Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
How do you mean you've found the same?

In my post, I did a search using the actual BOGO cert currently sitting in my SkyMiles account. This is slightly different from just searching and looking for 2 matching LUTXV fares available for sale, since there are some reports that not all LUTXV fares are eligible (though in my experience there hasn't actually been a difference, so YMMV).

My certs have always posted right about when Amex posts the renewal fee to my account. This is not necessarily when the statement closes..usually sometime in the month leading up to that statement.
I obviously don't have the cert yet so I just searched and looked for LUTXV fares. I didn't realize some weren't eligible! That sucks. Goes against what the terms say. Why are some of these fares ineligible?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by mnbp
I'm not sure the exact anniversary date for my DL Amex Plat card - I've held the card for several years. However, two data points which might be helpful.

My renewal annual fee posted to my Amex account on April 23 this year, as it did the year before.

My Amex Companion cert posted to my DL Skymiles account on April 3. Last year, my companion cert posted on April 4.

What date did your first annual fee post? Based on my experience, you might expect to see your companion cert post to your DL.com wallet about 19-20 calendar days prior to the posting date for the next annual fee.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info!

My fee posted on 11/18, the date of my first statement.

I opened the card on 10/26.

Hopefully the cert becomes available at the end of Oct or early Nov rather than mid to late Nov! Only reason being I want to nab a flight for July...and the sooner the better!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Not sure if this is a MU or DL issue (likely mostly MU) but I was disappointed recently to only be able to book 1 J tix for my SO and only a Y for me on a recent MU international flight. J cabin in the end went out 2/3 empty. For whatever reason MU allows only certain # of DL award tix per cabin and once it's gone it doesn't reallocate even if the cabin is empty.

MU agents wouldn't allow me to purchase it during check in, onboard they offered for a reasonable price but not what I wanted to pay.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Not sure if this is a MU or DL issue (likely mostly MU) but I was disappointed recently to only be able to book 1 J tix for my SO and only a Y for me on a recent MU international flight. J cabin in the end went out 2/3 empty. For whatever reason MU allows only certain # of DL award tix per cabin and once it's gone it doesn't reallocate even if the cabin is empty.

MU agents wouldn't allow me to purchase it during check in, onboard they offered for a reasonable price but not what I wanted to pay.
That seems to be the trend amongst SkyTeam airlines, to offer 1O/2X to other SkyTeam airlines (not just DL, not DL specific). First was KE, then GA, now also MU, and may be (likely) others following the same trend (I suspect also CI, but not yet 100% sure of that - not enough data to back it up).

At first that is what DL itself was doing back years ago, but now of course DL inventory varies widely from 9O to 0O and 1O, 2O, etc. on flights every few days, or a few times a day, so if you search patiently and long enough (for some 6 months or longer, starting at 11 months out), you have a good chance to get the flight you want in O (at normal price). So, other airlines are adopting DL model of 1O/2X on all flights at T-331 until booked and then no more, while DL itself has moved away from it.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RealHJ
That seems to be the trend amongst SkyTeam airlines, to offer 1O/2X to other SkyTeam airlines (not just DL, not DL specific). First was KE, then GA, now also MU, and may be (likely) others following the same trend (I suspect also CI, but not yet 100% sure of that - not enough data to back it up).

At first that is what DL itself was doing back years ago, but now of course DL inventory varies widely from 9O to 0O and 1O, 2O, etc. on flights every few days, or a few times a day, so if you search patiently and long enough (for some 6 months or longer, starting at 11 months out), you have a good chance to get the flight you want in O (at normal price). So, other airlines are adopting DL model of 1O/2X on all flights at T-331 until booked and then no more, while DL itself has moved away from it.
Seems accurate. However at one point I had EF showing 2O, but when DL went to sell it it replied NK. Oh well.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
CI is still allowing at least 2O, I just booked YVR-TPE-BKK for me +1.

It did take a bit of HUCA. First agent told me CI wasn't available on the route and only offered CZ. I called again and requested specific flights, and the agent put it together without problems.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: Show me the points!

This is absolutely correct. I live in Sydney and have been incredibly frustrated by this fact as I was unable to make SkyMiles work for a trip to Europe next year because of this specific reason.

I've seen it on CI for Europe -> TPE routes as well as certain routes intra-Asia. I've also seen it on domestic VN routes.

It's not just ST doing this either, I've noticed that MH does it as well.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by nichojo
This is absolutely correct. I live in Sydney and have been incredibly frustrated by this fact as I was unable to make SkyMiles work for a trip to Europe next year because of this specific reason.

I've seen it on CI for Europe -> TPE routes as well as certain routes intra-Asia. I've also seen it on domestic VN routes.

It's not just ST doing this either, I've noticed that MH does it as well.
Oh yes, becoming more and more common. Still most prevalent in SkyTeam. GA, VN and CI didn't used to do it, now they do. KE of course is the worst at that, blocking out some routes entirely every day of the year, on many routes Fri-Sun completely blacked out always, and otherwise 1O/2X. But it has all started from Delta having little to no normal level availability, so now DL and thus DL FFs are getting back at DL not playing well or fairly with other SkyTeam members..
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
First year with the companion pass (got card last summer). Heading to SF for a wedding early next year and prices dropped down today to $367 in U. Easily added in the companion pass and ended up at $413 (including taxes on the companion) for RDU - SEA - SFO - SEA - RDU for 2 people. There initially were more options but those disappeared but upside is price actually dropped further on the SEA connection even after those others disappeared.

No issues here - that weekend was all the way up at $500+/person when I first started looking and dates are fixed. Total value of pass comes out at $322. Also no issues using my AMEX Plat for 5x instead of my DL AMEX at 2x to pay.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So I used my PLT cert for a vacation to MCO, well Irma has changed that, was able to change our flights without fee, PHX-JFK-BOS-DTW-PHX for the same dates and zero out of pocket. After everything was done over the phone (BTW, it took an agent over 3 hours to call me back) I went on line and looked at my reservation, and was offered a paid upgrade to C+ or F. Took the C+ offer to BOS, used my Prestige card for the $250 travel credit. On our way home, I took the F offer and used my Amex PLT card for it's $250 travel credit. Thought it was odd that I was able to do this but wasn't going to complain and jumped on it anyone had this happen?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by guitarguy19
I obviously don't have the cert yet so I just searched and looked for LUTXV fares. I didn't realize some weren't eligible! That sucks. Goes against what the terms say. Why are some of these fares ineligible?
Overall, there is very good similarity between LUTXV fares offered on delta.com and what is available when you search for certificate travel. The only cases I have found where one cannot use an AmEx certificate for LUTXV fares are (1) there is only one ticket available at that fare, and (2) it is a broken fare (so, XXX-YYY-ZZZ composed of an XXX-YYY fare and a YYY-ZZZ fare). If the two fare classes are the same, they do not show up on the web as a broken fare.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:44 am

Oh yes, becoming more and more common. Still most prevalent in SkyTeam. GA, VN and CI didn't used to do it, now they do. KE of course is the worst at that, blocking out some routes entirely every day of the year, on many routes Fri-Sun completely blacked out always, and otherwise 1O/2X. But it has all started from Delta having little to no normal level availability, so now DL and thus DL FFs are getting back at DL not playing well or fairly with other SkyTeam members..
Recently my only luck has been on CI for more than 1 O tix. MU, CZ, and KE have all been a pain. So much for seamless award travel in Asia...
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:24 pm

Recently my only luck has been on CI for more than 1 O tix. MU, CZ, and KE have all been a pain. So much for seamless award travel in Asia...
In my recent searches for 2x O award, MU, CZ, VN would show up in results on DL app (both iPhone and iPad). CI never showed for connecting itinerary search, only segment by segment.

KE never showed in my searches.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
In my recent searches for 2x O award, MU, CZ, VN would show up in results on DL app (both iPhone and iPad). CI never showed for connecting itinerary search, only segment by segment.

KE never showed in my searches.
Well beware that even though EF shows 2x O, DL may not be able to book. Read up thread about my experience with MU, showed O2 but DL could only sell 1.

Even if you find CI segment by segment, tell the agents the itinerary and have them price it out. If pricing isn't good talk to the ST desk. Lots of tips in the booking SM awards with partner airlines thread.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:03 am

Well beware that even though EF shows 2x O, DL may not be able to book. Read up thread about my experience with MU, showed O2 but DL could only sell 1.

Even if you find CI segment by segment, tell the agents the itinerary and have them price it out. If pricing isn't good talk to the ST desk. Lots of tips in the booking SM awards with partner airlines thread.
I actually searched on delta.com, then abandoned their broken site and used the mobile app, which showed better results. CI options I found via AF, then confirmed each segment on DL app, then called in, since it would not show up online. HUCA once, fed the second agent each segment and he managed to price it out correctly (at the new partner rate of 95K, joy ).

I transfered in MR points to top off my SM account while I had the agent on the phone.

One of a million reasons I stopped collecting SkyMiles directly years ago...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.