Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by tikiboy
You can use the certificate and book both the paying ticket and companion for 2 different travelers. I believe you must pay with your AMEX card.

I bought my wife and her Dad tickets using my companion certificate.

And contrary to a lot of what's been in this thread, I found it simple to find low fare class and use the certificate.
i had no idea this was possible... oh all the companion certs i've let expire - the agony!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by decibel08
i had no idea this was possible... oh all the companion certs i've let expire - the agony!
I had one expire last year when I waited too long to try and fly my parents for a visit.
I think using them for other (non-status) family members is a good way to use these since they don't qualify for upgrades anyway.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mooper
Trade 'em on coupon connection to someone who can make use of them. I haven't been so much fortunate, as purposeful with my redemptions. I've used them for two-hop RJ itineraries that include a smaller market. Even the qualifying fares still tend to run $350-$450. I lose the miles for my companion, but saving the ~$400 is worth it, and upgrades aren't an issue on the RJs.
Originally Posted by Denal1
I thought the cert was associated with your credit card.....
Uh me too. In fact, you have to book electronically via DL.com when you are logged in to access your cert, I don't think there is another way to book and/or transfer. Thus CC is no good.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Then you are more fortunate than me, it is not just an "A" fare, it's a "special" A fare that when I try to use mine, it saved maybe $150 versus two regular A fares, so for wife to lose the MQM's it wasn't worth it....
Ditto. Same experience here -- over and over again.

Bruce
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
While I know the OP had the DL Plat Amex, I just wanted to chime in regarding the DL Reserve Cert. I just used mine last week, A fare DCA-LAS. Worked like a charm. The Reserve Cert is a little less restrictive than the others. It was very easy to use. Log in, select the cert and then begin searching for flights. It showed me only flights that my Cert would work on.

This is the second one of these I've used and I've never run into problems.
Trying to use my Reserve Cert and while I can see the A fares available on ITA they are not available when booking on the Delta site for similar pricing. Spent some time with Peggy who kept checking with her supervisor but was unable to get it sorted out. I am looking at an itinerary that is just inside a 90 day window so maybe the timing is messing with me. I'll try some more later when Friday night happy hour isn't a factor on this end and I can get screenshots of my experience.

After editing my travel window to leave a day earlier I was able to bag the SEA-BNA Mother's Day trip for just over 800 in FC. Seems reasonable to me and easier to work with than the current fiasco known as Award Ticket Reservations.

Last edited by unweird; Feb 16, 2012 at 9:25 pm Reason: further efforts results
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
We've explained this already. Delta has multiple A fares, and only certain A fares are eligible for use with the companion certificate. This is a very big problem. I can cite countless examples where the sum of two "regular" A fares is only a few dollars more than the sum of one "certificate-eligible" A fare plus the taxes on the companion ticket. Thus, the certificate is providing very little value, certainly far less than what a customer could expect based on the terms and conditions.

Bruce
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Thus, the certificate is providing very little value, certainly far less than what a customer could expect based on the terms and conditions.
If you seek that specific use and are affected, then sure. However, many other uses can provide immense value. I tend to use them for RJ-heavy domestic routes and small markets, and with ease I've saved ~$400/year using them. Not everyone has the same needs and interests, but you certainly can't paint them as having no value broadly.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:42 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by tthousand66
Seriously, this companion thing is the worst, most misleading promotion of all time. No restrictions or blackouts, (yet there ARE), NO flights available 6 -8 weeks out from SEA to DTW (I can't imagine there is a mid DEC to mid JAN rush on people wanting to be in beautiful resort city of DETROIT) and even with massive flexibility, "I'm sorry, there are no flights in the classes L, U, or T available for any of those dates). This happened last year when I paid $988 each for 2 tickets and NOT ABLE to use companion fare because all seats in those classes were GONE. How many are available per flight, if even all flights? 1? 2? They won't tell you that, but I CAN tell you this. Last DEC when they had "No flights in that class" we counted 13 EMPTY Seats, all in the middle from front to back of plane (certainly the worst seats) and DELTA was fine with letting those seats go unsold, rather than to provide them for companion fares. It's a huge scam and much in this string seems like Delta Sky Miles "online reputation team" is just answering as if there is no problem. It's a BIG problem and I'm ready to go to BBB and FTC with this one for a class action lawsuit. BEWARE of the Delta Sky Miles AMEX card.
welcome to FT!
Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
Did you open this new FT account just to slam AMEX? Are you a regular FT member with another screen name? If so, doesn’t seem right to hide behind a one-time-use name to slam a product…and to do so (at least IMO) unfairly.
The terms and conditions for these certificates are pretty straightforward. Using them may take some effort, but many posters here on FT have used them quite successfully.
+1
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Another one-shot wonder with a complaint?
This thread seems to bring them out of the woodwork all right.

Anybody having trouble using them PM me and I will use them for my next few family trips. Thanks. They have real value, if used right.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I'm finding these companion certificates to be extremely valuable. They're great for booking travel with or for those who don't care about MQMs.

I just booked tickets using two.

1) DTW-PDX. Primary ticket was $360 and companion ticket $100 + $40 taxes. Total savings = $220

2) DTW-PDX. Primary ticket $360 and companion ticket $0 + $40 taxes. Total savings = $320.

I might even have the GF and myself get more DL Amex cards. She's a non-status flyer, and we never fly on anything higher than a LUT fare, so these make perfect sense for us. I get miles as the primary and she flies as the companion. Upgrades don't matter because I never get upgraded with her on my PNRs anyways.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by vxmike
I'm finding these companion certificates to be extremely valuable. They're great for booking travel with or for those who don't care about MQMs.

I just booked tickets using two.

1) DTW-PDX. Primary ticket was $360 and companion ticket $100 + $40 taxes. Total savings = $220

2) DTW-PDX. Primary ticket $360 and companion ticket $0 + $40 taxes. Total savings = $320.

I might even have the GF and myself get more DL Amex cards. She's a non-status flyer, and we never fly on anything higher than a LUT fare, so these make perfect sense for us. I get miles as the primary and she flies as the companion. Upgrades don't matter because I never get upgraded with her on my PNRs anyways.
Very good example of an optimal way to use them. I employ essentially the same reasoning, though I tend to save ~$400. I view such redemptions as paying for the card fee, everything after that being icing.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For the A fares, it seems that a lot of the time, the system is pulling the "refundable" pricing for a coach ticket and then making that the A fare price... for all of those who keep having problems with the Reserve companion A cert, keep writing and complaining to both Amex and Delta.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vxmike
...1) DTW-PDX. Primary ticket was $360 and companion ticket $100 + $40 taxes. Total savings = $220....
Are we talking about the same certificate? The companion ticket should be $0 fare plus taxes. Why did you pay $100 plus taxes? That must be a different deal.

Bruce
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you seek that specific use and are affected, then sure. However, many other uses can provide immense value. I tend to use them for RJ-heavy domestic routes and small markets, and with ease I've saved ~$400/year using them. Not everyone has the same needs and interests, but you certainly can't paint them as having no value broadly.
I managed to use my companion certificate for a coach ticket and saved a couple hundred dollars. I'm not going to complain about that. But I have never successfully found a first-class companion fare that resulted in any significant savings, on any route, any time. That aspect of the offer is a scam, in my opinion.

Bruce
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:33 am

Very good example of an optimal way to use them. I employ essentially the same reasoning, though I tend to save ~$400. I view such redemptions as paying for the card fee, everything after that being icing.
+1. I saved $500 this year on a companion coach ticket, paying only the $50 tax. That pays for the card, and the other card benefits are pretty nice, too!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I managed to use my companion certificate for a coach ticket and saved a couple hundred dollars. I'm not going to complain about that. But I have never successfully found a first-class companion fare that resulted in any significant savings, on any route, any time. That aspect of the offer is a scam, in my opinion.

Bruce
I booked BWI-LAS in April and was able to find A fares to use my cert with. It was actually quite surprised how easy it was. At the time I was looking the RT coach ticket was about $490/ea and the A fare for first was right around $1000. I ended up getting (2) first class tickets for about $100 more than coach. That's pretty good. Plus I'll earn the 1.5 MQM bonus on my ticket.

DL.com didn't seem to restrict which fares I chose. Also, after I booked one of my flights changes significantly. When I called the PM desk they were able to change my flights without any problem and re-issue my tickets. If the certs are very restricted I have not experienced that issue yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.