Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
I am seeing business awards to Asia that require a stop (JFK-SIN and JFK-BOM for example) all price as two awards rather than one through fare (and this is when low is available on the Delta flight). So JFK-SHA as a 100K award then SHA-SIN as a 40K award for a 140K award. Similarly JFK-LHR at 84k award plus LHR-BOM as a 65k award for a total of 151K. You can tell when you look at fare details. What is going on? Is this just a delta.com error. We still can't see partner connecting to a partner flight (meaning when two long haul partner flights) on delta.com (only if you call) and the full 90 day advance purchase nonsense. Is Delta again changing the program. 140k to SIN and 151K to India as one way low J awards is crazy compared to other airlines. Btw JFK-DXB (so Middle East) which requires a similar stop in Europe still prices as a 85K through award and not as two awards. So weird.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
I am seeing business awards to Asia that require a stop (JFK-SIN and JFK-BOM for example) all price as two awards rather than one through fare (and this is when low is available on the Delta flight). So JFK-SHA as a 100K award then SHA-SIN as a 40K award for a 140K award. Similarly JFK-LHR at 84k award plus LHR-BOM as a 65k award for a total of 151K. You can tell when you look at fare details. What is going on? Is this just a delta.com error. We still can't see partner connecting to a partner flight (meaning when two long haul partner flights) on delta.com (only if you call) and the full 90 day advance purchase nonsense. Is Delta again changing the program. 140k to SIN and 151K to India as one way low J awards is crazy compared to other airlines. Btw JFK-DXB (so Middle East) which requires a similar stop in Europe still prices as a 85K through award and not as two awards. So weird.
JL just did a massive downgrade of the JAL MileageBank program today. No more through fares: all connecting flights have to be booked as separate tickets. (That and also Delta-style up to 5x higher variable mileage pricing vs. one fixed price.) When it doesn't lead the charge in devaluation, Delta likes to follow other airlines when there is any FFP downgrade, so..

With more and more airlines doing segment-by-segment pricing for awards (VS, BA and now JL are three that come immediately to mind, and of course there's more), and Delta already doing so with VS (that is using the DL reservations system), it's been clear for the last few years that DL intends to make SlyMiles to a segment-by-segment program. I sure hope that I am wrong on this, of course...but...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
I just booked EWR>ATL>NRT in Delta One Suites for cherry blossom season in Tokyo. 90,000 SM (x2) with a cash value of about $4,700 per ticket. Napkin math puts the redemption at about 5 cents per mile.

SUPER EXCITED! Will be first time in Japan.

Interestingly, it shows the metal as a 777-200 but I thought that they would be flying the A350 between ATL>NRT as of March. What are my chances that this changes between now and then?

Any tips for me? Things to do, seats to select, things to experience on the flight itself, etc?
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just used successfully for RDU - SEA - RDU. C+ cleared at booking and as noted in RUC thread was able to confirm RUCs as well (though first time I called the rep was surprised when I told her that RUCs could be applied to companion passes -- second rep did it without a second thought).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Hey flyers. A friend has offered me his companion certificate. Hoping I can use this with another friend for a trip planned late January.

Question? Does medallion benefits apply to our certificate flights? ie delta comfort upgrades, first, etc.

Also, do we recieve MQMs for the flights? Or is it zilch?

We are planning on paying cash (AMEX) for one flight and freebie with the cert. Booking in main cabin.

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mridley2
Question? Does medallion benefits apply to our certificate flights? ie delta comfort upgrades, first, etc.

You get whatever normal Medallion benefits you would have had.

Only the person designated as the primary traveler earns MQMs/MQDs. The companion doesn't earn anything.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mridley2
Hey flyers. A friend has offered me his companion certificate. Hoping I can use this with another friend for a trip planned late January.

We are planning on paying cash (AMEX) for one flight and freebie with the cert. Booking in main cabin.

Thanks
Medallion benefits follow the person traveling. If you (Medallion) are traveling, you get your benefits. Also, if your companion includes a skymiles number, then both of you are offered the opportunity of medallion upgrades at the priority of the higher status person on the PNR. If the companion doesn't have a skymiles number, then no upgrades for either of you. Since skymiles numbers are free, make sure companion has their own skymiles account number. The person who's ticket is full price earns MQMs, and the companion ticket does not earn MQMs.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
I have successfully used my AmEx certificates for many years, but I was now looking for availability this summer going from the West (PHX, LAX) to BTV (and back). On many days there is plenty of LUTXV availability, and apparently not a broken fare, but I get an error message suggesting there is no availability when I try to use the certificate. Can anyone explain what may be going on here?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I have had success using the certificate the last 2 year. We always forget we have it and trying to find something the last 2 months of the year gets tough. We will be going ATL-SAN in 2 weeks and already cleared upgrade to F.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by PHXflier
I have successfully used my AmEx certificates for many years, but I was now looking for availability this summer going from the West (PHX, LAX) to BTV (and back). On many days there is plenty of LUTXV availability, and apparently not a broken fare, but I get an error message suggesting there is no availability when I try to use the certificate. Can anyone explain what may be going on here?
You'll have to call the number listed on the error message, but I vaguely recall searching this thread that sometimes there's an oddity in the fare rules like you can only travel on Tuesday or some such nonsense.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHXflier

I just tried a number of searches as well and it does seem to have issues with flights which appear that they should have availability. Couldn't see anything that explains it. Have you tried calling yet?

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 17, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:25 am

Can I get a seat assignment on AF? Y ticket using DL skymiles

Is there a way to get an advanced seat assignment on AF flight in Y booked with skymiles? Seat map is all dark on DL website, but AF website shows lots of seats.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by myleguy
Is there a way to get an advanced seat assignment on AF flight in Y booked with skymiles? Seat map is all dark on DL website, but AF website shows lots of seats.
Why not just load up your PNR on airfrance.us and select your seats there? The seats should be always selected on the operating airline site if you want it to stick and work, doing it on dullta.com often doesn't work at all, and even when it looks like it does, there is a good chance that it doesn't really save with the operating carrier.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
I just can't get a companion ticket (Delta AmEx Platinum) although I tried to book unrestricted main cabin. I gave up.
My question is-Is the card still worth its annual fee? The companion ticket was my attraction to AmEx Delta Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.