Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2024, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by StuartMI
Exactly what I experienced. Any suggestions on how to get around this?
In the past, I HUCA until I get a competent agent who is willing to use DLTERM and their common sense.

The issue I had was nearly always the I versus Z issue, and it would usually take 3-5 calls to get someone who understood that the failure to price the lowest fare was a bug.
hurnik likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by StuartMI
So you would just accept nothing, then?
I would wait for the Cert to be deposited into my account. In what scenario is anyone forced to "just accept nothing"?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by lindros2
That's not the point. "Accept nothing" really isn't an acceptable option, either.

$200 < [possible companion fare]

A delay in companion certs is occurring the year they increased AF by $100, AND expanded the usage to more of the world.
So if it's not available, then they bait-and-switch to $200, it's a massive devaluation of one of the key reasons to even carry the card.
(I regularly get $450-700 in companion cert value)
"Not available" is a temporary status. The Cert will be issued/deposited. The deposit date has simply changed (and apparently, for good reason).

Why are we pretending that the Cert is going to be "not available" permanently?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I had my annual fee on 8 Feb, and the cert appeared in my account on 13 Feb (which says it was issued 01 Feb). As noted by others, it is designated differently. The old cert just had an expiration date, but the new cert clearly denotes the date as a "Book By and Fly By", which I like to avoid some confusion I had with these the first time I tried to use one:

I did some tests using the new certificate from ATL:
  • no First (even with I and Z availability), but could get Economy and Comfort+
    • ANC, FAI, HNL, OGG
  • ALL classes of service available
    • SJO, LAS (testing the existing domestic option), MEX, UVF, PTY
  • NO classes of service available
    • SXM, YYZ, YVR (Edit: Canada is not an option)
So it looks like some destinations are working, some are partial, and some not at all. I'm interested in using this to one of the new expanded destinations (and unfortunately, one that's not working properly right now) so that's something I'll have to pursue further.
findark and Minnyappleus like this.

Last edited by StSebastian; Feb 16, 2024 at 8:10 pm Reason: Remove incorrectly included Canada destinations
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by StSebastian
I had my annual fee on 8 Feb, and the cert appeared in my account on 13 Feb (which says it was issued 01 Feb). As noted by others, it is designated differently. The old cert just had an expiration date, but the new cert clearly denotes the date as a "Book By and Fly By", which I like to avoid some confusion I had with these the first time I tried to use one:

I did some tests using the new certificate from ATL:
  • no First (even with I and Z availability), but could get Economy and Comfort+
    • ANC, FAI, HNL, OGG
  • ALL classes of service available
    • SJO, LAS (testing the existing domestic option), MEX, UVF, PTY
  • NO classes of service available
    • SXM, YYZ, YVR
So it looks like some destinations are working, some are partial, and some not at all. I'm interested in using this to one of the new expanded destinations (and unfortunately, one that's not working properly right now) so that's something I'll have to pursue further.
Canada (YVR/YYZ) was never supposed to work with the new certs.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Feb 14, 2024 at 1:41 pm
Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by chipbennett
"Not available" is a temporary status. The Cert will be issued/deposited. The deposit date has simply changed (and apparently, for good reason).

Why are we pretending that the Cert is going to be "not available" permanently?
because some dimwit agent threw out the $200 credit to another member.
Thanks for gaslighting.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by lindros2
because some dimwit agent threw out the $200 credit to another member.
Thanks for gaslighting.
And the agent forced the member to accept the $200 credit? Or was it completely within the agency of that member to decline the offer?

The only gaslighting here is the suggestion that members are being forced to take a $200 credit in lieu of a Companion Cert.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Did my own testing with the new AMEX Reserve cert. Some observations:

(**Note: every destination I checked was a Saturday to Saturday in each of October, November, December. And all flights required two segments as we'd be flying from MKE. I did NOT check every possibility available for the cert - about 1/2 dozen I didn't try because have been recently or just tried to keep my effort somewhat simpler):

- Seems to be pretty closely tied to I/Z fares, but not exactly.
- Some destinations wide open in all classes, some showed nothing in any class.

Caribbean:
> Wide open: Cuba (HAV), Bahamas (NAS), Turks & Caicos (PLS), Jamaica (MBJ), St Lucia (UVF)
> Nothing available: USVI (STT), Antigua (ANU), Bonaire (BON)
> Mixed availability: SJU, Aruba (AUA), Bermuda (BDA)
> Didn't check: Grand Cayman (GCM), Dominican Republic (SDQ), St Kitts (SKB), St Maarten (SXM)

Central America:
> Wide Open: Belize (BZE)
> Nothing Available: None
> Mixed Availability: Guatemala (GUA), Panama (PTY), El Salvador (SAL), Honduras (both RTB and SAP)
> Didn't Check: All of Mexico, Costa Rica

Some FC cash prices were pretty high (AUA), some really cheap (<$900 including GUA and SAL)

Of course the couple that I am interested in are zero or low availability, but have no definite plans so will use for whatever makes sense when we want to go.
lindros2 likes this.

Last edited by TommyD2; Feb 16, 2024 at 7:45 am Reason: formatting
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that you can now use Flexible Dates search when using Companion Certs which should help finding dates with availability if you have flexibility. Don't be surprised if finding dates with I/Z bucket open in F (or L/U/T/X/V in coach) is going to be more challenging during popular travel times with depatures dates around weekends.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Note that you can now use Flexible Dates search when using Companion Certs which should help finding dates with availability if you have flexibility. Don't be surprised if finding dates with I/Z bucket open in F (or L/U/T/X/V in coach) is going to be more challenging during popular travel times with depatures dates around weekends.
Yes, although I think it basically gives you a +/- 3 days, but not a monthly calendar (which would be nice, IMO).
But it's better than nothing.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:08 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Canada (YVR/YYZ) was never supposed to work with the new certs.
You’re right - I had North America in my head, but that’s not correct in regards to Canada. I was trying to test a variety of different airports in the expanded list. I’ll have to check again after giving a little time to iron out the inconsistencies I encountered, or for others to figure out the way to get those to work.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
How hard would it be, to get to MIA-HNL or MIA-ANC or Canada?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:37 pm

Any recent DPs of when Reserve Companion Certificate and Skyclub Vouchers are posting?
My anniversary date is 2/7/2023. My annual fee of $550 should be posting on March 10, 2024. Still have not received Companion Cert or Skyclub Vouchers. I did have (1) Voucher expire 2/11/24. New ones have not posted yet.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by sg4515
Any recent DPs of when Reserve Companion Certificate and Skyclub Vouchers are posting?
My anniversary date is 2/7/2023. My annual fee of $550 should be posting on March 10, 2024. Still have not received Companion Cert or Skyclub Vouchers. I did have (1) Voucher expire 2/11/24. New ones have not posted yet.
Technically Amex can give you the cert on or after 4/10 once the 30 days to cancel the card passes. But you will likely see it before then.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sg4515
Renewal fee is now $650. For the last several years, I've gotten the email for the companion cert on either the 8th or 9th of the month of my card renewal (the issue date says the 1st and expiration is the 30th of the following month -- it's not the same expiration as the Sky Club guest passes). The renewal fee has not posted until later in the month. I would wait a few more days for them to post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.