections, so if you don't see the flights origin to destination, try searching segment by segment (i.e. xxx-PVG and PVG-BKK) separately, and if the individual segments are available, call DL to book the through flight (again, as long as you have no DL flights in the itin, it will price right; if you throw in any DL segments, then all logic and sense goes out the window).
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
I haven't booked very many SM award flights, so I would like some input from those who frequently do. We are looking at a possible Europe trip this fall (October-ish) and I was planning to use SM if I can. Flight would be out of ATL and we are looking at the usual destinations of LHR, CDG, AMS, (maybe FCO). Looking at Main Cabin Economy round trip tickets, the best SM rate to any of these destinations is 50,000 + tax/surcharge (partner airlines, some nonstop, some 1 stop). Obviously, LHR has the highest surcharge ranging from $150-$200 and some others were as low as $50. My question is, would 50,000 SM generally be the floor rate for any of these destinations out of ATL? Has anyone had any luck booking for a lower rate than that? Or are there other European destinations that tend to be in the 50k range or lower I didn't list? Out of curiosity I looked at some flights out of JFK in the same time frame and the lowest rate was 44,000 SM. Not enough of a difference to bother getting to JFK. Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Are award flights on HA HNL-AKL bookable online? HNL-SYD shows up as a VA codeshare but the native HA flights do not. Seats should be available as both HA and AA show award seats in C but nothing on dl.com.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Are award flights on HA HNL-AKL bookable online? HNL-SYD shows up as a VA codeshare but the native HA flights do not. Seats should be available as both HA and AA show award seats in C but nothing on dl.com.
Several years ago DL has blocked all HA awards except interisland, so no, you cannot book HNL to PPT, PPG, AKL, SYD, BNE, etc., as you used to be able to do some years ago. Not, that is, as HA flights anyway. That is blocked by DL.

The VA codeshare flight showing is the only way to book it. You're lucky to have found that workaround this DL blockage! (That is also how you can book JL flights with DL SM - if you can get it as an AF codeshare with X or O availability.)
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Several years ago DL has blocked all HA awards except interisland, so no, you cannot book HNL to PPT, PPG, AKL, SYD, BNE, etc., as you used to be able to do some years ago. Not, that is, as HA flights anyway. That is blocked by DL.

The VA codeshare flight showing is the only way to book it. You're lucky to have found that workaround this DL blockage! (That is also how you can book JL flights with DL SM - if you can get it as an AF codeshare with X or O availability.)
Are you able to price out JL and HA metal awards on delta.com or do these awards require a phone call?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by seychellesbound
Are you able to price out JL and HA metal awards on delta.com or do these awards require a phone call?
HA only inter-island.

No other HA awards are available to DL SM, period.

There is a bug (I suspect) that you can book some (only connecting, not direct) HA flights under VA codeshare. But now that it's been brought up here, it'll likely get "enhanced" away soon (it's at horrendous redemption rates anyway so not worth it IMO).

Several years ago I booked an AF flight from Japan to CDG that was a JL-codeshare, AF coded. Not sure if AF still is providing X/O inventory for JL metal flights. If it does and if DL hasn't has enhanced it away, that may be still possible, only on the flights where there are AF-coded JL flights

If you call I don't think they'd book either of these flights that you are not supposed to be able to book. Only reliable way to book those is online, if you can find it so available. Same as booking certain airline award flights during the DL blackout periods (when it's not properly configured on the DL side you can book it online, but once the dates get plugged by DL in then no more), and same as booking certain airline int'l F awards (again at horrible redemption rates). Online online, if you find value in it and can find it online.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
99.9% of time award inventory is only loaded on the operating carriers flight number. In the rare case it is loaded on a codeshare, it can be booked like any other flight with that carriers code. Since flight numbers change it would be hard to keep track of, especially considering how rare it is.

Thus the VA codeshare on HA to SYD can be booked. I believe on that one that VA actually "buys" a couple of rows. IE HA can't seat or sell a ticket for those seats, as it's VAs own seats for practical purposes.

Others are strictly loading inventory on the codeshare. Other than AF on JL flights, I know there's a few AF flights on one of the Indian ocean island carriers that are bookable.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Thus the VA codeshare on HA to SYD can be booked.
Not as a direct flight, though. Only if connecting to somewhere (like BNE, AKL, etc.). HNL-SYD seems to be blocked by DL.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I believe on that one that VA actually "buys" a couple of rows. IE HA can't seat or sell a ticket for those seats, as it's VAs own seats for practical purposes.
Quite likely, as the only JL flights bookable under AF codeshare are ones like that, where AF has exclusive control over a (relatively small) section of the flight - several rows of seats. On those the seatmap on AF only shows a few rows (seems like a very odd wide yet short aircraft).
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
It's been several years since I booked a J award and, as expected, all the tricks have changed. I tried searching above, but can't seem to find how do you find availability on other airlines that don't pop up under delta.dumb.

Specifically, I'm looking at connecting to PRG via Czech airlines or MAD via Air Europe from London. However, delta only brings up Air France/KLM options.

Appreciate someone bringing me up to speed.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by kuhlguy
It's been several years since I booked a J award and, as expected, all the tricks have changed. I tried searching above, but can't seem to find how do you find availability on other airlines that don't pop up under delta.dumb.

Specifically, I'm looking at connecting to PRG via Czech airlines or MAD via Air Europe from London. However, delta only brings up Air France/KLM options.

Appreciate someone bringing me up to speed.
I know you must call to book Air Europa and not sure if Czech is available on dl.com either?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Has anybody booked a Premium Select seat on VA Flying Club? I'm wondering if they are getting an accurate feed - or how they code the awards. I tried searching for Premium and Upper Class but no inventory seems to be available NRT>ATL.

It's fine because I'm already booked in economy using the same engine - but wanted to upgrade if inventory came online.

Any other tips?
the
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:42 am

Do KE awards show up on Delta.com?

I assume not, however can someone tell me the lowest amount of miles it takes for a business class from US to SE asia if available?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.