Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
doing some random partner Asia pricing for business class awards...

LAX-ICN, nonstop on KE one-way now pricing at 125K miles for J
LAX-TPE, nonstop on CI one-way now pricing at 125K miles for J

I can still get, example, SEA-ICN nonstop on DL for 80K which books into O. I had heard about the 15K upcharge for partner awards, but now can't find any TPAC business award on partner carriers for the 95K rate. And I'm looking at nonstop flights only, not trying to add domestic segments or that sort of thing.

Has anyone else seen this? (hoping) it's maybe just a pricing glitch here at 1am.
Just booked China Airlines BKK-TPE-JFK over the phone in business class for 95K.

Had to call and have the agent enter the segments in individually, but that isn't a huge surprise these days. It was a quick and painless call.

China Eastern and Southern of course comes back easily using Delta.com on multi-stop awards with the 95K pricing, but not exactly looking to go out of my way to fly on them vs. China Airlines if I don't have to.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:19 am

Fares?

Question on using the Amex Delta Plat companion certificate:

As I understand it, the fares must be L, U, T, X, V. Easy enough.

My question: do the fares have to match on both flights? Or can you have say a T fare on your departure and an X fare on your returning flight?

I couldn't really seem to find a clear answer to this...

Thanks guys!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by guitarguy19

My question: do the fares have to match on both flights? Or can you have say a T fare on your departure and an X fare on your returning flight?

Thanks guys!
When you go book with the companion pass, you have to select it in your wallet first, and then the website will show you the flights in which you can use the companion pass. You don't have to worry about picking which fare or look for certain ones,.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat

Thanks guys!
Don't know for sure, but with the Reserve you can have a mix of coach and FC.

Remember that it's not a matter of picking flights you want because you get to choose from the flights that are presented to you.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
When you go book with the companion pass, you have to select it in your wallet first, and then the website will show you the flights in which you can use the companion pass. You don't have to worry about picking which fare or look for certain ones,.
Gotcha. I haven't done that yet because I'm new to using the cert, but I was aware this is how the process works from reading up on it.

But...I don't have the cert yet. I expect it in the next week or so. So I can't search via this method.

In the meantime I was searching the flight I wanna book and looking at what fares were available. No flights seem to exist that have matching fares on both flights. Bunch of T fares on the outbound, bunch of X fares on the return. I was wanting to know if I'll be able to use the cert here or if I'm screwed!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador

Thanks guys!
No match required. Just booked L out, T return last week.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
As with many things DL, exactly which fares qualify for Amex cert use is opaque.

However, there is one thing certain - broken fares (more than one fare in each direction) won't work with the Amex cert.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Used mine (reserve) last month to travel SEA-MSP-SEA for two people. Super easy, fares came up the same as searching regularly ($350 per person in economy) so saved around $320 (after paying taxes for the second ticket). Not a bad way to offset about half the cost of the reserve card.
Had the card for 3 years now but hadn't used the cert before, as my renewal date is Oct 31 and most of my travel that I would use the cert occurs in November/December (so I have to book long before I would have the cert issued)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
As with many things DL, exactly which fares qualify for Amex cert use is opaque.

However, there is one thing certain - broken fares (more than one fare in each direction) won't work with the Amex cert.
I'mnot sure what you mean by opaque since it's in the terms, but you can certainly have different "fares" with the reserve card. You can have FC on one segment and coach on another.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
I'mnot sure what you mean by opaque since it's in the terms, but you can certainly have different "fares" with the reserve card. You can have FC on one segment and coach on another.
I think what they mean is something like this:

I had read the cert terms and had sorted Delta flights based upon the fare class. At the time it returned like 3 different roundtrip itineraries at 3 different prices.

I then went to use the cert, a minute or so later, and it only returned one valid itinerary.

So apparently not all fare classes (ie, T class all the way for example) are eligible.

but this was like 9 months ago so things may have changed. I've not tried something similar since.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik
I think what they mean is something like this:

I had read the cert terms and had sorted Delta flights based upon the fare class. At the time it returned like 3 different roundtrip itineraries at 3 different prices.

I then went to use the cert, a minute or so later, and it only returned one valid itinerary.

So apparently not all fare classes (ie, T class all the way for example) are eligible.

but this was like 9 months ago so things may have changed. I've not tried something similar since.
Are you saying that you sorted the flights on a "regular" search not using the certificate?
If so there is no relevance. If you want to use a cert, as you later did, those are the only eligible flights for the cert. Nothing is opaque - what you see searching with the cert is what you get.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Are you saying that you sorted the flights on a "regular" search not using the certificate?
If so there is no relevance. If you want to use a cert, as you later did, those are the only eligible flights for the cert. Nothing is opaque - what you see searching with the cert is what you get.
I think it's not so much "Nothing is opaque" as more realistically "Not everything is intuitively obvious" ... unless someone knows to start searching with the cert applied, a "w-t-fox-o?" reaction isn't at all unexpected because the cert T&Cs don't explicitly state "not all LUTXV fares are eligible"
hurnik likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mnbp

Not IME. In fact for the trip where I used mine coming up, we're in different cabins. SEA-ATL and DTW-SEA in FC. ATL-RDU and RDU-DTW in Economy. ATL-RDU and RDU-DTW are both operated by aircraft with FC so no idea why it booked that way but since it was the short hops I'm not too terribly concerned.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
I think it's not so much "Nothing is opaque" as more realistically "Not everything is intuitively obvious" ... unless someone knows to start searching with the cert applied, a "w-t-fox-o?" reaction isn't at all unexpected because the cert T&Cs don't explicitly state "not all LUTXV fares are eligible"
This exactly. I searched (I believe) for all T fares or higher.
I checked each segment of the 3 itineraries and all were T fares.

But when using the cert, only one of those 3 T fares was "eligible".
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by hurnik
This exactly. I searched (I believe) for all T fares or higher.
I checked each segment of the 3 itineraries and all were T fares.

But when using the cert, only one of those 3 T fares was "eligible".
OK, the rules for the companion ticket include restrictions. One of the restrictions is that it may not be available on all flights or all markets. (There are other restrictions).

At least now you know how to find available flights with your companion ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.