Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The only useful dept when dealing with the amex cert is the #4 item you mentioned... promotions dept and manual issue desk. The several times I've had problems trying to use my Amex certs (either website errors out when trying to purchase, or flights change every time I search) they've always been able to see what I was talking about and get it to work correctly and at the proper pricing.

Online support is 100% useless, as usually you're just talking with someone like "Peggy" at an outsourced location... and even if you're not they don't take the time to try to figure out whats wrong... just 'It doesn't show up here, there is nothing I can do' and 'no I don't know why' etc.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and has any insight.

Suppose I have 2 Amex Delta Platinum cards. One has given me a companion certificate. The other is newer and not yet a year old.

My question:
1) If I were to cancel my older card and then later try to book with the certificate with my new card, would everything work out ok?
2) If I were to book with my certificate on the older card first, then cancel it, would everything work out ok? I suspect others have been here.

I don't need two cards anymore so I'd like to cancel the older one. I also don't have immediate travel plans where it looks useful but I'm sure I will this year.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Dl Companion Ticket

Originally Posted by dontflydeltawithamex
I have a Platinum Delta Skymiles with AMEX card that "gives" a companion certificate annually as a benefit. This year I wanted to use that companion certificate to take my family out to Colorado to go skiing in February. I checked Delta on-line to purchase 4 tickets using FF skymiles and then tried to book 2 more tickets using the companion certificate. When I attempted to book the ticket I was told that the flight was not available in the Fare class requested. However, when I tried to book the ticket and "pay with miles" using the AMEX card and FF miles the flight was available. I checked the terms and conditions of the certificate and it states that all travel must be in the U or L class of service - which this ticket was doing. Well, an unwritten stipulation is that all legs of the trip must be in the U or L class of service even though the terms and conditions of the certificate do not state this. Moral of the story is this - don't buy the AMEX Delta skymiles card if you think you'll be able to use the companion certificate as a benefit. To make matters worse - I called Delta to file a complaint and they told me it was due to AMEX terms. So, I called and emailed AMEX - they in turn told me the certificate was the property of Delta. So much for companies being accountable for the products they sell. Once I use all my FF miles with Delta I will move my business to AmericanAirlines and never fly Delta again. I will also tear up my AMEX! Shame on you AMEX and Delta!!!
I have had no problem at all with using them for a decade. The fare class to be used is clearly noted.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Plat
I just realized I have a companion cert that expires at the end of the month (travel by 1/31/12). How easy is it to transfer it to someone else? Anyone want it?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
I have had no problem at all with using them for a decade. The fare class to be used is clearly noted.
I'm curious, I just bumped up to the Delta Reserve card this year.

What fare class is the "first class" companion certificate that is issued for Reserve?

Last year used 2 companion certs from Delta Plat online, but it took some trial and error each time to find booking that worked. I was doing SMF-hub-CLT round trip and yes it's sometimes hard to find a round trip that has the same fare class. The fares that worked was SMF-ATL-CLT one way, and CLT-MSP-SMF the other, at less trafficked hours on Tuesdays. I suspect if you are doing simple hub-hub fare like ATL-LAX or something it would be easier.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Jan 25, 2012 at 10:27 am
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by luckee37
I just realized I have a companion cert that expires at the end of the month (travel by 1/31/12). How easy is it to transfer it to someone else? Anyone want it?
Yes. T&C says under elegibility:

" Companion tickets are not transferable. "

But then later says:

"Transferability:
The Companion Certificate is transferable. Primary ticket and Companion ticket are not transferable once issued. Companion Certificate may not be bartered or sold. Companion Certificates or Companion tickets acquired through prohibited sale/barter transactions are void and will not be honored for travel. "

I wish I had known this myself, about 3 years back I had a companion certificate I wasn't going to use and I just let it expire. Oh well.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Jan 25, 2012 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
I'm curious, I just bumped up to the Delta Reserve card this year.

What fare class is the "first class" companion certificate that is issued for Reserve?

I've always been able to use the companion certs from Delta Plat online, but it took me some trial and error to find a booking that worked. I was doing SMF-ATL-CLT round trip and yes it's sometimes hard to find a round trip that has the same fare class. I suspect if you are doing simple hub-hub fare like ATL-LAX or something it would be easier.
I believe they book into A class
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:13 am

Sorry, T&C says:

" Companion tickets are not transferable. "
They are not transferable but you can use them for other people cant you? In other words, you have to buy it but I think others can fly....
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Denal1
They are not transferable but you can use them for other people cant you? In other words, you have to buy it but I think others can fly....
TICKETS are not transferrable. But the CERTIFICATE is. I'm sure someone will volunteer to try and claim it, and be willing to wade through the Delta phone system to make it happen.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:33 am

TICKETS are not transferrable. But the CERTIFICATE is. I'm sure someone will volunteer to try and claim it, and be willing to wade through the Delta phone system to make it happen.
I thought the cert was associated with your credit card.....
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
These companion tickets are essentially worthless. They are certainly not a reason to get the Reserve.

Supposedly Reserve gives you upgrade advantage, and I used to think so, since I had a high %. Lately very low %, don't see how it is helping me. Being 9 of 40 on the list instead of 14 of 40 on the list is not much difference! Last week I was #9 on a K fare...had a DM sitting next to me in Y. Hmm.....

That leaves SC and MQM's. I had so many rollover I don't really need MQM's.

That leaves SC....and we all know what is going on there. Time to bail on Reserve? Not sure $450 is worth it when you can burn miles for SC or pay $300.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
These companion tickets are essentially worthless. They are certainly not a reason to get the Reserve.

Supposedly Reserve gives you upgrade advantage, and I used to think so, since I had a high %. Lately very low %, don't see how it is helping me.
For you, perhaps. I use my companion certs every year to save $400+ I'd be paying for flights otherwise. Though the Reserve tiebreaker isn't too useful when you are far down the list, it can be extremely useful when you are high on the list. As a DM, I'm almost never on a list - I clear before my flights. But my family members have, on several occasions, won the tie-breaker specifically because they hold a Reserve card.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by mooper
For you, perhaps. I use my companion certs every year to save $400+ I'd be paying for flights otherwise. Though the Reserve tiebreaker isn't too useful when you are far down the list, it can be extremely useful when you are high on the list. As a DM, I'm almost never on a list - I clear before my flights. But my family members have, on several occasions, won the tie-breaker specifically because they hold a Reserve card.
Then you are more fortunate than me, it is not just an "A" fare, it's a "special" A fare that when I try to use mine, it saved maybe $150 versus two regular A fares, so for wife to lose the MQM's it wasn't worth it. I have let 3 of these expire because I couldn't use them (and tried).

As far as the upgrade list, I found the card to be totally useless when I was in the back as a DM on a B fare LGA-MSP the one time I thought it should have made the difference. still was #2 on the ug list.

The only value I see is the MQM's. I see myself cancelling the card after this year if I maintain DM again.

Now if it worked:
DM B Reserve
DM M Reserve
DM Q Reserve
DM B
DM M
DM Q

etdcc then it would matter, the fact that you only go ahead off others on the same fare class makes it useless.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Then you are more fortunate than me, it is not just an "A" fare, it's a "special" A fare that when I try to use mine, it saved maybe $150 versus two regular A fares, so for wife to lose the MQM's it wasn't worth it. I have let 3 of these expire because I couldn't use them (and tried).
Trade 'em on coupon connection to someone who can make use of them. I haven't been so much fortunate, as purposeful with my redemptions. I've used them for two-hop RJ itineraries that include a smaller market. Even the qualifying fares still tend to run $350-$450. I lose the miles for my companion, but saving the ~$400 is worth it, and upgrades aren't an issue on the RJs.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Denal1
I thought the cert was associated with your credit card.....
You can use the certificate and book both the paying ticket and companion for 2 different travelers. I believe you must pay with your AMEX card.

I bought my wife and her Dad tickets using my companion certificate.

And contrary to a lot of what's been in this thread, I found it simple to find low fare class and use the certificate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.