Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM
I guess my original question was just about the best way to find fares that are companion cert eligible using flexible days or nearby airports. I usually have flexibility in my travel and I like to use that function.

This is an example of what I was looking at. Found X fare AZO-SEA June 9-12, but when searching through the cert page, it told me no results. I feel like I may be missing something, but I'm not sure what.

Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:15 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JoelThomas
I guess my original question was just about the best way to find fares that are companion cert eligible using flexible days or nearby airports. I usually have flexibility in my travel and I like to use that function.

This is an example of what I was looking at. Found X fare AZO-SEA June 9-12, but when searching through the cert page, it told me no results. I feel like I may be missing something, but I'm not sure what.
I just searched with my companion cert and was able to pull the flights you were looking for. Might want to clear cache/cookies?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
I just searched with my companion cert and was able to pull the flights you were looking for. Might want to clear cache/cookies?
Thanks for checking TTT. Glad to know it's on my end not an overall availability issue.
Cleared cache/cookies, still no dice. I'm not in any hurry to book anything, was just playing around to see what kind of availability I might see to a few destinations. Will check again tomorrow, hopefully it works itself out. Appreciate the help guys
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:55 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JoelThomas
Thanks for checking TTT. Glad to know it's on my end not an overall availability issue.
Cleared cache/cookies, still no dice. I'm not in any hurry to book anything, was just playing around to see what kind of availability I might see to a few destinations. Will check again tomorrow, hopefully it works itself out. Appreciate the help guys
Very strange that we are finding different availability.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
Very strange that we are finding different availability.
Strange indeed. Wonder if it's just a snafu with the cert being issued today. I'll check again tomorrow.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:56 pm

There's an issue right now with just issued certificates not working.

Should hopefully be fixed soon.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott GLD, HH GLD, TotalRewards Diamond
Redeemed for a V class fare. Was pretty decent value 350 r/t JFK-SFO.

It took me a bit to find it and you are limited to using the delta system from the link in your wallet where the cert is.

Hope it isn't becoming harder to use. Is a nice perk.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:36 pm

Hello.

I'm hoping to use Skymiles for a one-way business class trip to Africa.
Specifically, I'm looking at JFK-CDG-NKC, with the JFK-CDG leg booked on Delta so that it prices at 80K Skymiles.

On December 23rd, there is low-level availability on DL404 from JFK-CDG (as verified on Delta.com)
[NB: availability disappeared since I made this post, but DL46 (JFK-AMS) to KL1223 (AMS-CDG) is currently available]

On December 24th, there is low-level availability on AF724 from CDG-NKC (as verified on Delta.com and Airfrance.com)

This itinerary is bookable using cash (i.e. a legal booking), and also using Flyingblue miles (100K, plus a hefty fee).

However, when I try to book JFK-NKC on Delta.com, the only options that are provided have Air France as the overwater carrier, which means the cost is 95K Skymiles.
I've called Delta twice to have them marry together these two segments, but they seem unable to do so.

Any thoughts on steps I can take to make this itinerary happen?

Last edited by grlmopz; Feb 6, 2018 at 3:52 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL uses married segment logic on awards now. Just because there is "low" availability on the two individual segments does not mean there will low availability for a through award fare involving the two segments.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
DL uses married segment logic on awards now. Just because there is "low" availability on the two individual segments does not mean there will low availability for a through award fare involving the two segments.
Is this new? The guide at the start of this section says "Lastly, keep in mind there are NO married segments in award tickets for partners (DL metal only itins may have married segments)."
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by grlmopz
Is this new? The guide at the start of this section says "Lastly, keep in mind there are NO married segments in award tickets for partners (DL metal only itins may have married segments)."
To the best of my knowledge, what you are quoting here is correct.

If you simply stay away from ANY DL flights, then there should be no "married segment logic." The moment you bring in a DL flight, then, well, no rules and no logic applies (at least, that is known to anyone outside of DL Rev Mgmt).

But, on some routes, non-DL flights may cost you more than DL flights. So, you get some, and you lose some.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ

If you simply stay away from ANY DL flights, then there should be no "married segment logic." The moment you bring in a DL flight, then, well, no rules and no logic applies (at least, that is known to anyone outside of DL Rev Mgmt).

But, on some routes, non-DL flights may cost you more than DL flights. So, you get some, and you lose some.
OK, thanks. The guide implies that only all-DL-metal flights are potentially subjected to married segment logic, but it seems that statement might need to be tweaked a bit now.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ

Thank you, I didn't know that. I'm going to try calling about an award from SGN-JFK via LHR. Both segments are available as low, but the full itinerary doesn't show up. Wish me luck.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by FlyTheFriendlyMonkey
Thank you, I didn't know that. I'm going to try calling about an award from SGN-JFK via LHR. Both segments are available as low, but the full itinerary doesn't show up. Wish me luck.
You cannot fly over Atlantic. It'll price as two separate awards. So I mean you can fly that way, but just be prepared to pay additive pricing of two awards.

If you want it as one award, pick routing something like SGN-NRT-JFK, SGN-ICN-JFK, SGN-CAN-JFK, SGN-PVG-JFK, etc.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:56 pm

FYI, I found a segment from CAN-LAX on China Southern business class (on Delta.com and ExpertFlyer). When I tried to book, it said it wasn't available. I tried online and by phone. Both did not work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.