Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by hurnik
Just remember that you don't get the Reserve Cert until AFTER the first year. So I think it's a $450 AF? So you'll have paid $900 by the time you get one cert, so I guess it would depend on what flight you take if it's worth the BOGO in A/I (or whatever it is) for FC. Although the Platinum Amex gets you Skyclub for $27 each I think?
That's true, and I can stomach waiting a year at $195 a lot better than at $450. But I guess this is meant to reduce churning. AmEx Skymiles Gold and Platinum get you Skyclub access for $29 per person; Reserve gets only you in for free and $29 per person thereafter, so that's not that much difference, IMHO.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by strickerj
That's true, and I can stomach waiting a year at $195 a lot better than at $450. But I guess this is meant to reduce churning. AmEx Skymiles Gold and Platinum get you Skyclub access for $29 per person; Reserve gets only you in for free and $29 per person thereafter, so that's not that much difference, IMHO.
This is why I have the Amex Platinum (non delta) plus the delta branded amex platinum. The non-branded card is $550/year but it comes with lots of benefits that, if well used, make it well worth the cost ($200 in airline fee credit, $200 in Uber credit, sky club access, Priority Pass lounge access, mid-level elite status at multiple hotel and car rental chains, Global Entry fee reimbursement and more).

I primarily use the Plat amex to reach the $25K min. spend and also get MQM boosts.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Amex certs can be used on an opaque subset of LUTXV fares. Just because 2 T fares are available on a flight doesn't necessarily mean you can use the cert - though I personally haven't ever had a problem using my certs (at most I have to be flexible by a couple hours here and there).

Technically you can pay to upgrade the fares on a companion cert, but....it's not worth it because you'll be quoted the fare difference for the paid ticket, and then the ENTIRE fare for the free ticket. Basically the companion ticket is issued in the booked class but with a base fare = $0. So when you buy-up to the new fare, the original ticket has no value to be credited toward the new one.

There are occasional reports of people receiving buy-up offers at OLCI, but those aren't true buy ups and of course aren't guaranteed.

If you want to fly in a premium cabin and pay for it, there's actually very good value in the Reserve cert and that might be the route you want to go. Also no guessing or gambling with the opportunity for a buy-up - you just get the seat you want from the beginning.
Well that's unfortunate... So I guess if you buy up to premium cabins, then the Reserve is the way to go to get any value out of the companion cert, assuming I can buy C+ and use the cert for C+. (I'm not sure I'd want to spring for F on a domestic flight, and if I buy regular coach, then it's back to the same issue as with the Platinum.)

Of course, there's the MQD waiver, but this card would just be for the perks and not my primary card for spending, so I wouldn't end up qualifying for that. I'll probably​ wait until later in the year to upgrade anyway - I don't want my certificates expiring in the middle of the summer when I'm most likely to want to use it.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is why I have the Amex Platinum (non delta) plus the delta branded amex platinum. The non-branded card is $550/year but it comes with lots of benefits that, if well used, make it well worth the cost ($200 in airline fee credit, $200 in Uber credit, sky club access, Priority Pass lounge access, mid-level elite status at multiple hotel and car rental chains, Global Entry fee reimbursement and more).

I primarily use the Plat amex to reach the $25K min. spend and also get MQM boosts.
Yeah I've been kind of waffling between the AmEx Platinum and the Chase Sapphire Reserve - AmEx definitely gets you more benefits, but CSR is ultimately a lot cheaper since the $300 travel credit would be much easier for me to use than the AmEx airline fee credit. Plus by most accounts, UR points are more valuable than MR.

Plus I'm a millennial, so apparently I'm supposed to think AmEx is "stodgy" now...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
I think you and I have both written about itineraries where you didn't get A or I for all legs. In the past I just waited until something became available (have always been able to use my certificate and my wife's). Since we can now get upgraded I might be more inclined to choose one of those. It's usually been the MCO-ATL leg and with C+ it's not a big deal.
I just had an intinerary like this. All legs except one booked into A and we were upgraded at the gate for the one flight not booked in A. I was pumped but it is a bit sad we didn't get the MQM boost for that one leg. First world problems lol
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Well that's unfortunate... So I guess if you buy up to premium cabins, then the Reserve is the way to go to get any value out of the companion cert, assuming I can buy C+ and use the cert for C+. (I'm not sure I'd want to spring for F on a domestic flight, and if I buy regular coach, then it's back to the same issue as with the Platinum.)

Of course, there's the MQD waiver, but this card would just be for the perks and not my primary card for spending, so I wouldn't end up qualifying for that. I'll probably​ wait until later in the year to upgrade anyway - I don't want my certificates expiring in the middle of the summer when I'm most likely to want to use it.
At this time you cannot buy C+ with the companion certificate. With the recent change you can at least get an upgrade (usual rules).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:36 pm

At this time you cannot buy C+ with the companion certificate. With the recent change you can at least get an upgrade (usual rules).
Damn... Well maybe that'll change at some point since C+ has been rolled out gradually.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Damn... Well maybe that'll change at some point since C+ has been rolled out gradually.
It really should be, especially at this point. What has to be changed is the contract between AMEX and DL. Neither one can make a unilateral change.

I had discussed this with DL after C+ came out and the agent agreed that it made sense, but they haven't seen fit to change the contract yet.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I didn't think you could pay to upgrade, but as you point out you would never want to. Also, I guess you still can't get C+ with the certificate, but now you can upgrade for free (possibly).

I think you and I have both written about itineraries where you didn't get A or I for all legs. In the past I just waited until something became available (have always been able to use my certificate and my wife's). Since we can now get upgraded I might be more inclined to choose one of those. It's usually been the MCO-ATL leg and with C+ it's not a big deal.
Yeah, I think we have. And that's a really good point. I'm flying this week on a Reserve cert that is a couple hours later than what I actually wanted b/c all the earlier itins were mixed cabin. With the new upgrade rules, I'd be totally fine riding in F for 4+ hours and then finishing the last 90 mins in C+ (with a good chance at a medallion UG).

Yeah, the equation is a little different for everyone. I would probably say that it's not worth the $450 AF on the Reserve if you would only purchase C+ with it (unless you're going to use a TON of SkyClubs, which I imagine you wouldn't if you're not on DL enough to even make FO).

Still, even when I had the DL Plat cert, I got some pretty good uses on it by applying it to particularly expensive, but very short routes. I can deal with regular coach seats for under 2 hours when I'm saving $300-$400.

Agree with others who are saying you should be able to just buy C+. DL is kind of screwing themselves out of revenue at that point.

And while medallions can UG to C+, I believe strickerj has no status so that doesn't help him/her.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Yeah, I think we have. And that's a really good point. I'm flying this week on a Reserve cert that is a couple hours later than what I actually wanted b/c all the earlier itins were mixed cabin. With the new upgrade rules, I'd be totally fine riding in F for 4+ hours and then finishing the last 90 mins in C+ (with a good chance at a medallion UG).

Yeah, the equation is a little different for everyone. I would probably say that it's not worth the $450 AF on the Reserve if you would only purchase C+ with it (unless you're going to use a TON of SkyClubs, which I imagine you wouldn't if you're not on DL enough to even make FO).

Still, even when I had the DL Plat cert, I got some pretty good uses on it by applying it to particularly expensive, but very short routes. I can deal with regular coach seats for under 2 hours when I'm saving $300-$400.

Agree with others who are saying you should be able to just buy C+. DL is kind of screwing themselves out of revenue at that point.

And while medallions can UG to C+, I believe strickerj has no status so that doesn't help him/her.
Yep, no status for me. And when I do travel, it's with my wife, so I'd still be paying to guest her in even with the Delta Reserve card. I might still go for the Skymiles Platinum though... We started buying up to C+ for the priority boarding (back when it was Economy Comfort and relatively cheap), so regular coach with the Zone 1 boarding that comes with the Skymiles AmEx would be good enough. A free coach ticket is surely worth $100 a year to me. Thanks for everyone's insight!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:42 pm

Yeah I've been kind of waffling between the AmEx Platinum and the Chase Sapphire Reserve - AmEx definitely gets you more benefits, but CSR is ultimately a lot cheaper since the $300 travel credit would be much easier for me to use than the AmEx airline fee credit. Plus by most accounts, UR points are more valuable than MR.

Plus I'm a millennial, so apparently I'm supposed to think AmEx is "stodgy" now...
The Amex airline fee credit can easily be used by purchasing a gift certificate on Delta, in $50 increments. Also, remember that the Amex card now offers $200/year in Uber credits, so there is an instant $400 rebate between those two programs if used well. Also, if you watch the Amex "offers" its not hard to make up the rest. I just used an offer that was for a $100 statement credit when you spend $500 on Delta, bringing my annual savings right away to $500 between all programs, and it could go higher depending on which offers I use.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:10 pm

The Amex airline fee credit can easily be used by purchasing a gift certificate on Delta, in $50 increments. Also, remember that the Amex card now offers $200/year in Uber credits, so there is an instant $400 rebate between those two programs if used well. Also, if you watch the Amex "offers" its not hard to make up the rest. I just used an offer that was for a $100 statement credit when you spend $500 on Delta, bringing my annual savings right away to $500 between all programs, and it could go higher depending on which offers I use.
Oh yeah, I just bought a couple GCs with my AmEx PRG credit. There's a limit to how many you can use at one time though, right?

​​​
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:13 pm

Oh yeah, I just bought a couple GCs with my AmEx PRG credit. There's a limit to how many you can use at one time though, right?

​​​
Oh, just checked and you can use up to 9 at a time. I thought it was something like 2... That's not bad then.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:21 pm

Oh, just checked and you can use up to 9 at a time. I thought it was something like 2... That's not bad then.
9, really? It for sure used to be 2 or 3.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:30 pm

9, really? It for sure used to be 2 or 3.
Yep, just went to redeem certificates and gift cards and clicked "add more" twice, and it gave me fields for 9 of them. I didn't actually try putting mine in and proceeding though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.