Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:01 am

I'm thinking about takin this - IAH DTW/ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL/DTW IAH - DL- MR in Oct - Nov. And not being a Skyteam flyer to date.... need help.
Joined SQ FFP, UA, and AA FFP. I have UA - MR in Sept. - EWR-HKG-PEK credited to SQ FFP for mileage base. Wanting a SKyteam airline with FFP that is mileage based (Czech?) to join and stocking award miles for future flights. Am I close to making some sense here? or please, other advice to best utilize DL MR's bennies.

I would want to climb through the levels as miles climb. But main interest would accumulating award miles for future flights from these MR's. So dollar based FFP don't work so well. So was trying to gain info on which Skyteam member airline is best for mileage based rewards.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG, DL
The only check the website runs is fare class. So if the fare classes are available, you can use it. Sometimes the fare classes require minimum stays/Saturday stays, etc. But I've had no trouble using them for weekend trips or longer trips.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:29 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
So, I've been searching DL for a while now ex. GRU and have always seen great space on AR/GOL, recently I see NO space available at all, for any routes, started searching other routes, nothing. I searched random partner space like KE, CZ and nothing as well. I mentioned this to DL on twitter and they said I should call in. But has anyone else seen a decline in partner availability? So far the only route I tried that showed space was AMS-PAR. So I believe KLM/AF are displaying fine.

Edit - so I've been searching day by day and award space shows, when searching for partners using the flex search, the site returns no results.

Last edited by macdonaldj2; Jul 12, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by msp3
Question: Does the cert post at the same time as the AF? After the AF refund period has ended? If you live in Hawaii does that get around the exclusion?
The certificate posts on the card anniversary. This could be different than the AF date if you changed an existing card from a different product to the Delta-branded Plat/Reserve AMEX.

The Hawaii question is answered in the T&C:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

"Residents of Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the United States Virgin Islands (USVI) must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States and have an address on their SkyMiles account in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the USVI."
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:23 am

I'm pretty close to my yearly renewal date, which also matches when the certificate should post to me. Currently on the Delta Plat, but pondering the Delta Reserve. If I upgraded now before the next renewal cycle, would I end up getting the Reserve certificate come renewal time, or would they not give me anything for the year? Anyone know?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
So, I've been searching DL for a while now ex. GRU and have always seen great space on AR/GOL, recently I see NO space available at all, for any routes, started searching other routes, nothing. I searched random partner space like KE, CZ and nothing as well. I mentioned this to DL on twitter and they said I should call in. But has anyone else seen a decline in partner availability? So far the only route I tried that showed space was AMS-PAR. So I believe KLM/AF are displaying fine.

Edit - so I've been searching day by day and award space shows, when searching for partners using the flex search, the site returns no results.
I've seen highly variable availability on some AR intra-Argentina flights when looking on Delta's website for the past month or two, using both the flexible and specific days options. For example, some days (like today) I see nonstop availability from BUE-FTE one way on November 12, and other days it doesn't exist. I also see results showing up on Air France's website that don't show up in Delta's, such as flights from FTE-AEP-IGR that show up on November 19 on Air France, but nothing appears when searching with flexible dates on Delta's website.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by mother-
The Stockholm Syndrome here shocks me. These certificates have T&C's and if Delta or AMEX doesn't want to let you use these on a flight then Delta can't be selling seats in one of the fare classes these are valid on. INTENTIONALLY not loading hidden inventory that is internal mechanics of how they implement these certificates is fraud.
I'm not sure why I'm responding, but I'll do it once.

I believe I understand your reference to the Stockholm Syndrome, but that's out of left field. A lot of people fly and don't have a Delta Amex card so it's even secondary to being part of Skymiles.

I choose to have the Reserve card for a number of beneficial reasons, mainly access to the Lounge and enough MQMs to make GM or PM. The certificate is a nice bonus. What is the problem? (Well, I understand what you think is the problem so I hope you don't have either one of the cards).

But regardless of anything else, your last sentence about fraud is ridiculous. There is no hidden inventory and as you said there are T&Cs. DL makes available certain seats on certain flights. Is it also fraud when DL says that you can get upgrades to FC and then they don't make them available. I expect you would say yes.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2

It's been broken like that for (some? most? all?) SkyTeam airline awards for a the last few weeks, if not over a month.. typical DL at its "best". The only customer they want is an ignorant and uninformed one. What availability DL shows (e.g. many MU flights), it won't let you book. A lot of what is available, at the same time, it will not show you, so you can't book that either, unless you search elsewhere and then HUACA until you get a competent agent who will actually book the available flights for you, vs. using the same broken GUI search comparable to dullta.com and tell you that it is N/A, when really it is available (just not using the GUI that most phone agents use, and not on dullta.com).

In short, don't trust dullta.com.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: DL SM, AA, BA, WN, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Call in. Have them re-issue your tickets and the upgrade will become available online under my trips and is available segment by segment. There is a discount if you upgrade all segments in either your outbound or return flights.

The problem I have encountered is that I was watching my upgrade prices on a daily basis until 30 days out when they disappeared both online and in the app. I have asked twitter folks to reissue again and see if that makes them visible again. Will update post when I determine result.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by beatnavy77
Well, I think I have good news. I am Platinum Medallion with the Platinum AmEx card and just booked a flight in August using a companion certificate for my wife, and was told that starting in Aug, flyers & companion cert flyers are now eligible for all the usual Medallion upgrades! As promised, we were both immediately upgraded to Comfort+, and I was even told that we'd be eligible for being upgraded to first class. Glad to see that Delta/AmEx realized how to bring back the appeal of these certificates/credit cards. I'm withholding final judgment until others have the same experience to make sure this wasn't an aberration.
We have a short "companion" flight to MDW tomorrow, we weren't expecting any type of upgrade. 5 Days out I got an email saying we were upgraded to F. Nice touch DL.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
With the new rules can one use a RUC with a companion certificate ?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by BG-777Flyer
With the new rules can one use a RUC with a companion certificate ?

Restrictions:
Redemption is available only on delta.com. The certificate cannot be combined with another offer or discount including, but not limited to, web fares, sale fares and eCoupons. Both passengers must be booked at the same time, in the same class of service and in the same record. Seats are only available in L, U, T, X, V classes of service and may not be available on all flights or markets. Most fares require an advance purchase of up to 14 days, a 3 night minimum stay and a 30-day maximum stay. All fare rules, restrictions, advance purchase requirements, and availability are per rule of Primary Ticket fare purchased. Companion tickets are not transferable. Primary Ticket and Companion ticket must be purchased with your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express. Both passengers must be booked on the same flights and dates, at the same time. Travel for Companion certificate must be booked and completed by the date on the front of certificate. Validity is not based on calendar year. Primary ticket will accrue miles. Companion ticket will not accrue miles. Beginning April 6, 2017, Medallion Members traveling with one companion will be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades to both First Class and Delta Comfort+® based on the Status of the higher-tiered Member, as long as the companion is a General SkyMiles Member, Medallion Member or partner airline elite member, traveling in the same reservation. Tickets are not eligible for mileage upgrades, Global or Regional Upgrades. Companion Certificate is void if reproduced, altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law. Companion Certificate has no value except when redeemed in accordance with all terms and conditions of this offer. Companion Certificate is for new purchases only and cannot be applied to the cost of prepaid tickets, ticket by mail, miscellaneous charge orders, Airscript or previously issued tickets. Companion Certificate will be deemed fully used once tickets have been issued and will not be returned or replaced. Companion Certificate is the property of Delta Air Lines and must be surrendered or returned upon request.

No - The rules are your friend.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Deleted - wrong thread

Last edited by essexnyc; Jul 20, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
I'm not sure why I'm responding, but I'll do it once.

I believe I understand your reference to the Stockholm Syndrome, but that's out of left field. A lot of people fly and don't have a Delta Amex card so it's even secondary to being part of Skymiles.

I choose to have the Reserve card for a number of beneficial reasons, mainly access to the Lounge and enough MQMs to make GM or PM. The certificate is a nice bonus. What is the problem? (Well, I understand what you think is the problem so I hope you don't have either one of the cards).

But regardless of anything else, your last sentence about fraud is ridiculous. There is no hidden inventory and as you said there are T&Cs. DL makes available certain seats on certain flights. Is it also fraud when DL says that you can get upgrades to FC and then they don't make them available. I expect you would say yes.
That people like you come to a thread about the success or failure in using AMEX companion certificates and defend them being fraudulently devalued + imply that I'm the one that is exhibiting strange behavior by pointing this out, that's what I'm referring to, to eliminate confusion.

And there ABSOLUTELY is required hidden inventory.

The T&C's of the certificates do not allow them to choose what flights to offer the hidden inventory required to use the certificates on. They specify what fare classes the use of certificates is restricted to. The fact that it isn't an isolated accident, that they manage to always have my (and all the other) corporate contract's hidden buckets match normal availability, and haven't even attempted to fix it (in years!), is what is fraudulent.

And I still have a Reserve card, but it sure isn't because of these mostly useless to me certificates. However the topic of this thread is the ability to use these certificates, not the plusses/minuses of the various Delta AMEX cards.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
I just booked using two certificates (I have two AMEX cards) on a end of July ATL-BOS-ATL trip for a family of four. So far two of us are upgraded to Comfort+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.