Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Upgrading to C+ would require upgrading to a W fare. The companion cert is only good for LUTXV fares, so it would not be permitted. As mentioned above, if you have status, you are now eligible for comp upgrades to C+ on companion certs at the appropriate Medallion window.
I thought since the change that PAID upgrades are available (there was some talk about if how to calculate the cost from coach to First, and I thought some others had posted they had called and it can be done--albeit at a steep cost, IMO).
Old May 17, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by hurnik
I thought since the change that PAID upgrades are available (there was some talk about if how to calculate the cost from coach to First, and I thought some others had posted they had called and it can be done--albeit at a steep cost, IMO).
Yes, Widgets had posted in another thread that paid UGs were possible, but required a call-in. His (her?) statement was that the upfare would be calculated as-if the companion had already paid the same fare as the primary passenger.

So if primary fare is $300 and companion fare is $0, and current FCM fare is $399, the total due to upgrade both pax would be $198. That's my understanding from the other thread, not from personal experience.

Though with OP's flights being at W1/W0, I would expect the buy-up price to be prohibitive at this point.

Those flights are on an M88 for the 2.5 hr flights, and a 737 for the 2.0 hr flights. Unless OP and companion seriously need the very slight extra legroom, I'd suggest just staying in Main Cabin for this trip, especially if you can get seats on the 2-seat side for the M88 legs. Even if you buy a few drinks on board, you'll likely come out ahead of the C+ upgrade cost.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Yes, Widgets had posted in another thread that paid UGs were possible, but required a call-in. His (her?) statement was that the upfare would be calculated as-if the companion had already paid the same fare as the primary passenger.

So if primary fare is $300 and companion fare is $0, and current FCM fare is $399, the total due to upgrade both pax would be $198. That's my understanding from the other thread, not from personal experience.

Though with OP's flights being at W1/W0, I would expect the buy-up price to be prohibitive at this point.

Those flights are on an M88 for the 2.5 hr flights, and a 737 for the 2.0 hr flights. Unless OP and companion seriously need the very slight extra legroom, I'd suggest just staying in Main Cabin for this trip, especially if you can get seats on the 2-seat side for the M88 legs. Even if you buy a few drinks on board, you'll likely come out ahead of the C+ upgrade cost.
Yeah, that's why I was asking if they were priced/segment or the entire flight. Odds are they'll do it for the entire flight which (right now) is atrocious, IMO.

Eh, I can always hope for an OLCI for something reasonable, but if not, the MD-88 are sufficient, it was more for the 737, but given that it's full even in C+, we'll survive. Heck, I've done the ALB to Las Vegas on southwest once (never again though). at least this is broken into shorter flights.

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you had a ticket booked prior to the change it should be updated automatically with applicable upgrade requests. But its still good practice to go in and verify that it is selected.

Correct I heard that you can pay to upfare on the tickets now, but you'd have to call to inquire about cost.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by hurnik
Yeah, that's why I was asking if they were priced/segment or the entire flight. Odds are they'll do it for the entire flight which (right now) is atrocious, IMO.

Eh, I can always hope for an OLCI for something reasonable, but if not, the MD-88 are sufficient, it was more for the 737, but given that it's full even in C+, we'll survive. Heck, I've done the ALB to Las Vegas on southwest once (never again though). at least this is broken into shorter flights.

Thanks!
No odds about it - the upfare will be for the entire routing in one direction (assuming you have not booked a broken fare).

The issue is that C+ is no longer sold as a seat assignment, one leg at a time. It's sold as an entirely separate fare, so you wouldn't be paying for a seat assignment, you would be paying to reticket your trip in another "class" of service.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Just locked in a multiple cabin award from OMA-MSP-LHR-DXB for 85,000 plus $46.30 in taxes and fees. MSP-LHR is D1 on their 767 and LHR-DXB is VS Upper Class on their A330. Considering I paid over $600 in surcharges on my last VS award I'd say this isn't a half bad deal.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
Just locked in a multiple cabin award from OMA-MSP-LHR-DXB for 85,000 plus $46.30 in taxes and fees. MSP-LHR is D1 on their 767 and LHR-DXB is VS Upper Class on their A330. Considering I paid over $600 in surcharges on my last VS award I'd say this isn't a half bad deal.
FYI the VS A330 UC hard product is considered awful. They packed them in, and what a worse there's no privacy. The seats have dividers between them, but they're see-through.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
FYI the VS A330 UC hard product is considered awful. They packed them in, and what a worse there's no privacy. The seats have dividers between them, but they're see-through.
I've flown it, and it's not great but it beats the heck out of the back of the bus. Is LHR-DXB a daytime flight? If so, I really don't think it's that bad. I usually spend daytime flights (such as westbound EU-US flights which is when I flew the VS A330) enjoying the food and watching movies. I did catch a nap on that flight as well. There's also a bar to hang out at if you want. Most importantly, you get access to the LHR Clubhouse.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've actually flown it before from ORD-LHR and it wasn't that bad. There's definitely no privacy, but I do enjoy the atmosphere and service on VS.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I've flown it, and it's not great but it beats the heck out of the back of the bus. Is LHR-DXB a daytime flight? If so, I really don't think it's that bad. I usually spend daytime flights (such as westbound EU-US flights which is when I flew the VS A330) enjoying the food and watching movies. I did catch a nap on that flight as well. There's also a bar to hang out at if you want. Most importantly, you get access to the LHR Clubhouse.
WAY better than being at the back! It actually departs at 10:25 pm so it's overnight. I'll get to spend eight quality hours at the LHR Clubhouse though!
Old May 23, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG, HH
I need to book 2 tickets roundtrip CDG-FCO in October. However the delta search gives a lot of AZ flights, and due to recent AZ news I would rather book with AF... but there is little AF availability for the times I need.

Should I be worried about booking with AZ for a flight in October timeframe??
Old May 25, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Question for the braintrust here..

Trying to book a flight one-way from FCO-SEA on KLM. I've verified with a Delta rep that there's mileage upgrade availability, but the agent said that I could only do that on Delta marketed and operated flights. The flight I was looking at was marketed by KLM, but operated by Delta.

This doesn't sound right to me... Is the agent blowing smoke?
Old May 26, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Trying to piece together an itin on DL metal and partners from DEN-MLE.

Found:

DEN-LAX-PVG on DL metal in R/O class for 80k

PVG-MLE on MU O class for 70K.

What do I need to do to not have additive pricing? I can find availability so my layover is less than 24 hrs in PVG (and less than 4 in LAX) but alas no single revenue fare class exists.

When using DL.dumb cheapest I can get is 120K. Called DM line and they tried but could only get 150K. Said impossible. I feel like in the past I could get someone from ST line and they would magically make it happen. I suppose I'll just call again but any other recent tips and tricks?
Old May 27, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Trying to piece together an itin on DL metal and partners from DEN-MLE.

Found:

DEN-LAX-PVG on DL metal in R/O class for 80k

PVG-MLE on MU O class for 70K.

What do I need to do to not have additive pricing? I can find availability so my layover is less than 24 hrs in PVG (and less than 4 in LAX) but alas no single revenue fare class exists.

When using DL.dumb cheapest I can get is 120K. Called DM line and they tried but could only get 150K. Said impossible. I feel like in the past I could get someone from ST line and they would magically make it happen. I suppose I'll just call again but any other recent tips and tricks?
Did you tray LAX-PVG-MLE only? Are you sure the DL flights are all in normal R or O and not Rx and/or Ox (two letter fare code at a higher level)? It won't show until it tickets.. but if so, then it will be additive pricing.

Only sure way here would be to book LAX-PVG (or xxx-PVG) on MU and avoid DL flights. These days DL flights mixed with others will usually end up, one way or another, costing more.. so your only sure bet is (well, as sure as it gets) is to avoid flying DL.

That or something else like LAX-TPE-PVG-MLE (CI-MU) or LAX-CAN-PVG-MLE (CZ-MU) or LAX-ICN-PVG-MLE (KE-MU)... just avoid DL. Try it. Some such option may work.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Did you tray LAX-PVG-MLE only? Are you sure the DL flights are all in normal R or O and not Rx and/or Ox (two letter fare code at a higher level)? It won't show until it tickets.. but if so, then it will be additive pricing.

Only sure way here would be to book LAX-PVG (or xxx-PVG) on MU and avoid DL flights. These days DL flights mixed with others will usually end up, one way or another, costing more.. so your only sure bet is (well, as sure as it gets) is to avoid flying DL.

That or something else like LAX-TPE-PVG-MLE (CI-MU) or LAX-CAN-PVG-MLE (CZ-MU) or LAX-ICN-PVG-MLE (KE-MU)... just avoid DL. Try it. Some such option may work.
Good thoughts. Not trying to get to PVG, just to MLE. Though I'd rather have a sub 24 hr layover in PVG than CAN. I agree, mixing DL fights with partners seems to mess stuff up. Unfortunately with DL ditching routes on DL metal in APAC and also killing partners over the years (SQ/MH) options are limited with you seemingly having to go with CZ or MU. I don't mind CZ and MU's product is ok, I just hate MU YQ fees and also the difficulty in booking on MU with DL SM.

Sadly I have forgotten how mind numbing and infuriating booking DL awards with partners can be. Trying to book as well BKK-DEN (option 1: BKK-CZ-CAN-CZ-LAX-DL-DEN or option 2: BKK-FM-PEK-DL-SEA-DL-DEN). Availability exists in O class on CZ and FM legs but DL agents get sell denied. Used to this for sure on MU, but not on CZ. Still can't believe what a joke it is to book a ST itin compared to say *A or OW. I can easily go to UA's website and search partner awards and book it. With DL, DK.dumb cannot search for barely any partners, then when I call DL agents they tell me there is no seats on the one itin that shows up on their screen. I have to tell them what flights I want and of course they come back and say "there is no flights". So I have to deal with a crappy DL.dumb, horrible DL award engine/IT, and agents that insist I am wrong. Oh the joy.....

Last edited by mnredfox; May 30, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.