Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by muji
Hello, vm81.

That check application status page is only for personal card applications, not for business card applications.

I just updated the wiki to note that.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Whats the verdict on whether to call Reconsideration - was grilled for 50 mins by Chase reps on Friday for Marriott business card so would like to avoid that with BofA
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by vm81
Thanks for clarifying that.

Whats the verdict on whether to call Reconsideration - was grilled for 50 mins by Chase reps on Friday for Marriott business card so would like to avoid that with BofA
Call and be prepared to open a $1500 CD with them or maybe send in two yrs. of tax returns (my option when I applied). Search this thread for "1500" and you will see many examples.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Call and be prepared to open a $1500 CD with them or maybe send in two yrs. of tax returns (my option when I applied). Search this thread for "1500" and you will see many examples.
Called in this morning - had bunch of questions about the business. I am not sure if all of a sudden I am doing something wrong or this is new reality - but got grilled by Chase as well last week on my business.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called in this morning - had bunch of questions about the business. I am not sure if all of a sudden I am doing something wrong or this is new reality - but got grilled by Chase as well last week on my business.
You are presumably giving real business info or something that looks like it?

We don't yet have any datapoints about anyone being asked a bunch of questions about the business when they applied giving:

Their name as the business name
Their address as the business address
Their phone as the business phone
0 years in business
$0 business income to date
minimum employees (0 or 1)
Sole Proprietor

Ie, it may be easier to get approved if you pretend you don't have a business (whether you have one or not) than if you give real info about a real business.

And why did you call Chase? It's well documented in the Chase "applying" thread that it's not a good idea (and rarely necessary for approval) to call about business card application just because they ask you to call.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Final result?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Final result?
Well they said they are putting in for approval - should happen in a day or so. I dont see it online yet...so who knows.

It was same thing with Chase - CSR said she is recommending approval but still need a sign off from higher ups...waiting on that as well.

After not seeing anything for 2 days - called in again. So it was a wasted HP. Now they want some kind of business documentation for the business and I have nothing being in NY. Sole proprietors in NY dont need fictitious certificate, there are no tax returns for new business.

There was no offer for $1500 CD

Last edited by vm81; Feb 7, 2018 at 6:55 am Reason: Update
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:35 am

Well they said they are putting in for approval - should happen in a day or so. I dont see it online yet...so who knows.

It was same thing with Chase - CSR said she is recommending approval but still need a sign off from higher ups...waiting on that as well.

After not seeing anything for 2 days - called in again. So it was a wasted HP. Now they want some kind of business documentation for the business and I have nothing being in NY. Sole proprietors in NY dont need fictitious certificate, there are no tax returns for new business.

There was no offer for $1500 CD
IDK if this applies to you or not.

I do know that if your total credit line with a single bank is too high (esp Chase and Citi), the front line CSR cannot do a final approval. All they can do is 'recommend' approval, then send the app on for consideration by a higher level analyst. The TCL that B/A is comfortable with is far lower than say Chase/Citi. B/A often gives me a $5K cl with a AS card, whereas Chase/Citi may give me anywhere from $13K to $26K. So if you have any B/A cards open with more than say $2K on them, and you don't need that much cl, lower them. And make sure you lower all B/A cards to no more than $2K a couple days before you close them.
vm81 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:58 am

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a predicament here. DW applied for an Alaska 30K+$100 credit last night at 11pm PST (I know! should have waited for business hours). She got approved for a $4K limit Platinum She's had probably 3 Alaska cards over the last 3 years with the last approval being 6 months ago. We lowered her previous card's 20K limit to 3K, waited a month and then cancelled card and waited another month
before this application. She's probably at 8/24 with most of them being Citi AAs.

I searched through the previous thread and based on Brugge/sdsearch/Richard Berg's posts, it appeared that our two options were to apply again the same day OR call up recon and have them initiate an app from their end to get a new Signature card. We called up the CSR and while polite, he was adamant that the $4K limit was all that we could get (couldn't start another app)? Perhaps we didn't ask the question the right way.

So, can DW apply for the card again and hope she gets a Signature or a recon? Will that be a new pull because our previous app was at 11pm PST last night? Any other advice? If this is too much trouble we might just cancel the Platinum outright and see what happens a month or two from now.

Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by sriirvine
Hello,

I'm in a bit of a predicament here. DW applied for an Alaska 30K+$100 credit last night at 11pm PST (I know! should have waited for business hours). She got approved for a $4K limit Platinum She's had probably 3 Alaska cards over the last 3 years with the last approval being 6 months ago. We lowered her previous card's 20K limit to 3K, waited a month and then cancelled card and waited another month
before this application. She's probably at 8/24 with most of them being Citi AAs.

I searched through the previous thread and based on Brugge/sdsearch/Richard Berg's posts, it appeared that our two options were to apply again the same day OR call up recon and have them initiate an app from their end to get a new Signature card. We called up the CSR and while polite, he was adamant that the $4K limit was all that we could get (couldn't start another app)? Perhaps we didn't ask the question the right way.

So, can DW apply for the card again and hope she gets a Signature or a recon? Will that be a new pull because our previous app was at 11pm PST last night? Any other advice? If this is too much trouble we might just cancel the Platinum outright and see what happens a month or two from now.

Thanks.
An app the following day will definitely be another HP.

Unlike Barclays, with B/A you can "HUCA". I'd try at least 3 more times to find someone who will redo the app for you. It's extra work for the CSR, and some just don't want to bother. I'm afraid if you can't find someone willing to redo the app "from their side", your best option is to just cancel this app, and try your luck again in a month or two. And next time don't do a personal app, apply for the Bus card, which AFAIK doesn't have a lower level option. Don't worry about having a business. Apply as just starting a new one even if you really do have one already. Business name is your name, tax number is your social security number, address is your home address, number of years in bus is 0, number of employees is 1 (you), Sole proprietorship, .gross sales 0 (so far). And remember for the personal income part, your DW lists the total household income, not just her income.

Good Luck
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:28 pm

A few questions about the different "earning plans" for the business card:
Business Level Earning Plan: $50 for the company and $25 per card.
Individual Level Earning Plan: $0 for the company and $75 per card.
Am I right in reading this to imply that the charge for a primary applicant (the sole proprietor, let's say) plus an AU is
  • $100 (50 + 25x2) under the BLP, and
  • $150 (2x75) under the ILP?

I've read the wiki & the last few weeks of posts in the thread. While I gather that the card owner accrues all the miles for spend under either plan, I have not seen a concise description of what happens (or which plan one should choose) in the case of two cardholders. TIA for any illumination on this point.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
A few questions about the different "earning plans" for the business card:

Am I right in reading this to imply that the charge for a primary applicant (the sole proprietor, let's say) plus an AU is
  • $100 (50 + 25x2) under the BLP, and
  • $150 (2x75) under the ILP?
I've read the wiki & the last few weeks of posts in the thread. While I gather that the card owner accrues all the miles for spend under either plan, I have not seen a concise description of what happens (or which plan one should choose) in the case of two cardholders. TIA for any illumination on this point.
Can you actually put an AU on a business card (BofA's or enyone else's)? I don't think I've heard of that before. Additional cards on business cards are usually employee cards, not AU cards. Personal cards have no concept such as employee cards, and thus that's why AU cards are common with personal cards.

I'm guessing the "per card" is referring to employee cards in this case.

Meanwhile, I also assume that you cannot add employee cards if you choose the Individual Level plan, that you must choose the Business Level plan if you're going to add employee cards.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Unlike Barclays, with B/A you can "HUCA". I'd try at least 3 more times to find someone who will redo the app for you. It's extra work for the CSR, and some just don't want to bother. I'm afraid if you can't find someone willing to redo the app "from their side", your best option is to just cancel this app, and try your luck again in a month or two.
Robert, thanks for the reply. To close the loop here, DW tried three more times and got denied each time. So, she just cancelled. We will try again later and this time do it during work hours!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by sriirvine
Robert, thanks for the reply. To close the loop here, DW tried three more times and got denied each time. So, she just cancelled. We will try again later and this time do it during work hours!
Sorry about that.

For the next app, I'm not sure 'work hours' helps anymore, as CSRs seem much less wiling to help out than they used to be. Strongly advise applying for the Bus version next time, for the reasons I listed in my post above.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Lightbulb Existing Platinum Plus card (old account) --> Signature?

I've searched and can't quite get the answer(s) I'm looking for in my case.

I've had an Alaska Airlines credit card since I was a wee thing (college student, circa 2008), but since I applied so early on in my credit journey, I was given a Platinum Plus card with a small CL ($2000, if I remember correctly). I've received a companion fare every year since then (my history shows that the first one I got was a $50 ticket companion certificate), a standard multiplier bonus (2x) when booking Alaska fares with the card, and BoA finally started increasing my credit limit a few years ago. It's $12k now.

Side note: I have an additional Visa Signature card through Wells Fargo, which I rarely use. That card has been open since c.2004.

Anyway, is it worth the time to pursue an upgrade to the Alaska Visa Signature card? It seems like my old account has been grandfathered into some of the perks, while leaving some Sig perks out. Anyone out there have a similar experience?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I got a denial for Alaska biz card (used name as biz name, $0 revenue, new business)
would like to solicit the $1500 CD offer. should I call recon or would the denial letter offer that option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.