Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2021, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
You will have to book main cabin initially. After booking you should be able to select C+ seats and pay for them for both of you (or not pay if you get it for free with elite status). You have to be in the same cabin when using a companion certificate, but that's what you want to do anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.
Thought So. Thank you so much.

den
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The website remains hopelessly broken for booking these (recently, if searching XXX-YYY round trip it seems to try to give you two consecutive XXX-YYY one-ways before panic aborting). Booked via agent this morning and got some squirrelliness about whether the terms would permit an I fare without an LUTXV supporter, but a gentle push and a "well let's see what the computer says" and I was able to confirm in I (Q) and save a handy $1,400. I still think this is one of the better benefits out there, and bundled with SC access too
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ssung
You should be able to book your second child on a separate itinerary by calling Delta. Inform the agent that you're booking a flight for your second minor child on the same flight you're on. The agent should be able to book a flight for your second child and link that itinerary to your itinerary. Your wife will have to be on a third itinerary if she's only flying on inbound.
But IIRC don't do this if you have status and hope for an upgrade.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
If a Medallion member is traveling with a single no-status companion on the same PNR, they are eligible for upgrades at the Medallion member's priority, so long as the companion has a SkyMiles number entered.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
If a Medallion member is traveling with a single no-status companion on the same PNR, they are eligible for upgrades at the Medallion member's priority, so long as the companion has a SkyMiles number entered.
Right, but then it says if you are on different reservations that have been linked and the other person has a lower status (as opposed to no status) they get upgraded at their individual statuses instead of both at the higher one, and if you have two or more companions you get FUBAR.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Right, but then it says if you are on different reservations that have been linked and the other person has a lower status (as opposed to no status) they get upgraded at their individual statuses instead of both at the higher one, and if you have two or more companions you get FUBAR.
It's not clear to me that the two contradict each other, although I guess we're into the sort of edge case situation that FTers like to speculate about so if you have a companion on the same PNR *and* a linked companion on a separate PNR, then which set of rules applies? -- and maybe the answer is "both"? i.e. I could see hypothetically that you and the companion on the same PNR clear at your priority, and the person on the linked PNR clears at their own respective status if they have one, or yours otherwise.

Obviously we need someone to be a test case
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can link PNRs without impacting upgrade eligibility. In this case the linked person is only there to indicate the passengers are all travelling together and not for the purpose of upgrades. At any rate, OP couldn't be upgraded anyway as it would leave unattended minor in separate cabin (I forget the age cutoff, but 5 and 7 are definitely too young).
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:41 pm

Have these certificates become useless? I've tried to use mine on many occasions since covid. Every time it says "Sold out".

They always had limited availability, but it used to be booking 2 months in advance 80%+ of date/time would work.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Have these certificates become useless? I've tried to use mine on many occasions since covid. Every time it says "Sold out".

They always had limited availability, but it used to be booking 2 months in advance 80%+ of date/time would work.
You have to pay attention to fare classes. For the Platinum coach certificate, you need two seats in fare classes L U T X or V and to use the Reserve certificate in first, it has to be I or Z inventory. Some destinations ae harder than others with that- Saturdays to and from resort areas may have extremely scant tickets for those fare buckets.

I live in a place where other people go on vacation and end up often booking on Tuesdays or Wednesdays with the companion tickets because it's easiest to find those fare buckets on those days of the week.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by beachmouse; Oct 26, 2021 at 12:19 pm
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by johndoe123
As I posted upthread, I just used one to save $1,400 (peak Thanksgiving dates) so I wouldn't say so.

L or lower isn't thathard to spot, and I class is even more plentiful, but ymmv. I would not necessarily rely on the website display as it is very broken.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:50 am

Good point, however HaydukeMT wants to use a companion certificate and the companion certificate only allows one to book two pax. Any additional travelers beyond the two on the companion certificate reservation will have to have a separate PNR.

Last edited by ssung; Oct 27, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Question about using travel voucher +companion cert

Can I use the travel voucher that came with my Platinum choice Benefit to book myself AND use the Reserve card companion cert for hubs on the same booking?
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marylou
Can I use the travel voucher that came with my Platinum choice Benefit to book myself AND use the Reserve card companion cert for hubs on the same booking?
No, Companion Cert tickets must be purchased with an Amex card and you can't apply eCredits towards purchase.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Thanks👍
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
As of today you are allowed to use credits when applying a companion certificate. I was able to do it today but it took 50 minutes since no one really knows how it works yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.