Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What Companion booking site are you talking about?
The one on the delta.com website. The one you reach after you go to your Skymiles account, click on your e-certificates, then click on your companion certificate.

That will take you to a special booking page that makes it possible to book your flight for your certificate.

Hope that is clear enough.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skymiles redemptions are considered zero fare tickets and are exempt most domestic taxes except TSA fee. Companion cert tickets are not.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:26 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Hi everyone...I have used my AMEX companion pass successfully 3 times in the past years however this year I am starting to get anxious! My annual fee will post on my next statement and the American Express reps have told me multiple times that once the fee posts, the companion certificate will be "deposited" into my account. I am worried that my flights will no longer be available AND it wouldn't even be the end of the world if I had to use miles to purchase the tickets (there is no shortage of those). Assuming that there are at least 2 seats on each flight, in the fare classes show on the photo below, there will be no problem finding seats right? Last year, there were different results when I did a search on Delta.com vs. going through the companion certificate so that is my main concern (taking the red-eye home is extremely crucial). Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by robert4travels

The one on the delta.com website. The one you reach after you go to your Skymiles account, click on your e-certificates, then click on your companion certificate.

That will take you to a special booking page that makes it possible to book your flight for your certificate.

Hope that is clear enough.
Ok It's not a special web page it's just Delta.com and you selected your companion pass.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Hi everyone...I have used my AMEX companion pass successfully 3 times in the past years however this year I am starting to get anxious! My annual fee will post on my next statement and the American Express reps have told me multiple times that once the fee posts, the companion certificate will be "deposited" into my account. I am worried that my flights will no longer be available AND it wouldn't even be the end of the world if I had to use miles to purchase the tickets (there is no shortage of those). Assuming that there are at least 2 seats on each flight, in the fare classes show on the photo below, there will be no problem finding seats right? Last year, there were different results when I did a search on Delta.com vs. going through the companion certificate so that is my main concern (taking the red-eye home is extremely crucial). Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.
So my experience, and several other people on this topic, is that if the flight you want is not shown on the companion booking page, but you can find the flight you want when you do a dummy regular booking (for money), for the fare classes that you can book a companion ticket for (L class and lower, I think it's LUTV fare classes), then you can call Delta reservations, and they can connect you with the companion ticket help desk who then can book the flight for you. This worked for me.

It's anybody's guess if the fare classes you need are still available next month when your companion certificate drops, and if the price holds, but given that the flights you want are 3-4 months out and not in a holiday weekend, at least the fare classes that you can book a companion ticket for should still be available.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Ok It's not a special web page it's just Delta.com and you selected your companion pass.
Yes! You word it better than me.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:50 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by robert4travels
So my experience, and several other people on this topic, is that if the flight you want is not shown on the companion booking page, but you can find the flight you want when you do a dummy regular booking (for money), for the fare classes that you can book a companion ticket for (L class and lower, I think it's LUTV fare classes), then you can call Delta reservations, and they can connect you with the companion ticket help desk who then can book the flight for you. This worked for me.

It's anybody's guess if the fare classes you need are still available next month when your companion certificate drops, and if the price holds, but given that the flights you want are 3-4 months out and not in a holiday weekend, at least the fare classes that you can book a companion ticket for should still be available.
Ok, that is good to hear. I will wait a few more weeks and if the certificate hasn't posted, I will go ahead and use my points...it seems quite reasonable right now.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Unfortunately as of a few years ago, you cannot route to Australia via Asia (it's outright silly, even from HNL you have to backtrack to LAX 6+ hours and then fly over HNL back again and can't go the more direct way via TPE, ICN, NRT, KIX, NGO, FUK, PVG, etc.). So, what you are trying to do is not valid routing on a through fare. It has to be broken up, so if you want it, you need to book it as a broken fare, or if that doesn't work then as two separate tickets. Sorry.. but you can't route to South Pacific via Asia anymore.

Alternatively, book your award to SIN, KUL, CGK, DPS or some such nearby location (through fare). Then book an LCC from there to SYD; those flights are cheap.
As recently at Feb 2018 I booked awards US via Asia to Australia. KE SEA-ICN-BNE, 55k in Y, 115k in J. I have done it multiple times with mutiple DL + partner conbinations the past several years.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:31 am

My battle at the moment is combining VS and AF on awards. That used to be easy, now I am hitting a block online and on the phone (Diamond line). What is the latest? Specific routing I want is SEA-LHR-CDG-CAI. With married segments it shows as SEA-LHR and LHR-CDG-CAI both pricing 50k in Y, just cannot combine them. I am HUCA-ing.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
My battle at the moment is combining VS and AF on awards. That used to be easy, now I am hitting a block online and on the phone (Diamond line). What is the latest? Specific routing I want is SEA-LHR-CDG-CAI. With married segments it shows as SEA-LHR and LHR-CDG-CAI both pricing 50k in Y, just cannot combine them. I am HUCA-ing.

Yeah online strangely blocks a lot of these partner to partner routings. It is really weird. Did you end up finding an agent that could do it?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
Yeah online strangely blocks a lot of these partner to partner routings. It is really weird. Did you end up finding an agent that could do it?
Not strangely but clearly intentionally by design (same for when it wrongly prices as additive fare).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Mods, if there’s a better place for this question to go please move it there...

Booked a Delta Vacation for October, XXX-DTW-AMS-HER, return is the reverse. XXX-DTW-AMS are KL flights operated by DL with a Z fare class, Business/First/Delta One. AMS-HER is KL operated by Transavia with a Y fare class. Ticket stock is 006. Will I earn MQM/S/Ds for these segments? If not, am I able to reroute to be on DL flights also on DL metal?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by tvtd
Will I earn MQM/S/Ds for these segments? If not, am I able to reroute to be on DL flights also on DL metal?
This is definitely the wrong thread, as it is about spending miles.

But to answer your question: You will not receive any miles for the Transavia segments unless they have been booked with a DL flight number. Many Transavia destinations do not have DL numbers available. Even the ones that do it's not available on every day of the week or both directions. I couldn't find any rhyme or reason to it. The KL-operated flights will be fine.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any chance at all of getting a non-stop SGN-NRT award ticket on Vietnam Airlines? All the results I've gotten online on DL are one-stops, resulting in much longer trips.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC

Multiple attempts I finally got an agent who managed to piece it together. The call took 2 hours. Most agents, and again this is the Diamond line, just gave up at saying they couldn't see the VS segments at all in economy, though they were online and I proved my point by ticketing VS on the phone while they were saying they weren't available. Amazing that I got the correct mileage of 85,000 round-trip SEA-CAI...except they then added $728 taxes and fees. I had them ticket it for the ridiculousness of it. Will give another try to get it corrected, then will redeposit. Even if ticketing SEA-LHR and LHR-CGD-CAI, separately so that all the DL EU-origin junk charges are inncluded, couldn't get within $200 of that amount. Receipt shows $510 of YQ. Best I can total, they are collecting YQ as if all separate revenue tickets. Multiple back and forth with the rate desk wouldn't get them to budge.

I had a UA 1K friend then ticket me within two minutes for appropriate miles and taxes and fees. This trip is critical to be flexible to the last minute or I wouldn't push DL so hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.