Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM
I've had no problem getting first class SFO/TPA/SFO (or vice versa) using our Amex Reserve certificates, and before that main cabin when we had DL Amex Platinum, but we've had to be flexible with the connection. In the process we discovered that DTW is surprisingly nice. Late spring to early fall is a good time to use the certificate if you have to connect into or out of TPA because DL likes to force you through blizzard country to use the certificate, and as nice as DTW is, I don't want to sleep there.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
Your previous post says "Cheaper just to buy the ticket. But that was transcon flights, maybe other destinations are easier." The certificate is for the lower fare bucket tickets (L-V). Are you buying K and S fares a lot and trying to use the companion certificate?
I'm not, but other people on flyertalk have complained about being unable to do that.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I've tried about 10 dates MKE/MSN to LAS in February and March: no dice.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dalehill
I've had no problem getting first class SFO/TPA/SFO (or vice versa) using our Amex Reserve certificates, and before that main cabin when we had DL Amex Platinum, but we've had to be flexible with the connection. In the process we discovered that DTW is surprisingly nice. Late spring to early fall is a good time to use the certificate if you have to connect into or out of TPA because DL likes to force you through blizzard country to use the certificate, and as nice as DTW is, I don't want to sleep there.

I think some of the issues I'm reading are people want to fly on CERTAIN flights or at certain times and as we all know that might not happen with the Companion Cert.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Yes - this worked well for me even on a weird airport (EGE/Vail Eagle). $580 fare.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
-raises hand-

Novice question here. I understand the companion certificate must be a roundtrip ticket in the lower 48 states. I understand that I may have to search for dates and be flexible.

What I am not still sure of - if I want a flight that makes a connection such as BNA/LAX/SFO and then the exact same in reverse - does the certificate cover that? Or does in only cover a destination to destination with no connecting flights? (Example: We want to fly to SFO. Can we book BNA-LAX-SFO and then the same in reverse using the companion certificate or are we stuck using BNA to LAX and exact thing in reverse with the certificate and paying on a separate flight record number for LAX to SFO?)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Connecting flights are fine.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
-raises hand-

Novice question here. I understand the companion certificate must be a roundtrip ticket in the lower 48 states. I understand that I may have to search for dates and be flexible.

What I am not still sure of - if I want a flight that makes a connection such as BNA/LAX/SFO and then the exact same in reverse - does the certificate cover that? Or does in only cover a destination to destination with no connecting flights? (Example: We want to fly to SFO. Can we book BNA-LAX-SFO and then the same in reverse using the companion certificate or are we stuck using BNA to LAX and exact thing in reverse with the certificate and paying on a separate flight record number for LAX to SFO?)
No problem connecting, and you don't have to fly the same route on the return. You just have to return to the same airport (or a co-terminal?)
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Has anyone else noticed that intra-China awards (that used to book as cheap as 7,000 miles in first class) are not almost three times as much...even on short routes? Now the cheapest routes I can find are 17,500 miles for business or first. Anyone else having the same experience?
just wait to see what happens when CZ leaves ST....
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lola16
I've found it had too many restrictions and fees. Cheaper just to buy the ticket. But that was transcon flights, maybe other destinations are easier.
These generic posts are funny, why not share with us what flights you were looking for??

I just purchased PHX-JFK-PHX for 2 RT $375. Nowhere am I'm going to get it cheaper than that.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Hi

I am flying on a long distance flight from SF - DEL - SF on Skyteam

Both flights are on Delta/KLM and Alitalia/Delta - I have always used Star Alliance in the past and most of miles used to go to United and now part to Aegean (where i get miles based on miles flown and not amount paid)

So even though my tickets are twice as much as i would generally pay but since we are flying 23 Dec-4th Jan - its a given. But question is Where / which program do i request these miles considering I will be flying almost 20K miles???

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by g6fath3r
Hi

I am flying on a long distance flight from SF - DEL - SF on Skyteam

Both flights are on Delta/KLM and Alitalia/Delta - I have always used Star Alliance in the past and most of miles used to go to United and now part to Aegean (where i get miles based on miles flown and not amount paid)

So even though my tickets are twice as much as i would generally pay but since we are flying 23 Dec-4th Jan - its a given. But question is Where / which program do i request these miles considering I will be flying almost 20K miles???

Thanks for your help in advance!
If you're asking where to credit paid tickets, then it would be easier to answer if you can provide class of travel/booking code, whether flights are booked as native or codeshare, and who issued the ticket (first three digits of ticket #s ). This will help determine the best FF program to credit to.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Just booked AUS-JFK for my sister and niece to come meet me in three weeks.

Interesting bit was when did an initial dummy booking for two pax, Basic Economy fares were showing at ~$236 and Main Cabin for ~$286. When I went in via companion cert link, was $236 plus another ~$30 in taxes for the companion ticket with both on V fares.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I don't ever use these for the simple reason that the dates don't work for me. My annual date is May 28 and that is too late to make my plans for summer once I get the new cert. And with the old one travel has to be completed by May 28.

I have only been able to use one cert in all the years I've had the card.

I thought about calling AX and asking if they would change my anniversary date. Waste of time?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Companion cents are upgrade eligible now. I just booked exactly what you talked about with my companion certificate. I'm in FC for part of it and economy for two segments. The segments in economy have already cleared into C+ and we have the request for complimentary FC upgrade showing in the itinerary.
Just to clarify, as a DM, companion certificate is eligible for complimentary upgrades but NOT RUCs, yes? My son and I were upgraded to C+ this year JFK-LAX, and I'm now looking at JFK-SFO, and cost for Delta One R/T is 8x main cabin - would be nice to buy main cabin and use four RUCs, but my guess is that this is not possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.