Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by guam17
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, don't post here much but read all the time.

I was trying to book an open jaw award ticket from SEA-ZAG/PRG for next summer for the old honeymoon, despite availability showing when I called the PM line and online (mobile and through dl.com), it kept giving an error along the lines of "oops this fare just sold out", the inbound and outbound were both DL metal SEA-CDG across the Atlantic, then AF the rest of the way. The PM line agent said she could see availability, but couldn't book it, and suggested I just book the SEA-CDG roundtrip and try to change it later. Should I just HUCA or do what she suggested? Looking on Flying Blue it shows tons of availability on both CDG-ZAG and PRG-CDG on or around the dates I selected. I could certainly just pay cash for the other two segments, but it seems kind of stupid to if there is actually availability.
Is the FB availability at the normal ("classic") pricing or at a higher level? If it's not normal award availability, then you can't book that with DL (you can only book normal - X and O class - awards with DL, not any higher tier ones) and you are seeing phantom availability, so nothing you can do. If, however, it is "classic" (normal price, not a higher price) available on FB, then while there is a chance that somehow it's "not available" to DL, it's more likely actually available and you should at least try to push with DL (e.g. escalate to Global Ticketing Support) to get it set.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If I'm using the companion cert, any chance of upgrades to Comfort+ (or even domestic first) from SPG/Delta Crossover? HNL-LAS is new starting next month...
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by msp3
If I'm using the companion cert, any chance of upgrades to Comfort+ (or even domestic first) from SPG/Delta Crossover? HNL-LAS is new starting next month...
If both of you are SPG Plat with Crossover, then some chance, otherwise for companion upgrades where the companion has no status the primary member must be a DL Medallion of some sort.
msp3 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:10 am

Just used our cert for a RT flight from DTW-DEN. No issues.

The flights that I searched before were a mix of far classes from the eligible list (L,U,T,X,V), and all of the options were available when I searched through the cert link.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Is the FB availability at the normal ("classic") pricing or at a higher level? If it's not normal award availability, then you can't book that with DL (you can only book normal - X and O class - awards with DL, not any higher tier ones) and you are seeing phantom availability, so nothing you can do. If, however, it is "classic" (normal price, not a higher price) available on FB, then while there is a chance that somehow it's "not available" to DL, it's more likely actually available and you should at least try to push with DL (e.g. escalate to Global Ticketing Support) to get it set.
It showed up on FB as "classic" pricing. Not sure what the issue was, I tried the Plat line multiple times, and they were not able to book it regardless of how I set up the flights which were listed as available on DL.com (tried TATL segments on DL or AF). They could book the DL segments, but not the AF ones. Finally, I just used the dates that showed as available on AS and it worked, I went segment by segment with AS figured out all the flight numbers and dates and called in to book and that worked. Either the medallion line folks were lying, or DL was showing availability that wasn't actually there. I actually found searching AS much easier, not sure why I didn't think of it before - I guess it wouldn't show availability on KLM, but whatever. Either way, worked out in the end, just had to flip the inbound/outbound destinations for the open jaw (we had a preference for going to the beach destination first, but oh well, no big deal). Skymiles are such a pain in the ... compared to using AS miles, I don't get why they make it so damn hard, well I guess I do, but still annoying. Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
It showed up on FB as "classic" pricing. Not sure what the issue was, I tried the Plat line multiple times, and they were not able to book it regardless of how I set up the flights which were listed as available on DL.com (tried TATL segments on DL or AF). They could book the DL segments, but not the AF ones. Finally, I just used the dates that showed as available on AS and it worked, I went segment by segment with AS figured out all the flight numbers and dates and called in to book and that worked. Either the medallion line folks were lying, or DL was showing availability that wasn't actually there. I actually found searching AS much easier, not sure why I didn't think of it before - I guess it wouldn't show availability on KLM, but whatever. Either way, worked out in the end, just had to flip the inbound/outbound destinations for the open jaw (we had a preference for going to the beach destination first, but oh well, no big deal). Skymiles are such a pain in the ... compared to using AS miles, I don't get why they make it so damn hard, well I guess I do, but still annoying. Thanks for the help.
The same flights/date were available on AS? If so and you booked it, then it was a DL side issue 100%. If it was different dates/flights you ended up booking with AS, then it could have been an issue where FB shows "classic" flights but it's not available to other airlines still (not common but I believe it happens from time to time).
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
The same flights/date were available on AS? If so and you booked it, then it was a DL side issue 100%. If it was different dates/flights you ended up booking with AS, then it could have been an issue where FB shows "classic" flights but it's not available to other airlines still (not common but I believe it happens from time to time).
AS was not showing the original flights DL.com/FB showed as available, so I switched dates and the destinations to dates AS showed as available and booked those through DL. I don't know, no big deal as the dates still work fine, just would have been easier and saved me a ton of time if DL.com actually listed accurate availability on AF. One of the medallion desk folks said that even if FB shows classic inventory, they can't always book it as FB doesn't release all of those seats to partners, but they should be able to if it shows up on DL.com. Could be BS, I dunno. Next time I will just search with AS, doesn't seem like there is ever much KLM availability anyway.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:22 pm

AS was not showing the original flights DL.com/FB showed as available, so I switched dates and the destinations to dates AS showed as available and booked those through DL. I don't know, no big deal as the dates still work fine, just would have been easier and saved me a ton of time if DL.com actually listed accurate availability on AF. One of the medallion desk folks said that even if FB shows classic inventory, they can't always book it as FB doesn't release all of those seats to partners, but they should be able to if it shows up on DL.com. Could be BS, I dunno. Next time I will just search with AS, doesn't seem like there is ever much KLM availability anyway.
Yes, the AS search is, at the moment at least, one of the best ways to search for real AF availability. I believe AF has some awards it shows as "classic" but with a slightly higher price than normal, which are N/A to others (basically close-to-normal-price awards only available FB members). At least, that is how it was a few years ago..

The dullta.com search is broken - or inaccurate, to be precise - not just for AF/KL, but also a lot of time for MU, and others.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:49 pm

Hoping this is the right place and that y'all can clarify something for me.

If someone else uses a DL credit or PWM to book a flight for me, do I earn still earn MQMs for the flight?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by heyglu
Hoping this is the right place and that y'all can clarify something for me.

If someone else uses a DL credit or PWM to book a flight for me, do I earn still earn MQMs for the flight?
The PASSENGER is always the person who earns miles/points for flights. Whose name is on the credit card or the mileage account from which miles came to book is irrelevant.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:10 pm

'tis what I believed true but wanted to double check there were no oddities about this scenario before I embark on a 20k mi MR
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Liked my BOGO Pricing

I used an Amex cert to book SAN-JFK in January.
On the credit card payment page, the price changed. Perhaps a fare decrease. I dunno.
I can't replicate this by just buying a regular cash pair of tix on Delta.com, and that was my last BOGO cert.

Might be an interesting exercise for FT'ers to book a rt using BOGO cert. Be sure to click thru to payment.
Dates to approx mid-February for my booked routing are on Delta's cyber Monday sale, so maybe that's the reason.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:46 am

I was trying to see what a redemption on Garuda would cost from CGK to SOQ(Sorong), but I can't even get the connection to display, despite there being flights that day. Will online booking display intra-Indonesia flights such as that(in this case, with a stop in UPG)? How can I figure out availability and cost if not?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Just used one of mine which was set to expire next year for a last min day trip. A fare both ways, decided to bring my father along for fun. Worked like a charm (always has, I've never had an issue using these....)
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
using my companion certificate for a trip to Key West over New Year's.....using Hilton Honors points at Casa Marina as well

12/30/2017: BNA->ATL->EYW
1/4/2018: EYW->ATL->BNA
hurnik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.