Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The cert must be fully paid with an Amex card. It even says in the T&Cs that it is not eligible with other forms of payment.
The certificate cannot be combined with another offer or discount including, but not limited to, web fares, sale fares and eCoupons.
Primary Ticket and Companion ticket must be purchased with your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
Correct.

It's part of the new Upsell tool agents have.

Companion Certs weren't initially eligible for this from what I hear, but things got worked out with Amex.

Tickets issued in the past may need to be reissued for the Upsell to work.
Just thought about this more....this really makes it so that there is no real value in having the Reserve card, right? This effectively turns the plat cert into a reserve cert, but you'd just need to call in after booking to upgrade, right?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Just thought about this more....this really makes it so that there is no real value in having the Reserve card, right? This effectively turns the plat cert into a reserve cert, but you'd just need to call in after booking to upgrade, right?
Besides for the additional MQMs you can earn, if you can buy the upgrade with the platinum, you would be paying for two upgrades while theoretically you are paying for one upgrade with the reserve certificate.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Besides for the additional MQMs you can earn, if you can buy the upgrade with the platinum, you would be paying for two upgrades while theoretically you are paying for one upgrade with the reserve certificate.
Oh good point. So you're getting a discount in the amount of one coach ticket off the price of two first class tickets. Still a pretty good deal, and you did not spend $450 on the reserve card, only $195 for the plat, so that $255 savings needs to be accounted for as well.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:32 pm

Oh good point. So you're getting a discount in the amount of one coach ticket off the price of two first class tickets. Still a pretty good deal, and you did not spend $450 on the reserve card, only $195 for the plat, so that $255 savings needs to be accounted for as well.
I'd have to run the numbers as I'd say it would vary/depend on the flight. I wish Amex had the $300 travel credit like Chase did. Then it's only like $150 for the fee which would seal it for me.

Anyway, it's good to note that you can now pay the fare difference per person for upgrading. Too bad my ticket to EYW was $571 and FC is $1,146. $1150 is a lot of change to upgrade. (fare difference per person). Eh, maybe I'll luck out and get an OLCI for one segment that'll be reasonable.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik
I'd have to run the numbers as I'd say it would vary/depend on the flight. I wish Amex had the $300 travel credit like Chase did. Then it's only like $150 for the fee which would seal it for me.
two points:

1) Amex plat is now $550 annual fee

2) they added $200 in annual Uber credits, in addition to the $200 travel credit. So that leaves $150 per year, not taking into account any of the value you get from all of the benefits (lounge access, elite status and associated upgrades in various car and hotel programs, fine hotels & resorts, etc).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
two points:

1) Amex plat is now $550 annual fee

2) they added $200 in annual Uber credits, in addition to the $200 travel credit. So that leaves $150 per year, not taking into account any of the value you get from all of the benefits (lounge access, elite status and associated upgrades in various car and hotel programs, fine hotels & resorts, etc).
OK, but now you are getting away from discussing the amex companion certificates which is the topic and which confuses the issues.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Plus the SkyClub access.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
The cert must be fully paid with an Amex card. It even says in the T&Cs that it is not eligible with other forms of payment.
I saw that-just curious if anyone had gotten a very friendly agent.

Yes, I'm trying to be cheap
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:27 pm

OK, but now you are getting away from discussing the amex companion certificates which is the topic and which confuses the issues.
Not really, this is related to the various benefits associated with credit cards. The thread is broadly about whether or not the companion certs work, which points directly to whether or not the card is worth the fee. I'm simply discussing the benefits of the other amex card that lots of DL flyers have and use in conjunction with or instead of the amex delta plat, and other cards and their associated fees and benefits need to be a part of any useful conversation about this topic. In truth, your moderating comment is more OT than mine.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I'm sure I have mentioned it ITT before but I hold both the DL Plat and DL Reserve and find great value in them. For me the MQM Boosts, companion certs, and skyclub access seal the deal. I also have Mrs. JayTeaBee on my Reserve for a $175 fee which provides her Skyclub access as well. I was close to cancelling my Plat and getting another Reserve but ultimately decided to stand pat after the recent changes and upgrade potential using the Plat cert.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:12 pm

I'm trying to book an award with Skymiles for the first time from NYC-FCO and the one-way cost in business class is 137,000. Is this correct? I'm confused because I read on several blogs that the one-way price from North America to Europe is 70,000 in business class.

Take pity on a SkyMiles newb and help me understand this seemingly opaque and confusing program.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well finally got the itin to work. 35K each way, however the Africa-US had some painful taxes and fees (think YQ). Here's what I got:

EBB-KQ-NBO-KQ-LHR-DL-JFK-DL-IND

DFW-DL-ATL-AMS-KL-KGL-KL-EBB

I guess in today's day and age getting this for 35K OW isn't a bad deal. Even the DM agent called it a "steal". Would have preferred to have less segments but not a lot of options out of EBB to the US.

I guess I still just refuse to overpay for a ST itin, good thing partners are still at a standard level.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by giblet
I'm trying to book an award with Skymiles for the first time from NYC-FCO and the one-way cost in business class is 137,000. Is this correct? I'm confused because I read on several blogs that the one-way price from North America to Europe is 70,000 in business class.

Take pity on a SkyMiles newb and help me understand this seemingly opaque and confusing program.
Good choice of words.

Delta does not publish an award chart anymore, but 70k miles for business class is the current standard "low-level" award you will find for USA<->Europe. This means the cheapest price you will pay is 70k miles.

Delta has dynamic award pricing now that fluctuates based on demand (and seemingly, corresponding ticket prices). In order to find 70k awards you will probably need to be flexible on dates.

So, the 137k price you are seeing is "correct" given the new ballgame.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by bj27
Good choice of words.

Delta does not publish an award chart anymore, but 70k miles for business class is the current standard "low-level" award you will find for USA<->Europe. This means the cheapest price you will pay is 70k miles.

Delta has dynamic award pricing now that fluctuates based on demand (and seemingly, corresponding ticket prices). In order to find 70k awards you will probably need to be flexible on dates.

So, the 137k price you are seeing is "correct" given the new ballgame.
Thanks very much. I spent more time than I should have trying to understand the program and it seems like it's not worth the effort just to transfer Amex points. Too complicated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.