Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Any idea why the companion certificate is charging $277.21 for a passenger (excluding taxes and fees) when a single ticket or 2 passenger fare is $240.00/person in "U" fare?

AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Can you cancel the AMEX companion ticket without losing it?

My wife booked a trip for us using the AMEX companion ticket and now with the Delta variant surging we are thinking about canceling the trip.

I know that in the past DL would not return the companion certificate to your account, has anyone succeeded in getting this policy waived?
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
I have been successful with having companion certificate travel rescheduled to a later date and a different destination.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
Further more, don't think you can use the lowest FC fare displayed for the companion cert to work - they bump it up to an 'I' fare and the savings are more like 50% for the companion fare instead of the 'promised' 100% compared to the cost if you purchased 2 FC tickets!

Somewhat of a 'bait and switch' if you ask me!
My first time using a companion cert. I think I am running into the same issue. Although I think my example is worse than 50%. A regular booking for my trip (GEG-SLC) for 2 FC tickets shows $873.60. When I go to apply a companion cert the total is $745.60. A little over a $100 off?? Is this normal? Definitely not a 2 for 1 deal. Companion certs appear to be pointless in my book unless I am doing something wrong here.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
We don’t have alternative travel dates at this point and I don’t want to lose the certificate. Has anyone been successful in having DL simply return it to their account?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
We don’t have alternative travel dates at this point and I don’t want to lose the certificate. Has anyone been successful in having DL simply return it to their account?
No changes fees, just book something.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
To answer your question directly, yes I have, but only in the situation of schedule changes or cancellations where I was eligible for a refund. To avoid losing the cert for a voluntary cancellation, I'd simply modify your itinerary to a future date (as far out as the calendar permits) where you find a comparable price. Then when you reschedule your trip just modify the itinerary again. This will be a lot easier for the agents than reopening the cert, if they even agree to do it.
tvnwz and manually like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I booked a few companion tickets today and ran into the same issue of higher pricing on the companion ticket than expected. I went through with the purchase and noticed that the outbound booked in V as expected, but the return booked into L instead of V, which is what delta.com displays as the lowest available when certificates are not applied. I spoke to an agent who told me that it was because there was no availability in V specifically for companion certificates. This really doesn't make sense to me. If what the agent said is valid, clearly not all inventory in a given fare bucket is available to use when applying a companion certificate, and in my opinion is a bit deceptive.
hurnik and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:32 pm

Using Multiple Companion Certificates?

Have the Delta Amex Reserve. I have a couple extra unused companion certificates and would like to use them for my wife and I and another couple to travel together.

Is it possible to purchase two first class fares and use two certificates on the same itinerary? Or do two separate itineraries if that's not possible? Do I have to be one of the traveler's if two separate itineraries?

Example:
I pay for my ticket, my wife is companion.
I "pay" for his ticket, his wife uses my other certificate?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Jason Gaffney
Is it possible to purchase two first class fares and use two certificates on the same itinerary? Or do two separate itineraries if that's not possible? Do I have to be one of the traveler's if two separate itineraries?

Example:
I pay for my ticket, my wife is companion.
I "pay" for his ticket, his wife uses my other certificate?
Pretty sure you can only use one certificate for one traveler + companion in a given itinerary. However there is no requirement that you be one of the travelers (and also if you are, you can be the companion instead of the "primary" should that be desirable for some reason)

So the scenario in your last paragraph should work fine.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You can’t put on the same ticket but you can buy for the other couple on their behalf. However once you “transfer” it to them to book, you can’t transfer back so by the T&Cs if it’s later canceled you can’t get it back (though YMMV with COVID waivers and what not).

The T&Cs require your AMEX to be used for booking the ticket (though in practice historically I’ve been able to use any AMEX in my name — notably the AMEX Plat for the 5x MR) so you will likely have to actually complete the entire transaction and then just get reimbursed from him offline.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:12 pm

Thank you for the replies, this is exactly what I was hoping. Purchase 1 pair full price/companion itinerary for us and then book another pair full price/companion itinerary on the same flight for them. They would give me the cash offline.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
If you want the MQM & MQD for both you and your wife, book 1 ticket for you and one of the other couple and the second ticket for your wife as the primary and the other person from the other couple as the secondary. You also keep control of the credits if the trip is cancelled. The other couple can reimburse you for half of the total cost to take any fare differences into account.
EkekoBWI likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
If you want the MQM & MQD for both you and your wife, book 1 ticket for you and one of the other couple and the second ticket for your wife as the primary and the other person from the other couple as the secondary. You also keep control of the credits if the trip is cancelled. The other couple can reimburse you for half of the total cost to take any fare differences into account.
Thanks, we decided to do just that when we planned it out today. She and I both have TSA pre-check and she has a secondary Amex card on my account.

Figured we could each be the primary and book for them so they can use our pre-check and we can get them into sky club as guests.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Jason Gaffney
Thanks, we decided to do just that when we planned it out today. She and I both have TSA pre-check and she has a secondary Amex card on my account.

Figured we could each be the primary and book for them so they can use our pre-check and we can get them into sky club as guests.
They won't get your Precheck. That is not a companion benefit but based on having a KTN.

When the trip gets close, get them a CLEAR trial which they can give up after the 3 months is up. That'll get them past the regular line. The best for your purposes would be an unbranded AMEX Platinum and her with a second AMEX Platinum card on the account. Then you both get in the club with 2 guests each.

What type of account is her secondary on and what card is it? She may or may not get access and guest privileges on her own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.