Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I have both! Flying to LAS today in F using my Reserve cert.
Nice! I have the Reserve and Mrs. ATOBTTR has the Delta Platinum AmEx so we do get two companion certs in a year. The downside is now that she has status too (she'll likely hit Platinum herself this year) she wants the MQMs for her companion cert rather than switching names so I get the MQMs even on her cert.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Booked no status wife a companion ticket RT PDX/SEA/BOI. Upgraded immediately to C+ and then to F on all 4 legs at the DM window.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
What happens if you cancel your CC before using your certificate? When I booked our trip to MCO, I wanted to use my Citi Prestige card to use the $200 travel credit, but it wouldn't let me, so after reading the terms of the certificate is says you must use a Delta Amex card to pay for it, so if you cancel your CC before using the certificate how are yo suppose to use it?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:16 pm

Would the Reserve companion certs be valid for Puerto Vallarta? Reason I ask is I didn't think PVR would have been eligible for upgrade to First but last year we were upgraded in both directions.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What happens if you cancel your CC before using your certificate? When I booked our trip to MCO, I wanted to use my Citi Prestige card to use the $200 travel credit, but it wouldn't let me, so after reading the terms of the certificate is says you must use a Delta Amex card to pay for it, so if you cancel your CC before using the certificate how are yo suppose to use it?
FWIW, "any" Amex card will work for payment - doesn't have to be the card that earned the cert.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by NoleATL
Would the Reserve companion certs be valid for Puerto Vallarta? Reason I ask is I didn't think PVR would have been eligible for upgrade to First but last year we were upgraded in both directions.
No. T&Cs:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

Companion Certificate is valid for one round-trip First-Class, Delta Comfort+® or Main Cabin companion ticket with the payment of applicable taxes and fees detailed below and the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States.
Certs are limited to US48 (with exceptions for HI and USVI residents). F upgrades are available on "short haul" international (that is, non-D1) routes.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by NoleATL
Have you read the rules BTW? The answer is no, per the eligibility.

Eligibility:
Eligible on Delta, Delta Connection carrier and Delta Shuttle flights only (excludes all other Delta-designated codeshare flights). Companion Certificate is valid for one round-trip First-Class, Delta Comfort+® or Main Cabin companion ticket with the payment of applicable taxes and fees detailed below and the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States. Residents of Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the United States Virgin Islands (USVI) must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States and have an address on their SkyMiles account in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the USVI. Each year, the Companion Certificate will be made available for redemption on delta.com in your renewal month. Companion ticket requires payment of applicable government imposed taxes and fees which vary and depend upon the number of flight segments included in the itinerary and are no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments). Reservations are only available at delta.com. Companion Certificate terms and conditions may vary each year of Card Membership. Additional restrictions apply.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: DL GM
Have a weird one that is part Companion Cert issue and part, making sure I dont accidentally screw over my companion.

Looking to do CHA-FCA over Thanksgiving using the Plat Companion Pass. Everything is all fine and dandy there. The issue is that we would be coming home on that Sunday (11/25), but I need to be in LAS that night.

I could go FCA-CHA with my companion, then go CHA-LAS. But that would kind of suck.

I was wondering what would happen if just simply didnt fly on the FCA-CHA leg and got a FCA-LAS-CHA ticket for myself. Could my companion still fly home if I didnt check in? Would I be doing anything to put me on Delta's bad side as well (like the hidden city stuff people do)?

Last edited by Comarm; Jul 7, 2017 at 6:45 am
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Comarm
Have a weird one that is part Companion Cert issue and part, making sure I dont accidentally screw over my companion.

Looking to do CHA-FCA over Thanksgiving using the Plat Companion Pass. Everything is all fine and dandy there. The issue is that we would be coming home on that Sunday (11/25), but I need to be in LAS that night.

I could go FCA-CHA with my companion, then go CHA-LAS. But that would kind of suck.

I was wondering what would happen if just simply didnt fly on the FCA-CHA leg and got a FCA-LAS-CHA ticket for myself. Could my companion still fly home if I didnt check in? Would I be doing anything to put me on Delta's bad side as well (like the hidden city stuff people do)?
Related recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nion-trip.html

One thing I don't think was discussed there is that you don't need to be the primary traveler -- so it *might* work to book the other traveler as the primary traveler and yourself as the companion, if you plan to skip the return leg (but then the other traveler gets the MQMs and MQDs if you care about that).

Still not sure it's something I'd gamble with though.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:31 am

I actually have only used this thing one other time but recently booked ATL to Bozeman Montana and back on it. No problems and we did get upgraded to Comfort + both ways.

Since the ticket was $800 it was a good value to use the companion fare! My companion would rather save money then collect miles
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by QDDawg
After failing to use my companion cert last year I was just able to book our trip WAS - RAP to go to Sturgis for Bike Week.

Originally was going to cost 50K miles each, but got the fare for $560 for the 2 of us.

Now if we can just get his bike there - ...
Aren't you suppose to ride your bike to Sturgis?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dzflyer
Successful every time and every year. Funny thread. Thread should read who hasn't been successful.
I think the people who complain about not being able to use their certificates are looking for an exact date of travel, now I'm wondering if certain markets have some restrictions, the last two years I've not had a problem using ours, now to get a really good deal, I had to change dates slightly, our trip to Key West, I moved our departure ahead 2 days and was able to keep our return the same, and was able to save an extra $103.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mnbp
FWIW, "any" Amex card will work for payment - doesn't have to be the card that earned the cert.
So I assume you are SOL if you do not have an Amex card.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Have you read the rules BTW? The answer is no, per the eligibility.
I'm assuming that the OP has not read the rules...
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I'm assuming that the OP has not read the rules...
I think you are safe using the word "assuming" this time.

There are a lot of things about DL and the program, etc. that are confusing and it seems like more changes than usual, so questions are understandable and I'm willing to help if I am knowledgeable, but sometimes it seems like people are lazy and don't want to read (like rules or threads) and sometimes it catches me the wrong way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.